Getting ready for our first hides

mkolodner

Hi all. My family are casual geocachers and my children are, at this point, more interested in hiding a few than anything else. We're stocking up on container and hint ideas. But my 11 year old extreme rule follower is concerned about the issue of getting permission. I have read the guidelines and "You assure us that you have the landowner's and/or land manager's permission before you hide any geocache, whether placed on private or public property." But I think it's quite clear that 90% of the caches we've seen so far don't have documentable permission. For example, how would you get permission on the side of a random highway?

I just wanted to check, before submitting anything for review, that this is a common sense kind of guideline? I don't want to go to all the trouble and then have the reviewer reject a hide...

All of our hides were placed with permission of the landowners.

Often, folks saw our placements and just assumed they could hide there now too, causing problems with the landowners, sometimes ruining the effort we put into the partnership.

You affirm you received permission when placing a cache.

Any issues result because you didn't get permission, the site has record of you saying you did, covering their can.

Sounds (to me) like a very intelligent 11 year old. :)

Permission doesn't always have to be 'Written Permission' A verbal "Yes" is acceptable...
Around here, a number of parks and open spaces have geocaching policies that grant permission for any cache that complies with the requirements of the policy (which can be more strict than Groundspeak's guidelines). That counts as adequate permission too.

Some places don't require special permission. For example on NY DEC lands you only need to follow a few rules and mention that you followed them on your cache page. They do not expect to give permission for each hide. They only ask that you abibe by their guidelines. If you call and ask for permission they might not even know what you are talking about. So bottom line, know the rules of the area where you are hiding your cache.