Political Action Group

I’m talking mainly to the US geocachers. There are many lobbying groups around. Some big, like the NRA or Sierra Club. Some smaller, like local motorcycle clubs, hiking clubs, or snowmobile clubs. Those folks have organized and their voices have been heard. With all the discussions about “permissions” it seems to me that somebody in this group of people would know how to create a “political action lobby group”. As this recreational activity grows the need for our voice to be heard grows. We are a legitimate recreation group. There is nothing illegal or wrong with our form of recreation. The policy makers need to be educated about geocaching and made to understand that we do form a voting block.

I can envision a national organization (non-profit), with several chapters through out the country. Some local organizations are already formed.

I really believe that until we get organized with all the proper organization registrations needed for a non-profit political action group we will continue to have problems and eventually be eliminated.

Sorry, but I don’t have the expertise or energy to attempt to create such an organization, but I’m sure somebody here does.

Thank you CO_Admin

Here is a draft of the short version of our mission.

1) To allow geocaching to become self regulating and self sustaining, by establishing ourselves as a not for profit member owned organization who works with landowenrs and the geocaching community to achieve it’s goals.

2) To enable national and local organizations to take on a more direct role in geocaching within their areas.

3) To provide a permanent archive for geocaching databases to preserve logs and caches for access and posterity.

There was a longer version sent out to every local and national organization that we knew of at the timewe started. A few got missed. 9Key your local organization was one that I thought we sent information too, but it's always possible that it didn't happen. Sending information to the contact for a website and having them post it for their members is two different things though.

If there is an effort specific to organizing a national organization for the USA I'd be happy to contact them.

There was a longer version sent out to every local and national organization that we knew of at the timewe started.  A few got missed.

First time I'm hearing anything about it. I'm not suprised though, that's pretty typical around here. It's hard to tell where to go for local information nowadays. Nothing in our yahoogroups except for news of yet another local website that will be up after the new year. I tried checking the current local website, but that appears to be down. Keenpeople also appears to be down. No news on yet another local site. Maybe you can post the long version here and I can forward it to the new website when it is up.

Edited by cachew nut
Thank you CO_Admin

Here is a draft of the short version of our mission.

1) To allow geocaching to become self regulating and self sustaining, by establishing ourselves as a not for profit member owned organization who works with landowenrs and the geocaching community to achieve it’s goals.

2) To enable national and local organizations to take on a more direct role in geocaching within their areas.

3) To provide a permanent archive for geocaching databases to preserve logs and caches for access and posterity.

There was a longer version sent out to every local and national organization that we knew of at the timewe started. A few got missed. 9Key your local organization was one that I thought we sent information too, but it's always possible that it didn't happen. Sending information to the contact for a website and having them post it for their members is two different things though.

If there is an effort specific to organizing a national organization for the USA I'd be happy to contact them.

This is pretty similar to what we have here in Maryland. It has provided us with no problems when placing caches as long as the rules are followed. In fact, our mission to start was this info indeed. Keep the land-owners and regulators happy and we'll be happy, too.

http://www.mdgps.net/modules.php?name=Parks

We're still a group of buddies who do this on our own time and wallet, but I'm pretty sure trippy is already a non-profit up there at MiGO.

There are a BUNCH of Org's that are already doing this. They all promote MULTIPLE USE. Most are vehicle travel but a lot of them also include Equestrian and mountin bikers (they are targed by groups like ELF, sierra club and other anti access groups.

The biggest would be United www.ufwda.org They have a full time lawyer that interpets new bills and how they would effect the public. Carla Boucher, The lawyer has compiled a book called Land owners users manual or something like that. It appears they have been sold out and no longer available. It basicly tells how to handle many access problems and much of that would apply here.

Here is a very good person to contact. http://www.delalbright.com/ruleworld.htm

Del's main objective is keep the Rubicon open but what he's doing is going to apply to Geocaching.

http://www.fmdac.com/ would be a good one to read. It's linked oof of Del's site but they are in the same boat with access being blocked.

Another excelent group to hook up with would be

Blueribbion Coalition http://www.sharetrails.org/ Again a excelent group promoting multiple use and fighting for access rights to public land.

And http://www.treadlightly.org/

Tread Lightly is another group promoting responsible multiple use.

Any of the above groups can offer help on how to protect access rights and would also be excepting of the Caching groups.

SEMA (Yep the auto thing) is a big access/ multiple use suporter http://www.sema.org