Release Notes - July 16, 2014

Read the previous release notes

Release Notes:

Late yesterday we rolled out the latest site release. Here are the highlights of the changes:

• Need a new password? No problem. Check out the new Change Your Password page. Don't worry. It's easy on the eyes.
  • Additional tracking on emails. Faster error triage. 'Nuff said.
  • Other email fixes. You'll once again see a confirmation screen after sending another player a message. We've also re-enabled subject lines for Lackeys and Reviewers.
  • 7 Souvenirs of August. We've added geocache type filters on the Advanced Search page so that geocachers can find exactly the geocache they need to earn a specific souvenir.
  • And of course, no release would be complete without a solid round of infrastructure support, text changes and bug extermination.

Thanks for the update - this seems to fix the "error 500" issue when trying to view premium-member only cache pages in certain languages (notably, Spanish and Finnish, but not English or Catalan).

One small consistency issue remains: while not logged in, one may see that a PMO cache has been archived - information that gets lost if logged in as Basic Member. (RL Scenario: cache gets published w/o PMO set, owner sets PMO after repair, but I could still find it as it's on my device...) Having this info would help to preserve nature!

A few concerns about the new email format:

One, notification emails no longer state what type of log a user posted. The email states that the cache "has a new log" but nowhere in the email can I find indication of the type of log - was it a find, a note, a DNF?

Second, I notice that all emails are HTML only. Is the plaintext option permanently gone?

A sample:

Reflecting on 321 (GC3M2BD) from your instant notification, 10 Miles from home- Trad, has a new log!

Logged by: E Fudd

Date: 7/23/2014

Type: Traditional Cache

Log:

After "AIN'TGODGOOD" 's log I checked on this one and it is missing. I am in the process of making another cache for this location. I will replace it soon.

Happy geocaching,

Geocaching HQ

A few concerns about the new email format:

One, notification emails no longer state what type of log a user posted. The email states that the cache "has a new log" but nowhere in the email can I find indication of the type of log - was it a find, a note, a DNF?

Second, I notice that all emails are HTML only. Is the plaintext option permanently gone?

I just noticed the same when I received three new logs for my caches. I'm extremely unhappy about this change.

This is a big step backwards and very annoying.

Interesting. I just got one of the "new" log types. Mine says this GC number "has a new Found it log from"

So mine is showing log type.

I am not sure that I like the new HTML emails for those of us that get updates on our phones as this now uses additional data.

Phil

A few concerns about the new email format...

This must have only just happened, because the format of some log emails I received a couple of hours ago hadn't changed.

If indeed the format of the email subject lines has been permanently changed, it's yet another example of an extremely-poorly-communicated change. It's reasonable to assume that members would be filtering emails based on the subject lines, especially considering tags like [LOG] are there for that exact purpose. Making a change to this with no warning means an instant breakage in the filtering of all of those members.

I have no problem if Groundspeak has decided to revamp the emails. What I have a problem with is rolling out a change, knowing full-well that it will break things for members, but not provide any notice whatsoever. In fact, there hasn't even been any communication at the time of rollout or even afterwards (I haven't seen any emails or posts in these forums), so the only way members will know things have changed is when they realize that things are broken. This demonstrates a complete lack of respect for the membership.

A far better method, and one which honestly should be common sense, is to notify the membership ahead of time (1 week, 2 weeks, whatever) that the subject lines will be changing, provide examples of how the new ones will look, and allow the membership to update their filtering. The same action should have been taken when the PQ attachments were dropped, since that's another case where it could reasonably be assumed that some members may have automated functions using that feature. You have a weekly newsletter. Why not put some useful information in that rather than the marketing drivel that often fills it? At least then you could say you've notified at least some of the membership of a change. As it is now, you're notifying exactly zero members.

Interesting. I just got one of the "new" log types. Mine says this GC number "has a new Found it log from"

So mine is showing log type.

I am not sure that I like the new HTML emails for those of us that get updates on our phones as this now uses additional data.

Phil

I tested this on one my my caches, and it seems that emails to the cache owner do include the log type. The emails missing this information are from the instant notifications premium member feature.

I just noticed the same when I received three new logs for my caches. I'm extremely unhappy about this change.

This is a big step backwards and very annoying.

Agreed 100%!

I normally skim through the email subject lines on my phone and I could see at a glance if there were any DNFs

This new format is a REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: