RIP Lindinis

heartradio

Just read the following in the GAGB Seeker magazine:

Ernie Barrow

(Reviewer: Lindinis)

RIP

Ernie Barrow started geocaching in 2008 as ‘Ernie B’ and placed many caches and series around Somerset. He was a keen photographer and enjoyed combining both hobbies on caching trips.

In 2012 he was invited to join the UK and Ireland reviewing team where he would be able to use his expertise and knowledge to help the geocaching community. He took the reviewer name of Lindinis, which was the Roman name for the village of Ilchester near where he lived.

He was a retired engineer from Westland helicopters and used his technical knowledge to create the first ‘reverse geocache’ to be published in the UK, GC5000X which has proved immensely popular with cachers.

Ernie had suffered from ill health for a few years and during 2014 his health began to deteriorate, so, in August, he made the decision to quietly retire from reviewing. He was a keen fund raiser for the Air Ambulance and at his last geocaching event in September he held a raffle where he put up many of his geocoins as prizes. Altogether he raised £150.

Each year the reviewing team have a meeting and we were all so pleased that despite his poor health Ernie was able to come to our 2014 meeting in Devon. It is very sad he has now passed away and we will all miss him.

:( :(

Thank You heartradio for passing on this sad news about Lindinis

I knew Ernie B (as he was then) in my early days of geocaching, when I lived down in Somerset.

He had set some lovely caches, including a series which ran from the seaside near Weston Super Mare, to West Bay at the English Channel just south of Bridport. It was designed as a route - about 60 miles, and 56 caches - Probably to be done by car.

Well I picked a day in August - not too hot, thankfully - and went on my bicycle and did the whole series - the crossing of the Somerset Levels being the only level part of the route, only DNFing one, that had gone missing. I filled in my logs, stating that, and Ernie was out two days later, to replace it; concluding that it had been muggled by badgers. It takes some dedication to establish, maintain and respond that quickly to DNFs. A fantastic example to all.

He will be sorely missed

54b93f7e-3873-4319-bdd7-e33cad3a6623.jpg

I have friends in Somerset, so I've been to (and hosted once) events there and I cache down there quite often. I met Ernie just a couple of times, but found him to be a really nice guy; very patient and helpful as a reviewer.

My condolences to his family and friends.

As others have said, he will be remembered and missed.