How to block the annoying sound on the app?

Y? O!

When you are close to a cache, you get a message and a sound. Not everyone like this sound, and on some occations it is just annoying.

So far the only option I have foud is to turn off sound on phone, or set media sound to 0.

I have tried to block alarms for this app, but this soud is not an alarm.

On most apps you can turn off sounds from the app, but I hve found no way off doing this here.

Are there other ways of blocking the sound, or is this just a bug we can hope they will fix sometimes?

Martin

Answer to a question: The standard app.

Edited by Y? O!

When you are close to a cache, you get a message and a sound. Not everyone like this sound, and on some occations it is just annoying.

So far the only option I have foud is to turn off sound on phone, or set media sound to 0.

On most apps you can turn off sounds from the app, but I hve found no way off doing this here.

Are there other ways of blocking the sound, or is this just a bug we can hope they will fix sometimes?

Martin

Which app, and which O/S?

There are a few out there! :laughing:

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Not only that, but if the searcher is trying to be stealthy, this "announcement" draws attention. Best advice is to routinely turn the volume way down or off.

Martin

Our 5.2 release will be available next week and includes additional features around the Drafts workflow we introduced in 5.0. The 5.3 release will be a few weeks after that and will include a way to turn off the proximity alert (among other things).

Martin

Our 5.2 release will be available next week and includes additional features around the Drafts workflow we introduced in 5.0. The 5.3 release will be a few weeks after that and will include a way to turn off the proximity alert (among other things).

Ben, thanks for the information and your continued participation in the forums.

The 5.3 release will be a few weeks after that and will include a way to turn off the proximity alert (among other things).

That was good news! The alert it by itself a nuisance, in particular when I make a waypoint. These are very useful for me when looking for caches in forests, and when looking for hiding places. But every time the alert pops up seconds later, and ofte more than once.

Yes that is good news. I'm trying to imagine how that chime is ever useful to anyone, but i can't see it. I hope there is also a way to disable videos, which I still occasionally start by accident. Incredible waste of battery. Trying to use the app on my old iphone 4s I only get about 20 minutes if I leave it on and accidentally run a video while trying to find the info I really need. This severely limits my caching day if I forget my magellan explorist 500, as I did on my current trip to Maryland and New Jersey. keep having to go back to the truck to charge my phone...

I have generally been supportive of HQ's new innovations over the years, but the new app just leaves me scratching my head.

Ah, well, back in the day I was totally dependent on printed paper cache pages when I went on road trips, so I guess I can't complain

(but sometimes I still do)

any oldtimers get that reference?

Martin

That's great new but considerably less important than the fact opening a cache page from a link in a publication email from Groundspeak still opens just the tiny, useless map rather than the full-screen map :(

That's great new but considerably less important than the fact opening a cache page from a link in a publication email from Groundspeak still opens just the tiny, useless map rather than the full-screen map :(

Looks like you've made an assumption. Had you asked rather than assuming, I would have answered that the bug you're referring to will also be fixed in the 5.2 release rolling out this week. Once fixed, tapping on the small map after clicking the link in an email will open the full map as expected.

any oldtimers get that reference?

How fast is your Maserati?

I don't know. I lost my license...

I understand that some of the features of the new app are aimed at teaching folks who are not going to go to the website and read cache pages. I really only started using the old app a short time ago, and that was just when I was too lazy to download caches into my magellan. So going back to the old way will just be a matter of breaking a relatively new bad habit.