GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

The old GSAK thread was starting to get a bit long in the tooth and way too many pages to expect everyone to read. If you are really a masochist and would like some more background history you can find the old thread here

I would now like to make this the main support thread for all items GSAK related.

For those not already aware, GSAK version 3.00 Final is now ready for download here

Clyde,

Way back in v2-something, I reported a problem trying to export waypoints into a S&T file. I tried several things, and couldn't get it to work.

I recently downloaded v3, beta 2 and attempted the same procedure, as I'd read that there were some problems with ME (which I run) that had been fixed.

Well, same problem. The export appears to go smoothly, except when it's done, GSAK is unresponsive and the file that was "exported" doesn't show up. Using GPSBabel an its own, I am able to do the export without problem.

I only saw today that the final v3 is out. I will give that a go and try again and report back.

Jamie

I guess I spoke too soon. D/Led v3, final... tried the export. Worked fine.

Thanks for all your work with this program. Now, my lone pet peeve:

When using the wheel on my mouse, the screen does not scroll as expected (as in, like most other programs), but instead the highlighted cache moves down (or up) one at a time. If I have a list of several hundred caches, I can't wheel down to the bottom of the page (Well, I could, but it would take a long time) but instead have to mouse over to the vertical scroll bar.

I'm guessing this was intentional, but why the counter-intuitiveness?

Again, very useful program. Lots of buttons for me, so I'm figuring things out slowly.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
Thanks for all your work with this program. Now, my lone pet peeve:

When using the wheel on my mouse, the screen does not scroll as expected (as in, like most other programs), but instead the highlighted cache moves down (or up) one at a time. If I have a list of several hundred caches, I can't wheel down to the bottom of the page (Well, I could, but it would take a long time) but instead have to mouse over to the vertical scroll bar.

I'm guessing this was intentional, but why the counter-intuitiveness?

No, this was not intentional.

This is just the default behaviour of the particular grid control I am using (in Delphi) which I have no control over this setting.

However this behaviour can be changed via Control Panel ==>Mouse. There are various options (including scroll a page at a time) you might like to experiment with, although some/all may not be available in windows ME (they are in XP)

The old GSAK thread was starting to get a bit long in the tooth and way too many pages to expect everyone to read. If you are really a masochist and would like some more background history you can find the old thread here

I would now like to make this the main support thread for all items GSAK related.

For those not already aware, GSAK version 3.00 Final is now ready for download here

Just following on.....

If there is something in the old thread that you remember (or would like to find) and you want to see it again - don't forget you can download the whole topic as a single HTML file or Word doc file.

This makes finding a post much easier than using the web based search. You have the whole thread in one place and searching is therefore specific to that one thread only, and of course will take you to that post rather than having to scroll for it.

How do you do this? Just click on the "Topic Options" button at the bottom left of every topic :D

Im having trouble with this program. Quite simply, it won't generate a mapsource file because of an error. It says that " is an illegal integer value and aborts the operation. I've tried renaming the cache names (where I assume the illegal integer exists) and GSAK won't allow that because there isn't a feature to rename the cache. I then tried deleting all the caches with " in the name and have had no luck there either, I still get the error.

This is my first time trying to do this, which is a major reason for me using GSAK, to simplifiy things. I'm back to the old way of using Easy GPS to transfer the waypoints to the GPS first, then download the waypoints from the GPS to Mapsource. ;)

Im having trouble with this program. Quite simply, it won't generate a mapsource file because of an error. It says that " is an illegal integer value and aborts the operation. I've tried renaming the cache names (where I assume the illegal integer exists) and GSAK won't allow that because there isn't a feature to rename the cache. I then tried deleting all the caches with " in the name and have had no luck there either, I still get the error.

This is my first time trying to do this, which is a major reason for me using GSAK, to simplifiy things. I'm back to the old way of using Easy GPS to transfer the waypoints to the GPS first, then download the waypoints from the GPS to Mapsource. ;)

Surprising L-D as the Mapsource .wps export is one of the easiest. I just tried my database of 1600 caches, 15 of which have " marks in the cache name and it completed with no problem.

Have you played around with the export options at all? Like %code vs %smart waypoint tags, or changing Mapsource version number? Is the "cache description format" at it's default which is: %Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)?

I'm just grasping at straws here so please forgive me if you tried all these things.

Good Luck, Olar

P.S. To edit the cache name just right click on the cache and select "edit".

Sounds like there is some invalid data in the actual database, so you would probably get this error with any export, not just MapSource.

First thing to try is Database=>Repair/Defrag

If you still get this error could you please zip up and send me:

1. The GPX/LOC file(s) you used to create your database

2. The actual database. The database is just a folder name in the install folder of GSAK - just zip up the contents of that folder.

Is there any way to find out what the number of a cache on the list is other than counting? Even better, is there any way to just send a cache to the GPSr without having to know the number?

Edited by Staos
Is there any way to find out what the number of a cache on the list is other than counting? Even better, is there any way to just send a cache to the GPSr without having to know the number?

I think what we really need here is a "right mouse" menu option for this. I will look at adding this in the next release.

Best way to do this now:

1. Make sure all user flags are cleared (User Flags=>Clear all user flags)

2. Check the user flag box of the waypoint you want to send to the GPS

3. Set a filter on User Flag = Set

4. Send to GPS

In future you can speed this up a tad by saving this filter, then next time you can just select this filter from the drop down list on the main screen.

Sounds like there is some invalid data in the actual database, so you would probably get this error with any export, not just MapSource.

First thing to try is Database=>Repair/Defrag

If you still get this error could you please zip up and send me:

1. The GPX/LOC file(s) you used to create your database

2. The actual database. The database is just a folder name in the install folder of GSAK - just zip up the contents of that folder.

GSAK automatically did a Repair/Defrag when it didn't work. It also sent email to you about the problem. I was able to send the waypoints to Streets and Trips after finally finguring out that Streets and Trips needs to use it's built in Import function on the CSV file that GSAK created. (Something you might want to include in the Help).

I finally did figure out (blunder into) what my problem was: The Maximum Characters field needed a value (number) in it. I entered a numeral six and got waypoints in Mapsource. Since that is a required field, could you label it as such?

Congratulations! Several of the changes from v2 to v3 are very useful additions. I particularly appreciate the latitude/longitude columns, and the ability export to Mapsource. There's probably much more, that I haven't discovered yet.

Also, a bug I had mentioned which you could never reproduce, appears to have disappeared.

I have some questions/requests. One thing is that it would be very useful for me to select a couple of entries (indicidually by holding the ctrl key, or in a group by holding the shift key), and flagging or deleting them as a group. Is that hard to do?

Also, I haven't quite understood how to use the arc/line/polygon filter. Could you provide some more detailed instructions (or refer me to a discussion thereof in the past?)

TIA!

I have some questions/requests. One thing is that it would be very useful for me to select a couple of entries (indicidually by holding the ctrl key, or in a group by holding the shift key), and flagging or deleting them as a group. Is that hard to do?

You can effectively do this now. It revolves around the usage of the user flag and I will be adding more options to enhance this. For more information on this see help on "user flags menu" and a post on the old GSAK thread here

Also, I haven't quite understood how to use the arc/line/polygon filter. Could you provide some more detailed instructions (or refer me to a discussion thereof in the past?)

I must confess, I am not a full bottle on this either. The arc/line/polygon filters all use GPSBabel "under the hood" to do the actual calculations. The GPSBabel readme does have some info in this, but if you want some really good feedback I suggest you ask this question on the GPSBabel list

I just downloaded this program for the first time. It looks to be really neat. I have a few questions though. I no longer will need Easygps if I use this program correct? GSAK will convert the gpx files so I can load them into cache mate so I will no longer have to use cmconcert?

Thanks.

I just downloaded this program for the first time. It looks to be really neat. I have a few questions though. I no longer will need Easygps if I use this program correct? GSAK will convert the gpx files so I can load them into cache mate so I will no longer have to use cmconcert?

Thanks.

Hopefully, correct on both accounts.

You haven't said what brand of GPS you have, as only Garmin and Magellan are supported (well most models anyway)

Thanks.

Hopefully, correct on both accounts.

You haven't said what brand of GPS you have, as only Garmin and Magellan are supported (well most models anyway)

I use a garmin V and sometimes an Etrex if we bring friends along. Thanks for the neat program.

I must confess, I am not a full bottle on this either. The arc/line/polygon filters all use GPSBabel "under the hood" to do the actual calculations.

Clyde

I've been experimenting with this function and have noticed a small problem when using "user flagged waypoints" to define the arc that might give unexpected results.

I imported waypoints into my database to define a highway along which I wanted to filter to find caches within a specified distance. After setting up the filter I was able to get the results I wanted but if I clean up the database by deleting the waypoints used to define the arc the filter becomes unusable even though the waypoints are still shown in the filter.

You can get around this problem by filtering the waypoints so they don't show or by copying the coordinates of the waypoints to the filter.

Also I hadn't realized until now that saved filters can be used in all databases. Neat feature.

Thanks for a great program.

Edited by PDOP's
Open the File menu, select Export -> Cachemate PDB File.

Ah, obviously. I see it has CMconvert under the hood. Excellent! This saves me the need to export a filtered GPX file from GSAK and load it into into CMconvert separately.

GREAT PROGRAM!!

Couple suggestions:

-Is there a way for the program to connect to geocaching.com and update the gpx files with the newest versions and refresh them, so it has the latest up to date info?

-Also could you make a color for caches that were looked for by the person but not found (like green for owned etc)

Again thanks for your great software!!

Umm, I'm very new to geocaching and am not a computer pro, should I wait to worry about this program, or will it help me in my new hobie now?

I'd say don't worry about it, just start caching in the way that suits your idea of fun. At some point, you might think about something "I wish I could do this", and chances are that someone will then direct you to GSAK. That would be the point to get involved...

Clyde,

I've noticed that when uploading a 50 waypoint GPX file, it works fine. I get the waypoint name and identifiers and whatever else I specify in the "SEND WAYPOINTS TO GPS" window.

However, When I upoad say 300+ waypoints in one shot the exact same way, Not everything trasnfers over. Some waypoints have names and no identifiers, some have just identifiers, some have both, some have neither.

I have lots of free memory left over even after I've transfered 375 waypoints but the problem remains.

I've tried all the different combinations of %name %code %by, etc. in each the name and descriptions feilds but no dice. same behavior

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!!! Its an AWESOME program never the less!

Kickthefog

Umm, I'm very new to geocaching and am not a computer pro, should I wait to worry about this program, or will it help me in my new hobie now? thanks all.

Pete

that's a very good question. Shunra may be right.

If GSAK cost anything I'd say hold off...make sure you like this activity AND that you want to get more involved technically.

but GSAK is free, and frankly 'playing' with my database, mapping, etc., has increased my fondness for Geocaching a great deal. I can always find some new and entertaining way to relive cache hunts, explore other caches, plan excursions...whatever and all while sitting in my comfy chair ignoring another night of horrid HBO reruns.

- JamesJM

Clyde,

I've noticed that when uploading a 50 waypoint GPX file, it works fine. I get the waypoint name and identifiers and whatever else I specify in the "SEND WAYPOINTS TO GPS" window.

However, When I upoad say 300+ waypoints in one shot the exact same way, Not everything trasnfers over. Some waypoints have names and no identifiers, some have just identifiers, some have both, some have neither.

I have lots of free memory left over even after I've transfered 375 waypoints but the problem remains.

I've tried all the different combinations of %name %code %by, etc. in each the name and descriptions feilds but no dice. same behavior

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!!! Its an AWESOME program never the less!

Kickthefog

Whenever I have come across this before it is usually the result of some limitation of your GPS (eg the Magellan Map330). Even though you have enough memory, some GPS's only allow comments/descr in the first 200 waypoints (read your manual)

Please let us all know what make and model your GPS is so that someone else might be able to point out what the problem is.

Clyde,

Thanks for the response. Sorry I forgot to mention model.

It is a Magellan Merdian Color. I'll check the manual. I honestly didn't even check it since I know it will hold 500 waypoints so I stopped there knowing I wasn't exceeding that.

Thanks!

Couple suggestions:

-Is there a way for the program to connect to geocaching.com and update the gpx files with the newest data

This is what is known as "data mining" and geocaching.com take a very dim view of this practice, as it can negate the need for premium membership. If you are a gc.com premium member you can download a single cache GPX file on demand or get up to 500 at a time via pocket queries. Perhaps gc.com will allow this type of update to happen automatically for premium members down the track but at the moment they do not.

-Also could you make a color for caches that were looked for by the person but not found (like green for owned etc)

You can already see this via the "Last Four logs" icon

Clyde and everybody:

Ok I just read the entire waypoint section and looked through the rest of the manual. They mention the 500 total waypoint limit about 10 times but no mention of any other limitation. Of course i know that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one.

Anybody got any more info on this?

Thanks!

kickthefog

Clyde and everybody:

Ok I just read the entire waypoint section and looked through the rest of the manual. They mention the 500 total waypoint limit about 10 times but no mention of any other limitation. Of course i know that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one.

Thanks!

kickthefog

Page 15 of the Australian forum GSAKthread would indicate that indeed there is a limit of 200

Clyde and everybody:

Thanks!

kickthefog

Check your manual under a section called, "Entering a message"

I did a quick search on the net and found a manual for your unit. I didn't see anything at first, but then found the statement that says you can enter a message on up to 200 of your waypoints to further identify them. I didn't see it anywhere else in the specs.

Gary

I'm usually loading 300 wpts in one shot... The upload goes perfectly everytime(all 300 show on the map screen)... What I see happening is that on the first 200 loaded, the gps accepts them. After that 200 point, the "message area" of the gps is full...

You can demonstrate this to yourself by first loading 300 wpts. with descriptions... Then manually add another wpt... I.E. "WPT 001" and try to add a message... A message appears on the screen something like "message area full"...

Doesn't bother me too much, it's something I've gotten used to.. Hope this helps!

Bill

Team Flushingrouse

Almost forgot---> Magellan Meridian Platinum and Gold...

Edited by Team Flushingrouse

I don't want to sound like I'm exaggerating or anything, but this is the greatest program in the history of mankind! B)

Several months ago I had wanted to be able to easily import cache coordinates into Microsoft Streets & Maps, and I had a really long, complex method that I could use... but it involved using a combination of MapSource, Excel, Notepad, and a lot of time.

GSAK makes this a snap, and is an awesome tool all around. Kudos for your efforts!

on the first 200 loaded, the gps accepts them. After that 200 point, the "message area" of the gps is full...

This is documented and expected behaviour on all the Modern Mapping Magellans.

I won't argue that it stinks, but that's the way it is. I'm also not convinced this isn't futile, but you should tell Magellan that it stinks to have a unit that boasts "infinite waypoints" yet only the first 200 are robust... https://www.magellangps.com/en/support/request.asp

I personally run into this limit a lot - in fact, I hit it just today and 'rediscovered' how poorly DirectRoute handles directions when the waypoint comments are unavailable....

Let's label this one "Peculiar Behavior". Sounds better than Bug. Besides, it might just be me!

Everything appears to work fine. I then go to Database, select an empty one that already has a name, OR select New and create one.

I can't right click on an empty record, so I go to Waypoint(Top Menu Bar), then Add.

Add a waypoint.

I can continue to add waypoints that way.

Then I try to select a particular record to edit or view. I have my config to edit on double click. At this point I can't double click, OR right click on any of the records. The cursor is blinking in the Name Search box. I am able to click in the Code Search box and it moves there, but I am still unable to edit the record by double clicking or right clicking the record.(I don't get the options when right clicking).

If I go to Database and select a different one, then come right back to this one, I can then edit as normal, double clicking or right clicking works fine.

Gary

Gentleman,

well I've found exactly what you all said in the manual. 200 waypoints with messages indeed. Don't know how I missed it but I did.

I verified what Team Flushingrouse said and indeed I get the same MESSGAE SECTION FULL message.

What a bummer. I clicked the support link that Roberlipe provided and I moaned abit. MAYBE that will help.

I thought the whole reason for a memory slot was to be able to increase all available memory not just the maps portion! arrrgh! I'm bummed but at least I can work with an understanding of what's going on now.

Clyde:

Sorry to clog up the forum with an issue that had nothing to do with your program at all. BUT I AM GRATEFUL FOR THE HELP AND ANSWERS PROVIDED BY EVERYONE.

Sincere thanks to all!

Kickthefog

Clyde:

Sorry to clog up the forum with an issue that had nothing to do with your program at all. BUT I AM GRATEFUL FOR THE HELP AND ANSWERS PROVIDED BY EVERYONE.

Sincere thanks to all!

Kickthefog

I am glad we got to the bottom of it. :)

I would consider your post more than useful and will be adding this to the GSAK FAQ

I thought the whole reason for a memory slot was to be able to increase all available memory not just the maps portion! arrrgh! I'm

I can't reach into Magellan's mind on this, but I think the thought process goes something like this:

The original member of the modern mapping magellan family (the 330) had this as a documented limit. (Heaven knows why, but it's probably something to do with a staticly allocated pool somewhere) It's possible that there are programs that allocate only space for 200 comments coming from the unit, but request all the waypoints, and would then proceed to do a dumb thing when faced with more than 200. So even though the units could now store all 500 with comments, they don't in the name of compatibility.

There are a number of holes I can shoot in that line of logic (i.e. use the versioning available on the interfaces and only send > 200 back on "waypoint,1", or realize that any application that freaks out at the whopping 6K required to store 200 comments and requests all but has space for only the first 200 is stupid) but I do have to have some respect for their respect for compatibility, unlike that of certain other GPS makers.

But if I were working on this at Magellan and had to open this code up anyway, I'd seriously consider modernizing the waypoint length, comment size, and waypoint count to provide or beat the 76/Vista/V/60 if I was changing it...I'd gladly give up a fraction of map memory to raise these limits.

on the first 200 loaded, the gps accepts them.  After that 200 point, the "message area" of the gps is full... 

This is documented and expected behaviour on all the Modern Mapping Magellans.

I won't argue that it stinks, but that's the way it is. I'm also not convinced this isn't futile, but you should tell Magellan that it stinks to have a unit that boasts "infinite waypoints" yet only the first 200 are robust... https://www.magellangps.com/en/support/request.asp

I personally run into this limit a lot - in fact, I hit it just today and 'rediscovered' how poorly DirectRoute handles directions when the waypoint comments are unavailable....

Yes, I've constantly run into this problem since I started using DirectRoute. Now, I have to filter my PQs down to something like 175 so there will be 25 available for DirectRoute. Pain in the butt if you ask me.

--Marky

on the first 200 loaded, the gps accepts them.  After that 200 point, the "message area" of the gps is full... 

Yes, I've constantly run into this problem since I started using DirectRoute. Now, I have to filter my PQs down to something like 175 so there will be 25 available for DirectRoute. Pain in the butt if you ask me.

--Marky

I once wrote a patch for GPSBabel to limit the number of comments it would send in any one session. (Obviously, if you send three batches of 100, for example, GPSBabel can't do much to hep you - at least not without doing something really sick like sucking in all the waypoints, counting them, merging them, then sending them back...) I never committed it, but could dust it off if there's interest.

interesting - i wondered why some of mine (sportrak map) had details and others didnt.

On a similar note, would it be possible to create a filter by source gpx file? That way I can have all my caches in one database, but filter the views to one gpx for a particular area when I'm in that area (rather than trying to remember a cache name and then sorting by distance from that cache)

I heard of this software only yesterday night (that probably classifies me as a caveman :) )......and I have already fallen in love with it. However, as a newbie I need some clarifications:

I used GSAK to merge two .gpx files and then export them as .pdb file for Cachemate and also as html file for "Plucker". My questions are:

1. Is there a more efficient way (less number of steps) to transfer these caches into Garmin iQue-3600 as waypoints instead of using Cachemate to map them. I see that it can export to Mapquest. Is there a way to use that feature to transfer the caches as waypoints to iQue ?

2. Also, can it generate files compatible to Plucker viewer that resides on the handheld ? This way, I don't have to use the Plucker Desktop for conversion.

Somebody said that this is the best software in the world!!! I second that. Cheers to the developer's generosity in sharing this software !!!!!!!!!!

On a similar note, would it be possible to create a filter by source gpx file? That way I can have all my caches in one database, but filter the views to one gpx for a particular area when I'm in that area (rather than trying to remember a cache name and then sorting by distance from that cache)

I don't think this is necessary.

Just make up filters that separate you caches as required, then save them.

All you then need to do is select the required filter.

Also, don't forget that when you save a filter that uses a centre point (eg caches 50 miles from home), that centre point is automatically restored when you select that filter.

I used GSAK to merge two .gpx files and then export them as .pdb file for Cachemate and also as html file for "Plucker". My questions are:

1. Is there a more efficient way (less number of steps) to transfer these caches into Garmin iQue-3600 as waypoints instead of using Cachemate to map them. I see that it can export to Mapquest. Is there a way to use that feature to transfer the caches as waypoints to iQue ?

2. Also, can it generate files compatible to Plucker viewer that resides on the handheld ? This way, I don't have to use the Plucker Desktop for conversion.

1. GSAK uses GPSBabel "under the hood" to send waypoints to your GPSr. Unfortunately the Garmin iQue-3600 is not yet supported. When GPSBabel supports it, then so will GSAK

2. No, Currently there is no command line utility (that I am aware of) to do this "under the hood". There are Python and Jarva versions of the plucker distiller available, but this would then make the installation of GSAK very messy (not to mention I still need to be able to then "interface" with them)

the Garmin iQue-3600  is not yet supported. When GPSBabel supports it, then so will GSAK

There have been a couple of queries on Ique support, but so far, nobody with the appropriate hardware and motivation has stepped up to do the work. A couple of people mentioned some kind of interim address book format, and I've even helped analyzed the source lines, but nobody's been willing to take it over the finish line.

I contacted Garmin for information and eval units/simulators and they were doubleplus unhelpful.

there is no command line utility (that I am aware of) to do this "under the hood

Actually, you can build up the command shell to call python with an argument to invoke the spider engine. That's all that plucker-build used to do. But since there are about a zillion knobs to turn, I'd recommend not adding those knobs to GSAK and just letting people configure a desktop channel and clicking that button to let it do the (slow) plucking.

Scenario: I'm going on a business trip (without laptop), and I want to print the descriptions of 20 caches. I don't want to do to gc.com and print each page out.

Question: How is this best acheived with GSAK? Can it be acheived with GSAK?

Thanks, akerin

Edited by AJK
Scenario: I'm going on a business trip (without laptop), and I want to print the descriptions of 20 caches. I don't want to do to gc.com and print each page out.

Question: How is this best acheived with GSAK? Can it be acheived with GSAK.

Thanks, akerin

You can view an offline version of the cache info that's passed in the GPX file for that cache. I guess the part that's odd is you're going without a laptop so what are you going to view them on or print off the descriptions from?