eXplorist GC not showing nearby caches

I just got this unit, so I'm not sure if I'm not using it correctly or what, but I'm having an issue getting it to show...well, the caches that I want it to show. It shows my location accurately, but shows the closest cache to me as being 24 miles away, and I know there's five within a mile of my location. Do I need to sync it with this site somehow? Or put a file on the GPS to get the rest of the caches I know are there?

I like to think of myself as tech-savvy, but this is stumping me.

I just got this unit, so I'm not sure if I'm not using it correctly or what, but I'm having an issue getting it to show...well, the caches that I want it to show. It shows my location accurately, but shows the closest cache to me as being 24 miles away, and I know there's five within a mile of my location. Do I need to sync it with this site somehow? Or put a file on the GPS to get the rest of the caches I know are there?

I like to think of myself as tech-savvy, but this is stumping me.

It's a GPS. How will it magically know where caches are? You dont buy an iPod and expect it to have all your music on it- you have to put music on it. Yes it comes with some caches- but just some, at the time of them programming it which may have been a year ago. Step one is to delete everything on it, step two is to download the caches you want. One at a time, or use a pocket query if you are a PM.

It's a GPS. How will it magically know where caches are? You dont buy an iPod and expect it to have all your music on it- you have to put music on it. Yes it comes with some caches- but just some, at the time of them programming it which may have been a year ago. Step one is to delete everything on it, step two is to download the caches you want. One at a time, or use a pocket query if you are a PM.

Well now I feel slightly stupid. :rolleyes: So it's just user error, then.

New question! Would I just delete the .gpx files currently in the unit's folder? There's 'top 99 in north america' and 'newgeocaches'

Well now I feel slightly stupid. :rolleyes: So it's just user error, then.

New question! Would I just delete the .gpx files currently in the unit's folder? There's 'top 99 in north america' and 'newgeocaches'

Delete them all. Geocache info is old after a week, and those may be years old.

It doesn't help that the Magellan doesn't come with a user manual! I had the same problem.

Glad you have it sorted.

Just remember that you need to update the caches on your GPSr regularly so that you get new ones that are published. Also, if you are travelling to a new area, remember to do a pocket query and add the caches before you travel.