The plug-in was not unlocked successfully - AGAIN!

Bazajin

Intitially had the problem when trying to download caches to my brand new Oregon 400t of getting the error mesage 'The plug-in was not unlocked successfully' and thought I had resolved it by upgrading to Premium Membership (see my post yesterday). However, it's back.

So what have I done since then:

1. I've used Windows Explorer to transfer a Wherigo file to the Oregon

2. I've installed a mini-SD card of street maps

With the card installed and the Oregon connected to the USB, I get the Windows Autoplay options on the PC and the Oregon goes to the Menu screen, not the connected to PC logo screen. I can't do anything from this screen and when I try to transfer cache files I get the 'The plug-in was not unlocked successfully' message.

If I take the card out, I do get the logo screen but when I try to transfer I still get the error message.

The Garmin Communicator Plugin page on the website shows me the unit is connected properly.

Any ideas, anyone?

The best way to transfer cache info to both the Oregon and Colorado series is to use the Windows explorer interface and either place the result of a PQ (GPX file) into the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder or the single GPX file from the listing page. Works great - no need for the plug-in.

Yeah, and be aware that the Garmin Communicator only comes into play when you are sending data DIRECTLY from the webpage to your Garmin GPS unit.

If you are transferring them from your computer to the GPS unit, then the plug in is not involved. Any errors that would be getting in this situation are not related to the Garmin Communicator plugin.

Intitially had the problem when trying to download caches to my brand new Oregon 400t of getting the error mesage 'The plug-in was not unlocked successfully' and thought I had resolved it by upgrading to Premium Membership (see my post yesterday). However, it's back.

This morning for the first time, Garmin would not allow me to send a google map to my Nuvi 500. Got the same 'plugin not unlocked' message. My search led me to this thread and then to this:

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Probably old news to most folks but I'd never heard of it. Works like a champ! Easily takes any google map page (and probably any page with map data, not just google) and cranks out a gpx file. Thought it worth mentioning here. Thanks everyone!

StanO