National Geographic TOPO! for Magellan Triton GPS

steameng8

Below is an answer I received from someone at National Geographic answering my questions about what Maps will work with the Magellan Triton GPS units and what some of the differences are in the different mapping Software they sell.

I have ordered a new Magellan Triton 2000 GPS and want to order some of the NG Software Maps. I have ordered the: 20518 TOPO! Georgia, Alabama, Florida

###########################

Thanks for your interest. Answers below, but none of the ones you ask about will transfer maps to the Triton at this time. We hope in future all our software will work this way, but for now it's just the state TOPO! that you have ordered and Weekend Explorer, which is the same as TOPO! just with smaller coverage areas that will work with triton.

Info: Can you please help me understand the differences in the following National Geographic Mapping Software?

Other Software that will not yet work with the Triton:

Question A: 20118 National Geographic Back Roads Explorer CD-ROM

(18 CDs).

Answer A: This is a national product at 1:100,000 scale, our map level 4. The most detailed maps are 1:24,000, our level 5, which is what you get in the state product.

Question B: 1023000 National Geographic National Parks Explorer 3D Mapping Software

Answer B: This has digital version of our Trails Illustrated maps for 25 national parks. These maps have more recreational information than USGS maps, including the most complete and up-to-date trail network.

Question C: 1023022 Southern Appalachian Mountains Explorer 3D (what part of the Smoky Mountains is in this one and how does it differ from buying the: 20531 TOPO! North Carolina, South Carolina

Answer C: This also has Trails Illustrated maps, in this case contiguous coverage along the mountains. So the maps are better in terms of having trail information than the USGS maps in our state product, but the coverage is much more limited and as stated above, we haven't yet enabled data transfer with Triton.

At some point I expect all our software will be fully Triton compatible, but we have been scrambling to finish the interface with the state series which is our best selling line. We are very excited about the tritons -- especially the 2000!

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

Eric