Groundspeak offers new "Send to Garmin" feature

JohnCNA

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/04/new-a-magic-button-for-your-garmin-gps/

So this sounded like it might be nice, but I'm somewhat underwhelmed..

If you don't already have it, you have to install Garmin Express.

That's actually OK, since GE will check your firmware version and prompt you if there is updated firmware for your device when you run it.

There's a new List page, with an option to "Send to Garmin" for the lists.

Select that, and it runs Garmin Express and asks if you want to allow the download.

Then it sends a GPX file to the internal memory/GPX directory of the device.

What I don't like:

Appends a random generated extension to the list filename each time, so the less technically inclined will eventually find the internal memory filling up.

It does not give any options to clear out previous list(s).

It does not give the option to download to a memory card if you have one installed.

It does not reliably start Garmin Express. I have to select the option several times before GE starts.

Even if GE is already running, it does not reliably 'find' it.

GE often gives an error message that the content is corrupt.

Decent enough idea, just needs more work, IMHO.

What I don't like:

Appends a random generated extension to the list filename each time, so the less technically inclined will eventually find the internal memory filling up.

Perhaps a legitimate complaint since lists do have unique IDs already.

It does not give any options to clear out previous list(s).

I'm not sure that this is feasible. Garmin Express is merely acting as an intermediary between the data generated by Groundspeak and your GPS. Garmin would have to come up with some way to differentiate between the gpx files created by lists and those created by pocket queries or other methods. I think we'll have to be responsible for our own management of caches once they're on the device.

It does not give the option to download to a memory card if you have one installed.

That's on Garmin's end to add that to the next update of Garmin Express.

It does not reliably start Garmin Express. I have to select the option several times before GE starts.

I've only tried it a handful of times as my script for unzipping pocket query files and loading them on the GPS is much more efficient for me. I've yet to experience this problem (running Chrome on a Mac). The problem here could be anywhere from Groundspeak, your choice of browser, your OS, or your Garmin Express installation.

Again, hard to tell where the problem is. There is a known issue with the UTF-8 encoding in the GPX file not creating some special characters. But I doubt that's the source of data corruption in your case.

Anyway, the point is that there are some improvements that Groundspeak can make, many that Garmin needs to make, and some that may be out of both hands.

I've used it a couple of times and so far it is working for me. The process has several additional steps compared to just clicking "send to gps" (for instance you need to have Garmin Express open) but it eventually does the same thing. Well, a similar thing: Instead of sending a .gpx file with one cache in it using the GC code for the cache, it creates a .gpx file using the name of your list. I've been using a Garmin Oregon 600 for a while so I'm used to most of the common quirks of the .gpx files and the need to connect to the computer to load or delete caches but if you are not there is a learning curve. For instance, the next time you send your list this way it will overwrite the first list using the same name. The original file has been replaced with the new one. If you don't want this to happen, you'll need to rename the list. I use an sd card in my GPSr and the Send to Garmin process doesn't give you the option to select that as a destination; if you want it to go there, you'll need to move it over using your computer. For folks comfortable with using pocket queries and GSAK to send multiple caches there is no particular advantage to this process. For sending one or few caches that are geographically separate from each other, it is another, and somewhat quicker process, I believe. Ah, the good ole days, when it only took one click...gone for now.

edexter

I've used it a couple of times and so far it is working for me. The process has several additional steps compared to just clicking "send to gps" (for instance you need to have Garmin Express open) but it eventually does the same thing. Well, a similar thing: Instead of sending a .gpx file with one cache in it using the GC code for the cache, it creates a .gpx file using the name of your list. I've been using a Garmin Oregon 600 for a while so I'm used to most of the common quirks of the .gpx files and the need to connect to the computer to load or delete caches but if you are not there is a learning curve. For instance, the next time you send your list this way it will overwrite the first list using the same name. The original file has been replaced with the new one. If you don't want this to happen, you'll need to rename the list. I use an sd card in my GPSr and the Send to Garmin process doesn't give you the option to select that as a destination; if you want it to go there, you'll need to move it over using your computer. For folks comfortable with using pocket queries and GSAK to send multiple caches there is no particular advantage to this process. For sending one or few caches that are geographically separate from each other, it is another, and somewhat quicker process, I believe. Ah, the good ole days, when it only took one click...gone for now.

edexter

Well, it never took one click to send multiple caches to the GPS. If you wanted a couple thousand caches on your device, you either had to click a couple thousand times for each one, or use pocket queries. The current feature is only useful in eliminating the step of converting a list to a pocket query. But once the pocket query is created, there's really no advantage. PQs automatically respond to changes in lists, and they can be installed on an SD card if preferred over the device's onboard storage. However, the feature does have promise. The ability to load onto an SD card must come from Garmin - they have to add that to the Garmin Express software. But Groundspeak could (and probably will) implement the feature onto single cache pages, and it could be added to the search page for premium members to bulk load search results without creating a pocket query.

That's on Garmin's end to add that to the next update of Garmin Express.

I'm pretty sure Express allows you to send a map update to the SD card instead of internal memory. So it wouldn't be a big deal to add that.

I've only tried it a handful of times as my script for unzipping pocket query files and loading them on the GPS is much more efficient for me. I've yet to experience this problem (running Chrome on a Mac). The problem here could be anywhere from Groundspeak, your choice of browser, your OS, or your Garmin Express installation.

Could well be something local. Just seems like it's not waiting long enough to decide if Express is there and running.

Again, hard to tell where the problem is. There is a known issue with the UTF-8 encoding in the GPX file not creating some special characters. But I doubt that's the source of data corruption in your case.

Anyway, the point is that there are some improvements that Groundspeak can make, many that Garmin needs to make, and some that may be out of both hands.

I"d love to see a "Send to BaseCamp" option and let you select a list to put it in. Now THAT would be pretty cool. Actually, so would "Send to GSAK". Anyway, it's a start that has possibilities to get even better. Now if they would just do something useful with the "Send to my GPS" button on the cache page, it would cut down on a lot of questions here.

I tried the new add list to GPS and it worked. But I've updated the list, so do I just send to Garmin again? Will it overwrite the existing list or just add the new entries? Or will it mess things up?

Just give it a try and find out. Either it over writes the first file, or it creates a new file with a new random set of characters after the list name. If it's the former, you're good to go. If it's the latter, you'll have to delete the old file.

Open your device's GPX folder while it's still plugged in to verify.

I tried the new add list to GPS and it worked. But I've updated the list, so do I just send to Garmin again? Will it overwrite the existing list or just add the new entries? Or will it mess things up?

Just give it a try and find out. Either it over writes the first file, or it creates a new file with a new random set of characters after the list name. If it's the former, you're good to go. If it's the latter, you'll have to delete the old file.

Open your device's GPX folder while it's still plugged in to verify.

As long as you haven't changed the name of the list, re-sending the list should overwrite the old file. There is nothing random in the file names; the naming convention is

1. -[unique list identifier]. The latter is a unique BM code for the list analogous to unique GC codes for caches.

Now, I use ProjectGC for my pocket queries. If I create a new list on the GC website, I can go on the other and send all the caches in the area that I would need for my next fizzy grid or where I'm going on vacation, etc to the virtual GPS to build the PQs. By doing that it puts those caches in those lists created on the GC website which carries over and could be loaded this way too with this new feature I guess. I'd rather stick to the PQs though as I load my GPS from my iPad and not my laptop where I have garmin express installed. The only time I use the "list" feature is when I'm out caching and I don't have something in my GPS and I have to use the app to find it. I have a list called "to log" so I can add it to remember which ones I found when I get home. This new app and myself don't get along very well. Has anyone tried this "list" thing with any other devices like a nuvi yet?

Now, I use ProjectGC for my pocket queries. If I create a new list on the GC website, I can go on the other and send all the caches in the area that I would need for my next fizzy grid or where I'm going on vacation, etc to the virtual GPS to build the PQs. By doing that it puts those caches in those lists created on the GC website which carries over and could be loaded this way too with this new feature I guess. I'd rather stick to the PQs though as I load my GPS from my iPad and not my laptop where I have garmin express installed. The only time I use the "list" feature is when I'm out caching and I don't have something in my GPS and I have to use the app to find it. I have a list called "to log" so I can add it to remember which ones I found when I get home. This new app and myself don't get along very well. Has anyone tried this "list" thing with any other devices like a nuvi yet?

I only manage one list manually that is sent to a PQ, and that's only because PQ's don't have a filter option for "Has corrected coordinates." Therefore I have to manually keep track of my puzzle caches that I wish to load so I'm not inundated with puzzles I haven't solved.

Confused about this feature. I 'like' Garmin Express (had not heard of it before) and it nicely updated my old Oregon 450 firmware, but I'm confused about the use of this with geocaching.com. While I keep lists manually, 99% of the time what I really want is an easy way to load my PQs to the Garmin. All the usual phone apps have this. Is this something doable via Garmin Express (for me, on Mac) because I sure can't figure out any way to do so.

Confused about this feature. I 'like' Garmin Express (had not heard of it before) and it nicely updated my old Oregon 450 firmware, but I'm confused about the use of this with geocaching.com. While I keep lists manually, 99% of the time what I really want is an easy way to load my PQs to the Garmin. All the usual phone apps have this. Is this something doable via Garmin Express (for me, on Mac) because I sure can't figure out any way to do so.

PQs aren't that difficult to load. Unzip the files directly into the GPX folder on your Garmin or SD card. If you're looking for a completely automated process, you can use a geocache manager (GSAK for windows, iCaching for mac) to download your PQs and send them over in batch.

Or, as I do, write a script to unzip the files to your device. I still have to download them manually as I haven't found a command line utility to access PQs directly from the server.

Actually, so would "Send to GSAK".

Just clicking the "download GPX" button is enough to have your browser let you "open with GSAK" just like PQ's (zip) can be opened with GSAK.

Only if you have *.gpx files associated with GSAK in Windows folder setup. That would save a couple steps for those who only use GSAK, though.

How do i get garmin to work with linux mint and the firefox browser ?

Does your Garmin mount as a drive?

If yes, create and run a pocket query. Download the pocket query, and unzip the contents (.gpx files) into the /[device name]/Garmin/GPX directory. Depending on your unzip utility, you may be able to do this directly, or you can drag and drop the unzipped files from their current directory to the GPX directory on the GPS.

The device name can either be the volume name of your GPS (usually Garmin by default) or the name of your SD card in the GPS, if you're using one.

I also made a little bash script for unzipping and loading PQs in batch, since I'm often loading multiple query results at a time.

How do i get garmin to work with linux mint and the firefox browser ?

Given you asked in this thread, the short answer is that Garmin Express isn't available for Linux. (I looked out of curiosity, though I no longer use a Garmin.) I wouldn't expect Linux support to ever show up; we're just too marginal for them to bother.

So... see previous reply for an alternate solution.

PS, mentioning which Garmin you have would help a lot.

Have not been able to make Garmin Express download to a Garmin GPSmap 62s using a Mac running Safari. Everything installed with no problem, Express indicates that the download is complete, but nothing is on the GPS. Not sure where the problem is.

Edited by stridget

How did you determine there is nothing on your GPSmap? Did you check the /Garmin/GPX/ folder?

Actually not my Garmin. I am happy with my phone. I will have to get back over to my friend and look for that. Her Garmin wouldn't even let us page, so not sure how to find GPX folder.

How did you determine there is nothing on your GPSmap? Did you check the /Garmin/GPX/ folder?

Actually not my Garmin. I am happy with my phone. I will have to get back over to my friend and look for that. Her Garmin wouldn't even let us page, so not sure how to find GPX folder.

You have to do it while it's mounted to a computer as a storage device.

As some other folks have noticed, even with Garmin Express open, you can get an error message that Garmin Express is not detected when you click on the Send To Garmin from the list page. (The error messages is in error...) Going to the Garmin Express shows that the caches are ready to load...

edexter

Hi,

I have a Garmin Edge 810 and an Android phone and they are Bluetooth connected. I can't find Garmin Express in the Play store on my Android. I have installed Garmin Express on my laptop. When I try to 'Send to Garmin' on my list from Geocaching.com on the laptop nothing happens in Garmin Express. In my Android phone I don't have an option 'Send to Garmin' on my list (...) in the Geocaching app on my Android. I checked on my Garmin Edge 810 and can't find a GPX folder under Garmin. I have added one manually, but that doesn't help. So, no luck. What do you suggest.

Hi,

I have a Garmin Edge 810 and an Android phone and they are Bluetooth connected. I can't find Garmin Express in the Play store on my Android. I have installed Garmin Express on my laptop. When I try to 'Send to Garmin' on my list from Geocaching.com on the laptop nothing happens in Garmin Express. In my Android phone I don't have an option 'Send to Garmin' on my list (...) in the Geocaching app on my Android. I checked on my Garmin Edge 810 and can't find a GPX folder under Garmin. I have added one manually, but that doesn't help. So, no luck. What do you suggest.

As you noticed, "Send To Garmin" is not a function of an Android phone. And that won't work over "Bluetooth".

But you should be able to connect to Garmin Express using the USB cable, if only to load updates. I can't tell if you can directly load "GPX" cache files, nor if "Send To GPS" could function on it. The Edge seems to require a special file format for waypoints.

There's a lot of info here about the considerations of Geocaching with the Garmin Edge 810: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312299

Edited by kunarion