SPAM, How can I unsubscribe

Geodalf

I don't want to deal with the large amount of Spam I am getting from Geocaching with links to streaming sports, and other areas that have nothing to do with geocaching. I would like to unsubscribe but the instructions don't make sense to me;

"You can unsubscribe at any time by logging into your control panel and clicking on the "Manage Watched Forums" link in the "Forums" tab.

If you are not subscribed to any forums and wish to stop receiving notification, uncheck the setting

"Send me any updates sent by the board administrator" found in 'My Settings' under 'General Settings' in the "Settings" tab."

I can't find a control panel or any thing else mentioned in these instructions. Can someone help?

I don't want to deal with the large amount of Spam I am getting from Geocaching with links to streaming sports, and other areas that have nothing to do with geocaching. I would like to unsubscribe but the instructions don't make sense to me;

"You can unsubscribe at any time by logging into your control panel and clicking on the "Manage Watched Forums" link in the "Forums" tab.

If you are not subscribed to any forums and wish to stop receiving notification, uncheck the setting

"Send me any updates sent by the board administrator" found in 'My Settings' under 'General Settings' in the "Settings" tab."

I can't find a control panel or any thing else mentioned in these instructions. Can someone help?

When you're logged into the forums, look up at the right-hand corner.

Across from your username are two downward-facing arrows.

Click the first one and a dropdown menu appears.

The second item is "my settings".

After that, you'll need to do some more clicking and looking around.

Does that help? I don't subscribe to any of the forums, so I wouldn't see the same things as you would see in your settings.

B.

Building on the previous post:

- after clicking "my settings"

- click on the "forums" tab

- below that will be three (at least for me) stacked "tabs", click on the last one "Manage watched forums"

- select the checkboxes next to the forums you want to unsubscribe from and click the button below them

It's unfortunate that lately the forums have been getting spammed a lot more than normal.

To be clear, the spam is being posted by spammers -- it is not "sent to you" directly by Geocaching.com. The moderating team removes the spam from the forums, usually quite quickly before most people even notice it. It is only because you've signed up for a notification when someone creates a new topic that you receive the spam topics. Once you turn off the notifications for all new threads in a forum section, the spam will stop being forwarded to you. Unfortunately, so will the legitimate topic notices.

To be clear, the spam is being posted by spammers -- it is not "sent to you" directly by Geocaching.com. The moderating team removes the spam from the forums, usually quite quickly before most people even notice it. It is only because you've signed up for a notification when someone creates a new topic that you receive the spam topics. Once you turn off the notifications for all new threads in a forum section, the spam will stop being forwarded to you. Unfortunately, so will the legitimate topic notices.

Thank you for the clarification, I meant to say that in my previous post but forgot! As a moderator, I am often surprised how quickly other moderators beat me to the job of removing the spam. In most cases spam lives for only a few minutes before it gets stomped on.

As a moderator, I am often surprised how quickly other moderators beat me to the job of removing the spam. In most cases spam lives for only a few minutes before it gets stomped on.
As a mere forum participant, I am often surprised how quickly the spam is removed. There have been times where I refreshed the index, saw a new message with a spammy subject line, opened the message, clicked the Report link, and discovered that I could not report the message because it had already been stomped on. Edited by niraD