Do you use the ignore list?

TerraViators

Not thus far. Generally, if a cache doesn't immediately strike my fancy it's because:

1. It's kind of junky and lame, in which case it needs to be livened up through context. That boring guardrail cache can be kind of fun on a night run after work or something.

2. It's a very challenging cache that I hope to get around to. It's amazing to see how, over time, I've gradually found caches that I once thought impossible.

Used to, but after a hundred or so (terrain 1 to 1.5) added to the list, realized it wasn't worth it.

- I'd never keep up. :laughing:

Found a local hider with great walks/hikes and often awesome views and/or unique locations, used 1.5 in terrain if hides were next to a trail.

- Was missing out on a bunch I'd do.

Now I just sort through the carp by reading the cache pages or looking at the map.

I'll probably get around to ignoring all challenges someday, but CJ swears that eventually she'll get the Delorme in our State, so that one's gotta stay.

I like the crazy tree climbs. :)

If I put all the caches that I have no intention of finding on the ignore list, it would get out of hand. Particular puzzles, challenges or traditionals may find their way there, but at some point I decided that not it was easier to effectively ignore caches, and seeing certain caches served as a good reminder that I do not need to search for something just because someone left a container.

I use an iphone app to search for caches, filter results, manage databases, and export gpx files to my handheld as need arises. It has its own ignore function that I use much more often.

Edited by geodarts

I do use it. I put a number of things in there

Challenge caches that I will not work on but are close, or ones I have signed but not qualified

Boat required caches that are close enough to my home to pull up in pocket queries

caches not findable

caches that I will not do, true ignores

events like the 2015 block party. I know its there but I do not need to see it on my nearest caches for 12 months

my couple of puzzle caches I created on a different account that I would not feel right finding

go through it once in a while to restore caches that get archived or in the not findable cases, restore to being active again

probably use it more than most folks

Edited by lamoracke

I have one cache on my ignore list.

NRV

The CO challenges finders to NOT log the Found It and post a note instead.

To keep it from showing as unfound on my map and lists, I Ignore it.

I guess I shouldn't be, but I am surprised by the number of finders who can't resist one more smiley and log it found anyways.

NRV

I guess I shouldn't be, but I am surprised by the number of finders who can't resist one more smiley and log it found anyways.

I kind of want to go find that next time I'm in the GTA. Hilarious.

It would have nothing to do with the smiley, I log every cache I find. If I don't log it I haven't finished the cache yet. It doesn't matter what the CO says. (although on this cache, I think the CO was talking a little tongue in cheek, when he said don't log it.)

I ignore a lot of caches, but I have never used the ignore feature.

It would have nothing to do with the smiley, I log every cache I find. If I don't log it I haven't finished the cache yet. It doesn't matter what the CO says. (although on this cache, I think the CO was talking a little tongue in cheek, when he said don't log it.)

If it's such a waste of time to hunt it, why'd he waste his time to hide it? I think tongue was firmly planted in cheek on this one.

I've never used the ignore list on the website, using GSAK I have other ways of filtering out those I'm not interested in currently (but that might change the next time I'm looking at caches in the area).

No, I never use it. I've considered it a few times, such as for challenges I'll literally never be able to meet. But I never did, and now I find it amusing to read those cache pages from time to time when I forget why they're unfound and discover the absurd silliness of the idea all over again. If I put them on the ignore list, I'd never have a chance to be reminded why I was ignoring them.

I have over 400 on my ignore list.

I would love to have multiple ignore lists to help me keep things organized. One for micros. One for challenge caches. I might go over those lists every now and then to see if any of the micros are highly favoured or I qualify for any of the challenges.

No, I never use it. I've considered it a few times, such as for challenges I'll literally never be able to meet. But I never did, and now I find it amusing to read those cache pages from time to time when I forget why they're unfound and discover the absurd silliness of the idea all over again. If I put them on the ignore list, I'd never have a chance to be reminded why I was ignoring them.

Sure you can - just scan the List once in a while. I go through it periodically and see how many of those ill-placed caches I ignored quickly got archived.

I can only recall ever putting one cache on my ignore list. That was a puzzle cache that had some poorly-done MS Frontpage HTML-bloat that wreaked havoc with my Magellan GPSr of the time. After that cache was archived (I never did find it), I removed it from my ignore list.

I'm the type of cacher who will go find anything. I'll go find the LPCs, high-muggle-zones, or needle-in-a-haystacks. There are a few challenge caches which I'm unlikely to ever complete, but like dprovan I like to come across them on the map and occasionally bring them up to see what other people are saying. Who knows, maybe the CO has made the challenge easier since I last looked!

I'm surprised that we haven't maxed ours out yet.

I know of several cachers who have well over 1,000 caches on their Ignore Lists. Nobody seems to know what the limit is.

I make liberal use of the Ignore List. Mine currently has a total of 729 caches on it. Caches that go on my Ignore List include:

* Unsolved puzzle caches. I also have a separate bookmark list of these caches, to remind me to actually solve some of them one of these days.

* Urban micros whose only challenge is the need for stealth. Not my style.

* Caches requiring serious tree-climbing. I don't bounce like I used to.

* Other 5-star terrain caches either requiring equipment I don't have or abilities I no longer have.

* Micros in the woods that, based on previous logs, are nothing but needles in haystacks.

* Caches known to be in thoroughly trashy (trash-filled) areas.

* A few caches I've simply given up on after several attempts.

I'm a big fan of the notion that I don't have to find every cache that's published anywhere near me. Even with this long Ignore List, and after eight years of caching in this area, I still have almost 4,000 unfound caches within 60 miles of home to keep me happy.

--Larry

I only use it for caches in my home area radius. If it is either too hard, or I couldn't find it, it goes on my Ignore list, so that I can look around home for new GCs that I haven't tried yet.

I do look for caches in other states on trips. But I generally just pick-and-choose from the map and skip the rest. Any that I don't find on such a trip, don't go into my Ignore list, unless I plan to be in that location often. Hasn't happened yet.

Edited by MountainWoods

NRV

Proof hardly anyone reads cache pages. And as a 1/1, it's gonna show in the intro app, as evidenced by many newbie Tftc logs, and a couple of the infamous "That's one more find for me!" logs in June. Which is about the last ones you're going to see, before TPTB removed that from the app.

Oh, I have about 700 on the ignore list. For some odd reason, I go in and purge the archived ones a few times a year, I'm sure it would be a couple thousand if I didn't do that. Impossible Puzzles, impossible (for me) challenges and anything lame, as determined by me from reading the cache page and looking at the maps as they're published in my 50 mile notification radius. It's extremely rare for anything not within my 50 mile notification radius to end up on my ignore list.

By the way, on the edit, keep in mind this is the forums. I wouldn't doubt less than 1% of premium members use it. Lets say 99%+ of them I know don't. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I have over 400 on my ignore list.

I would love to have multiple ignore lists to help me keep things organized. One for micros. One for challenge caches. I might go over those lists every now and then to see if any of the micros are highly favoured or I qualify for any of the challenges.

You could download all of them from the ignore list to gsak and then use different filters to look at the ones you want.

I'm surprised that we haven't maxed ours out yet.

I know of several cachers who have well over 1,000 caches on their Ignore Lists. Nobody seems to know what the limit is.

I make liberal use of the Ignore List. Mine currently has a total of 729 caches on it. Caches that go on my Ignore List include:

* Unsolved puzzle caches. I also have a separate bookmark list of these caches, to remind me to actually solve some of them one of these days.

* Urban micros whose only challenge is the need for stealth. Not my style.

* Caches requiring serious tree-climbing. I don't bounce like I used to.

* Other 5-star terrain caches either requiring equipment I don't have or abilities I no longer have.

* Micros in the woods that, based on previous logs, are nothing but needles in haystacks.

* Caches known to be in thoroughly trashy (trash-filled) areas.

* A few caches I've simply given up on after several attempts.

I'm a big fan of the notion that I don't have to find every cache that's published anywhere near me. Even with this long Ignore List, and after eight years of caching in this area, I still have almost 4,000 unfound caches within 60 miles of home to keep me happy.

--Larry

Mine was up to 1500 but I worked in GSAK to prune it down eliminating ones in places i won't travel to again like Alaska. I put a bunch of Unknowns there and most caches I don't find go there since there are so many available there is no reason to go back unless it is special.

Today I placed 3 more on my ignore list as I hunted for caches. A couple of micros listed as smalls (read it in the description 'a preform/pill bottle no room for pencil BYO), didn't bother to look, and a tree climb cache with a low terrain (2.5), the CO doesn't consider a cache 15 feet up to be a tree climb. I wish the iPhone app had an ignore option on each cache entry. I have to tap the 'view on geocaching.com' option then ignore it via the website while out in the field. If I wait until I get home I'll forget which ones I wanted to ignore.

I will sometimes, but not too often. I usually remember which ones are in someone's front yard and don't even bother trying, as I will not paw through a pine tree looking for a small bison tube thinking someone is inside getting a good laugh. I think about doing so to puzzles, but then think that just maybe I might be clever enough to solve the tough ones, not that that has panned out recently <_<

I think about doing so to puzzles, but then think that just maybe I might be clever enough to solve the tough ones, not that that has panned out recently dry.gif

The puzzle caches that wind up on my Ignore List are the type that can't easily be solved in the field. I just don't want them cluttering up the cache list on my GPSr or phone when I'm out looking for caches. If and when I solve a particular puzzle, I take it off my Ignore List

Field puzzles, on the other hand, aren't on my Ignore List and do show up on my GPSr and phone, since they need to be solved at the cache site.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Sure you can - just scan the List once in a while. I go through it periodically and see how many of those ill-placed caches I ignored quickly got archived.

I could, but I wouldn't.

The only caches I've put on my ignore list are nearby challenge caches that I don't expect to complete. That keeps them off my "nearest unfound puzzles" searches, which I use when I'm in the mood to work on puzzles.

I actually took one off my ignore list recently, because I had completed the challenge. I actually completed the challenge on my own, for fun, and then realized afterwards that I had qualified for a cache that was on my ignore list.

I could, but I wouldn't.

Dude, he's right. It's totally fun to scan it once in a while and see that the film canister tossed into the supermarket's landscaping was archived after 2 months because a cacher was confronted by store security. :lol:

I do. I place challenge caches that I'm no where close to completing and I remove them when I'm qualified, just to keep them off the my immediate search map. I also place crazy tree climbs on it, not the easy climb ten feet up, but the crazy 40 foot climbs that require equipment or serious monkey skills.

Over 1700 on my list. Mainly "power trails".

Another cemetery cache went on my Ignore List today. And I'm considering adding the 514 caches along Rte 514 to my Ignore List. I don't need that trash. Not maintained. All micros listed as 'small'. Oh, well. (This is where 'Add Cache Owner to the Ignore List' would be nice!)

Similar one closer to me (but still in your State), over 200, claimed as small, but the cache pages say, "Containers are mostly pill bottles, hide a keys, bottle pre-forms and 35mm film containers".

- Ignore.

I too would like to see a "Ignore this cache owner", but the site probably figures that's not playing nice.

Odd though, as I can ignore posters here...

NRV

Ditto.

I never use the ignore list, if I want it off the map I'll go find it.

NRV

Ditto.

I never use the ignore list, if I want it off the map I'll go find it.

We had one locally a few years ago titled "DON'T FIND THIS USELESS LPC" .....it was kind of a joke and all the locals found it.

I initially held Roman!s point of view. Find 'em and they'll come of the map. With more experience, I'm finding there are a couple cachers nearby who just have some disgusting hides, boldly blatant guideline violations (that reflect poorly on us all) and those few that just can't seem to get archived but aren't worth finding.

I've started using my ignore list more often lately. I like a bunch of the reasons replied to in this thread too though...