Montana 680 geocache_visits.xml file

Good day all. We use the Montana 680 GPSr and after uploading the field notes I delete the contents in the geocache_visits.txt file in preparation for the next geocaching excursion. I see there is a file (geocache_logs.xml) next to it and it has all the log entries we have made since getting the unit and geocaching with it. It appears the entries are formatted with either html or xml. Anyway, I was wondering if it is OK to delete the information in that file (geocache_logs.xml)? It doesn't appear to be a large file at this time (80kb) even though it has many log entries in it, which is surprising to me. Comments welcome.

This file was formerly used by opencaching.com (the Garmin geocaching website) and is useless nowadays. You may delete the entire file. The unit will create a new one anyway and even populate it with your future finds. ;-)

Hans

Edited by HHL

Good day all. We use the Montana 680 GPSr and after uploading the field notes I delete the contents in the geocache_visits.txt file in preparation for the next geocaching excursion. I see there is a file (geocache_logs.xml) next to it and it has all the log entries we have made since getting the unit and geocaching with it. It appears the entries are formatted with either html or xml. Anyway, I was wondering if it is OK to delete the information in that file (geocache_logs.xml)? It doesn't appear to be a large file at this time (80kb) even though it has many log entries in it, which is surprising to me. Comments welcome.

This file was formerly used by opencaching.com (the Garmin geocaching website) and is useless nowadays. You may delete the entire file. The unit will create a new one anyway and even populate it with your future finds. ;-)

Hans

Thanks for asking and answering. I was wondering about that file on my Montana 600.

[...]

Thanks for asking and answering. I was wondering about that file on my Montana 600.

A short addendum: The xml file is not completely obsolete. The txt file uses zulu time as the log time wheras the xml uses the unit's local time. GSAK uses the xml file for time corrections with the field notes.

Hans

Edited by HHL