A "how to" Question

Hello all,

Before someone suggests this, yes I have use the search feature and read a number of topics to find the answer to my question but I'm not finding it. I'm having to use my phone to use this site which is not a very easy way to search and type out things.

I'm considering placing a cache in an area that has two interesting spots but they are very close to one another, within eye sight. So I obviously cannot make it a multistage. Is there a way to set up a cache so that you bring cachers to one spot to see something and then move them to another nearby spot where the cache is actually hidden.

The location is in the woods in a park.

Thanks for your help.

--PAK

Hello all,

Before someone suggests this, yes I have use the search feature and read a number of topics to find the answer to my question but I'm not finding it. I'm having to use my phone to use this site which is not a very easy way to search and type out things.

I'm considering placing a cache in an area that has two interesting spots but they are very close to one another, within eye sight. So I obviously cannot make it a multistage. Is there a way to set up a cache so that you bring cachers to one spot to see something and then move them to another nearby spot where the cache is actually hidden.

Thanks for your help.

--PAK

There is no reason that you can't make it a multistage cache. There is no proximity restriction on stages of the same cache. The only question is how do you direct the seekers from one spot to the other.

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

--PAK

Actually , this sounds like a perfect use of a multi.

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

--PAK

There is no reason that you can't make it a multistage cache. There is no proximity restriction on stages of the same cache. The only question is how do you direct the seekers from one spot to the other.

Yep. :)

Or you could create two separate multi-caches, one using each interesting spot as a virtual Question to Answer waypoint. Seekers would collect information from existing objects (e.g., plaques, signs, statues), then use that information to determine the location of the actual cache. The actual caches would need to be 528ft/161m from each other and from other caches, but the virtual waypoints don't count against the saturation guideline.

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

--PAK

Try looking in the Help Center.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

Assuming that there are no other caches in the area:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.13. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

4. A multi-cache can have stages 100 feet apart, or 100 miles apart. The distance between stages of a single geocache is limited only by the owner's ability to maintain those stages.

But you already knew that, as you've published two multicaches.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I know about the cache sat rule. But I am really confused. When I put down my first caches (long ago) I was under the understanding that any physical stage must be 528 feet apart. So that is how I set up my multi caches. But then I found a cache where the second stage was only 80 feet from the first stage. Just the other day somewhere on here I read that any physical object related to a cache must be 528 feet apart. And no I don't remember where that was I can look and try to find it.

At any rate, thank you for the help. If the sat rule doesn't apply to stages then a multi is the way to go. Although I know many people hate multis. It would be a very short one though.

Please pardon any weird typos. The dictation feature does odd things and the text for the Reply box is minuscule on the phone.

I know about the cache sat rule. But I am really confused. When I put down my first caches (long ago) I was under the understanding that any physical stage must be 528 feet apart. So that is how I set up my multi caches. But then I found a cache where the second stage was only 80 feet from the first stage. Just the other day somewhere on here I read that any physical object related to a cache must be 528 feet apart. And no I don't remember where that was I can look and try to find it.

At any rate, thank you for the help. If the sat rule doesn't apply to stages then a multi is the way to go. Although I know many people hate multis. It would be a very short one though.

Please pardon any weird typos. The dictation feature does odd things and the text for the Reply box is minuscule on the phone.

You need to go over the Saturation Guideline again.

1.13. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=232

A fundamental guideline of geocaching is that physical elements/stages of a geocache should be at least 0.1 miles (528ft or 161m) from the physical elements/stages of any other geocache.

Below is a longer explanation of that guideline.

1. Some geocaches have false coordinates (or reference coordinates) posted at the top of the geocache page. A new geocache can be placed near these coordinates, as nothing physical has been placed there by the cache owner.

A new geocache cannot be placed near the actual location of the physical elements/stages. You will have to find these geocaches to know where their physical elements/stages are.

2. Some geocaches have virtual stages, which are typically places where a geocacher gathers information, but no physical element/stage has been placed. Usually a new physical geocache can be placed near these virtual stages.

3. Some geocaches have physical stages, which are places where the cache owner has placed a container or other item. A new geocache cannot be placed within 0.1 miles (528ft or 161m).

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Oops...I just saw this part:

"But you already knew that, as you've published two multis."

Some people make mistakes. Yes I own two multis published in 2007 I believe. It was my undertanding at that time, apparently incorrectly, that stages had to be 528 ft apart. So my multi stages ARE 528 ft apart. So in fact, I did not "already know" stages could be less. I am an imperfect cacher.

I did look through the guidelines, mostly trying to find out what an offset cache entailed. I did not see tbe "can have stages 100 feet apart." Im so sorry I missed that and you had to point it out to me since "I already knew that." I did not read the guidelines on multis because I THOUGHT I knew they had to be 528 ft. apart. If I "already knew" stages could be less, I would have known I could create a multi to accomplish what I'd like to do and never asked the question to begin with.

While I HAVE read the guidelines, numbers of times over the years, I do not have each section memorized. And the guidelines change. I could read through the whole thing right now and not remember EVERYTHING I read. I'm sure all the moderators have much more familiarity with all the sections as they should. It would be easier for you to hop to the proper section than the average cacher. Being here to answer the endless stupid questions over and over is why mods exist. I KNOW the job. I was a moderator on a forum for many years. It's work, takes a lot of time and dedication, can be frustrating, and isn't nearly as appreciated as it should be.

So I appreciate having the multi guidelines pointed out to me for my edification since I obviously didn't understand it. I do not appreciate the unnecessary comment "but you already knew that." That was kind of offensive. These forums exist to help people because nobody knows or understands EVERYTHING perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions to me without judgement. ALL suggestions were/are helpful!

EDIT: my apologies to Pup Patrol. I made an assumption you are a moderator because you frequently do quote guidelines. I don't know if you are or not. But I still think the added comment was not necessary to answer my question.

Edited by PlantAKiss

Oops...I just saw this part:

"But you already knew that, as you've published two multis."

Some people make mistakes. Yes I own two multis published in 2007 I believe. It was my undertanding at that time, apparently incorrectly, that stages had to be 528 ft apart. So my multi stages ARE 528 ft apart. So in fact, I did not "already know" stages could be less. I am an imperfect cacher.

I did look through the guidelines, mostly trying to find out what an offset cache entailed. I did not see tbe "can have stages 100 feet apart." Im so sorry I missed that and you had to point it out to me since "I already knew that." I did not read the guidelines on multis because I THOUGHT I knew they had to be 528 ft. apart. If I "already knew" stages could be less, I would have known I could create a multi to accomplish what I'd like to do and never asked the question to begin with.

While I HAVE read the guidelines, numbers of times over the years, I do not have each section memorized. And the guidelines change. I could read through the whole thing right now and not remember EVERYTHING I read. I'm sure all the moderators have much more familiarity with all the sections as they should. It would be easier for you to hop to the proper section than the average cacher. Being here to answer the endless stupid questions over and over is why mods exist. I KNOW the job. I was a moderator on a forum for many years. It's work, takes a lot of time and dedication, can be frustrating, and isn't nearly as appreciated as it should be.

So I appreciate having the multi guidelines pointed out to me for my edification since I obviously didn't understand it. I do not appreciate the unnecessary comment "but you already knew that." That was kind of offensive. These forums exist to help people because nobody knows or understands EVERYTHING perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions to me without judgement. ALL suggestions were/are helpful!

EDIT: my apologies to Pup Patrol. I made an assumption you are a moderator because you frequently do quote guidelines. I don't know if you are or not. But I still think the added comment was not necessary to answer my question.

It is best to review the pertininent guidelines any time you place a new cache. They make small changes all the time.

Reviewing the Guidelines is a good idea. Reading the Help Center articles is a good idea. Things change/evolve over the years.

It's not possible to memorize this much information. Some people might think that it's magic that I can find the relevant Guidelines or Help Center articles. It's not. I've got the relevant links bookmarked in my browser.

Not even the Reviewers are expected to memorize anything.

But some Saturation Guidelines haven't changed at all in 8 years.

Puzzled by puzzle/multi cache

PlantAKiss

Posted 14 November 2007

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=177733

B.

4. A multi-cache can have stages 100 feet apart, or 100 miles apart. The distance between stages of a single geocache is limited only by the owner's ability to maintain those stages.

Well that would be a annoying multi! I might have to work on one!

Well, just as long as you are capable of maintaining it I suppose. Sounds both annoying to Finders as well as a Cache Owner.

Well that would be a annoying multi! I might have to work on one!

Well, just as long as you are capable of maintaining it I suppose. Sounds both annoying to Finders as well as a Cache Owner.

Slightly off-topic: I actually had one that was a multi with two virtual stages 140 miles apart, but I encouraged individuals to seek out assistance for a local cacher to gather the remote information. The two virtual locations were the grave sites where my grandfather has headstones.