Hi! new player...

Hiya and welcome!! I'm a relative newbie too and I'm loving the camaraderie of geocaching and of course, the fun in going out finding them! My lovely family bought me a Garmin etrex 20 for my birthday and I'm finding it ideal although it did take a bit of getting used to!! Now I have mastered it though, it's ideal for my needs and I would recommend it as a good start! Hope you have as much fun as I do!! :D

Great I found the cgeo app and it works great! The accuracy is +- 6 meters.. Good enough to play the game.... Thanks :)

While c:geo is a popular app, it is not one officially approved by Groundspeak. I don't need to get in to the details here but just search the forums for c:geo and you will find an abundance of opinions but some information too.

In addition, smart phones are great for finding but the accuracy is not good enough to trust on its own for placing caches. Not to say it can't be done, just make sure you verify with someone who has a GPSr or check on google Earth/maps.

Hello, I'm new too :) I'd known about geocaching for a while and had started reading up on it on here and elsewhere, got a bit overwhelmed with all of the details as it seemed so complicated! But once I downloaded the app (and bought the premium version) I just went for it and found my first cache really easily. I'm still learning!

Just a quick question though- you know how you swop something of equal or higher value? How do you know what sort of value to take with you? From reading a few posts it seems there are a lot of little toys and some trackables (not sure about them yet!) so would a safe bet be to take something like that on a geocaching trip, or are there one with higher value items?

Also, unless it's a trackable/geocoin etc, is it OK to keep any item you've taken and you've swopped for, as a souvenir of your find?

Edited by MiriamRose

Just a quick question though- you know how you swop something of equal or higher value? How do you know what sort of value to take with you? From reading a few posts it seems there are a lot of little toys and some trackables (not sure about them yet!) so would a safe bet be to take something like that on a geocaching trip, or are there one with higher value items?

Also, unless it's a trackable/geocoin etc, is it OK to keep any item you've taken and you've swopped for, as a souvenir of your find?

Welcome!

These days the caches with the 'higher value' trades are either new caches, or older caches that have a fair bit of effort to find - mental and physical effort.

If it doesn't get found too often, the trade items tend to deteriorate less quickly.(That's if you can find a cache large enough for trades!)

You've traded -hopefully 'fairly' it's yours. Do what you like with it. :)

(And, TB's and coins are NOT trade items.)