Adopt-a-newbie!

Davester's excellent idea to start an Adopt-a-Newbie thread prompted me to do just that...

If you are new to the game and would like a shepherd to help you with your first cache or two or maybe you don't yet have access to a GPS receiver then post your approximate location here to meet your local veterans who may be able to help show you the ropes.

Of course veterans can also offer there services here - just leave your name and general location.

Have fun....

Edited by The Hokesters

Only fitting that I should offer to cover mid-Bucks. From MK to Watford and Tring to Thame-ish. Any newbies who'd like to try this caching lark out for size in this area are welcome to contact me at SimplyPaulGC@aol.com.

SP :mad:

P.S. Excellent idea. One of those where you wonder why it's not been done before, in fact. The best sort!

I have been contacted directly by a newbie who is trying to do my The Great Ouse cache without a gps. They are already very close, but not close enough.

Surfice to say I have given them clues of how to go about finding it but not saying exactly where it is. Is that cruel?

They are in Beds Clangers district BTW

I had completed my first 100 caches before I even knew the forum existed ... How are we going to help newbies if they dont magickally appear here.

I know its easy to find .. but I didnt find it. I might not be the brightest star in heaven but there are plenty out there like me ... and those are probably the ones that need or would like the help.

I dont have an answer except perhaps if you see a newbie completing or attempting one of your caches, then send them a Well Done email and invite them to the forum?

• Helpful 1
I had completed my first 100 caches before I even knew the forum existed ... How are we going to help newbies if they dont magickally appear here.

I know its easy to find .. but I didnt find it. I might not be the brightest star in heaven but there are plenty out there like me ... and those are probably the ones that need or would like the help.

I dont have an answer except perhaps if you see a newbie completing or attempting one of your caches, then send them a Well Done email and invite them to the forum?

I think the adopt-a-newbie scheme is a valuable idea for the whole global geocaching community, so I've put this idea to the powers that be.

• Love 1

'68 Guns are available to cover West Sussex and surrounding areas. Excellent idea Dave, looks like the powers that be are also interested. I was thinking something similar a couple of days ago whilst bidding on a pair of Etrex yellows on Ebay. They went for £94 the pair in the end!!

I always wonder about emailing new cachers but don't like to spam people. I have some info in my profile about the forums just in case anybody looks

I for one would have really found it helpful when we first set out especially as we're a bit slow here in surrey. In fact we have just set our first cache and e-mailed a newer newbie than us - mind you haven't told them about this and they were some friends - does this count - anyway how many do you have to do before you're an oldie?? I'm immediately going to e-mail them again and direct them to the forum!!!

I think the adopt-a-newbie scheme is a valuable idea for the whole global geocaching community, so I've put this idea to the powers that be.

Excellent development .. Great Idea ...

By the way I am in the Oxfordshire area too and can offer a guiding hand or even the use of a spare GPS or three for playtime and practice :-)

(I teach yellow Garmins to 16 year olds as part of a practical way to learn measurement skills and team work - currently we dont venture to live caches but if they decide to join us thats their descion)

Hi there.

I am about to embark into the world of Geocashing this weekend; there are a few local to me. One surprisingly, is less than a mile from my house. (Coventry)

Looking at the descriptions of the local ones, I am fairly confident that I should be in with a reasonable chance of finding them without the help of a GPSr. I haven’t decided yet which GPS to purchase, so until I do, I will have to use my intuition, and superb map reading skills. (Yeah I wish)

So if anyone else is in the area cashing this weekend and comes across someone running around like a headless chicken, rooting about in bushes, trees and muttering to himself, whilst still trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible. Don’t be scared, I am quite normal really. Say hello, feel sorry for me, and adopt me. Please. :laughing:

If anyone fancies showing us the ropes around the porthmadog area in north wales we'd welcome the company, my other half has been out looking for a cache just down the road from us but with no luck yet, and as soon as my legs better I'll be on the hunt too

Email sent :P

Owen, check out this link to an event which is going to be held in porthmadog soon. There is a thread for it on the forum too (Steam train and friends, I think it's called).

Great minds think alike :lol: , invitation included in the Email :laughing:

Dave :P

stuart mconie from radio 2 writes for one of the walking mags and he often mentions geocaching. maybe he should do a full article n the subject. he's already got his foot in the door with the publishers and is used to writting for them.

Great minds thinking alike even more. Stuart Maconie has written for Country Walking Magazine. I sent them an email on Wednesday suggesting they run another more detailed article than his footnotes one a few months ago and quoted the current influx due to Countryfile. I also suggested they take a look at GeoHikes which should be right up thier street.

They replied to say they often mention Geocaching and would look to carry on this trend in the future. I think a few of the editorial staff are GeoCachers.

Ill be happy to help anyone in the North Wales/Wirrel/Cheshire/Shropshire/ Area, Im busy ploughing through this area, and often available for mid week trips dependent upon shifts.

Im still fairly new to GC, but Ive hit the ground running, having a background in Hill walking has probably helped.

Edited by -Phoenix-

I'm a newbie myself but willing to join any other Newbies in Dorset as the areas hasn't been directly covered by an experienced cacher. May just save some lone caching!

Bournemouth based but willing to cache all over Dorset & West Hants (it's just the start!)

Editted for: stupidity!

Edited by Team CharlieParker