Garmin Oregon 650

SirPaul2008

Someone can tell me how to send the Geocache attibutes to the Garmin Oregon 650 ?

This is an expensive gps and i dont understand why we cant see the attibutes. Is it a Groundspeak or Garmin Big Bug ????

If you wish to send just one at a time directly from a cache page using "Send to My GPS", you may need to use the Firefox web browser (or other non-IE browser). It's tricky to get newer versions of Internet Explorer to work that way. There are a couple of things to install and configure, but it's kind of handy for a cache or two once in a while.

If you want to send a few hundred caches at once, make a "Pocket Query". This produces a couple of large GPX files containing up to 1000 caches at a time. It's easy and explained on the PQ page, but you may need more info specific to your particular GPSr if you get stuck. I placed PQs from several areas I often visit, on my Oregon 650, since there's "no limit" to the number of Geocaches that device can manage. That's pretty useful for reference. Before a trip to an area, I delete the old file and place a fresh PQ.

You may place any GPX file into [OR Drive]:/Garmin/GPX

Edited by kunarion

I have a Garmin Oregon 650 and it works perfectly. I have over 3,000 Geocaches loaded right now and I can sort and filter by any attributes so you should have no problems.

I also have the latest IE browser, which works perfectly fine when sending single Geocaches to the GPS.

1) When you plug the GPS up to your USB on your PC, it should show up under My Computer/This PC as "Garmin Oregon 650". If this happens then you should have no issues loading Geocaches to your GPS.

2) As the above post said you can enter Geocaches two ways into your GPS: a] Using the "Send to GPS" option or b] Using pocket queries.

SEND TO GPS. To send individual caches to your GPS you need to install The Garmin Communicator Plugin - Once that is done you should be able to plug the GPS to any USB port, and use the "send to GPS" option. The option can be found from the cache search or the actual cache page.

POCKET QUERY. As mentioned above, after you create a pocket query it will be available for you to download. Once you download this file (it will be a ZIP file) you will need to unzip the GPX files and place them inside your GPS inside the following directory: "garmin/GPX".

Make sense?

Edited by MersonMonkeys

I have a Garmin Oregon 650 and it works perfectly. I have over 3,000 Geocaches loaded right now and I can sort and filter by any attributes so you should have no problems.

I also have the latest IE browser, which works perfectly fine when sending single Geocaches to the GPS.

1) When you plug the GPS up to your USB on your PC, it should show up under My Computer/This PC as "Garmin Oregon 650". If this happens then you should have no issues loading Geocaches to your GPS.

2) As the above post said you can enter Geocaches two ways into your GPS: a] Using the "Send to GPS" option or b] Using pocket queries.

SEND TO GPS. To send individual caches to your GPS you need to install The Garmin Communicator Plugin - Once that is done you should be able to plug the GPS to any USB port, and use the "send to GPS" option. The option can be found from the cache search or the actual cache page.

POCKET QUERY. As mentioned above, after you create a pocket query it will be available for you to download. Once you download this file (it will be a ZIP file) you will need to unzip the GPX files and place them inside your GPS inside the following directory: "garmin/GPX".

Make sense?

I`ve tryed the GSAK Export Macro to see the geocache attributes and its working.

But i continue to think that is a malfuction of the Oregon650 gps or Groundspeak, it should transfert the attributes when you use the "Send to gps" option on the cache page or a PQuery.

GSAK is not accessible to all cachers.

But i continue to think that is a malfuction of the Oregon650 gps or Groundspeak, it should transfert the attributes when you use the "Send to gps" option on the cache page or a PQuery.

Attributes aren't part of a "GPX" file so it's not really a "malfuction". Changing the files to support more features is a slow process. But you may add input to the Website Features discussion.

I don't usually even look at the "cache attributes", and don't filter for them. Attributes would have to be a lot more consistently applied before they could be very useful. I add them to my own caches, just so I don't get grilled by some people about why no attributes. :anibad:

Attributes, as with photos, backgrounds, fancy HTML, and other cache page things, aren't part of a "GPX" file, so it's not really a "malfuction". Changing the files to support more features is a slow process. But you may add input to the Website Features discussion.

I don't usually even look at the "cache attributes", and don't filter for them. Attributes would have to be a lot more consistently applied before they could be very useful. I add them to my own caches, just so I don't get grilled by some people about why no attributes. :anibad:

Attributes aren't part of a "GPX" file so it's not really a "malfuction".

They are included, but you have to be using the right version of GPX file. Under your account settings, there's an option for whether you want version 1.0 or 1.0.1 of the GPX files. IIRC, the sole reason for the new 1.0.1 version was the addition of attributes.

Many GPSrs choke if you feed it a 1.0.1 GPX, so most people have their settings set for version 1.0.

Attributes aren't part of a "GPX" file so it's not really a "malfuction".

They are included, but you have to be using the right version of GPX file. Under your account settings, there's an option for whether you want version 1.0 or 1.0.1 of the GPX files. IIRC, the sole reason for the new 1.0.1 version was the addition of attributes.

Many GPSrs choke if you feed it a 1.0.1 GPX, so most people have their settings set for version 1.0.

My account is already set to 1.0.1 version.

Someone can tell me how to send the Geocache attibutes to the Garmin Oregon 650 ?

This is an expensive gps and i dont understand why we cant see the attibutes. Is it a Groundspeak or Garmin Big Bug ????

If you wish to send just one at a time directly from a cache page using "Send to My GPS", you may need to use the Firefox web browser (or other non-IE browser). It's tricky to get newer versions of Internet Explorer to work that way. There are a couple of things to install and configure, but it's kind of handy for a cache or two once in a while.

If you want to send a few hundred caches at once, make a "Pocket Query". This produces a couple of large GPX files containing up to 1000 caches at a time. It's easy and explained on the PQ page, but you may need more info specific to your particular GPSr if you get stuck. I placed PQs from several areas I often visit, on my Oregon 650, since there's "no limit" to the number of Geocaches that device can manage. That's pretty useful for reference. Before a trip to an area, I delete the old file and place a fresh PQ.

I have placed my pocket into my garmin/gpx folder. I don't seem to see them in my oregon 600t. after putting in file, what else am I supposed to do?

I have placed my pocket into my garmin/gpx folder. I don't seem to see them in my oregon 600t. after putting in file, what else am I supposed to do?

On the Oregon, you won't see the attribute icons by just adding a PQ directly.

Sorry, my previous reply didn't address the "attributes" in the OP, the icons (attributes) such as "Night Cache" or "Stealth Required". I didn't understand the question (it was clarified later). Ignore that reply. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion