openstreetmap on Garmin Montana

erdos

I downloaded the latest Openstreetmaps (july 22 version)for use with my Garmin Montana 600 from openmapchest, this version has improved noticeably from previous version i downloaded (Sep. 2014).

my question is regarding the address search feature and POIs: Does openstreetmap come with its own address and POIs information embedded in the map? since i also have garmin City Navigator maps installed on Montana 600 GPS, i couldn't tell whether there's any difference between these two maps for these features.

The openmapchest site does proclaim right on the country pages, "Address search" and "Searchable POIs" so yes, it should work.

OSM (the main map database) also does have a "place" for this info, and people have been adding it as time goes by. Out of two million contributors, at least a few would've been working on addresses and POIs.

Address data for the US in OpenStreetMap is not as good as Garmin's City Navigator maps. This is partly because there seems to be less user maintenance of the maps in the US than in places like Europe and Japan, which have nicely detailed OSM data.

thank you for the input! I found it the hard way, I live in Washington DC area and discovered there are many mistakes with OSM data in DC/VA/MD area, twice I got lost when I drove through DC, one time I was directed to a trailer park on my way to a wildlife refuge area in southern Maryland, and at a certain section of highway I-395 in Northern Virginia, i was always directed by OSM to make a U-turn.

Since I'm not familiar with OSM road editing, i can't make corresponding corrections on the OSM.

OSM lets you add notes, which an experienced mapper will deal with. All input is appreciated.

Routing is pretty good in my own town; I can tell people have been working on it. (I've added my own two bits, polishing up the bike-safe routing; now I get reliable voice directions to the cache down bike paths and avoiding freeways etc. Sweet.)