Garmin Gpsmap 64 ST

I use Basemap for my Gps unit, works great.

When i look at my unit it have all the caches i have downloaded, including my birdseye pictures.

But when i go for my caching adventure the unit cant find the downloaded caches. It semes that it can find the waypoints and parkingpoints but not the caches.

Back to Basemap and they are all still registered on the unit. I try again and the unit still says no.

Any ideas why ?

Couple things... Check to see if you have the latest firmware. On the Geocaches list, press menu and check your filter settings. You might have an accidental filter setting that's wrong. Also try menu/Show Found. And these caches are within 100 miles of your current location, yes? On my 64s, it won't display caches more than about 150 miles away until I pan the map there.

Thanks for the answers, have checked it all, no change.

Now i have tried to delete them all and copyed them back to the unit.........IT WORKS AGAIN

EDIT: I think i have found the problem. It works until i change the batteries, then the unit cant find the caches again. If i delete and restore the caches it works again.

This gives me a big problem because i cant change the batteries in the field.

EDIT EDIT: Just tried to mess around with the unit.

I install the caches and turn the unit on - it works and then i turn it off again.

When i turn it on again its gone again.

It semes to be the startup "read" function that is not working propperly

Any new ideas ?

Edited by Topgun123456

This is a known issue with all Garmin GPS's where it fails to index the geocaches upon startup. Most people experience this sporadically and not very often, so I'm not sure what's causing your problem to be more chronic. The answer is to do what you did... remove the caches, turn it on, and then load the caches again and it'll often index properly. When this happens while you're out in the field, it can be a bit frustrating. For this reason, it's a good idea to buy a microSD card and put all of your geocaches on the card rather than the internal memory of your GPS. You can always remove the card, turn it on, turn it off, put the card back and get the caches to re-index.

Are you using Basecamp to install the geocaches? You don't need to do that. It's best to use pocket queries and put the gpx files directly onto your device (or SD card) in the /Garmin/GPX folder.

I had this problem occasionally with my eTrex 30, and pulling the SD card and rebooting always cleared it. I've had a 64s for a few months and never had this happen. I thought they finally had it whipped with the 64 series. Apparently not.

I put everything on SD card; maps and GPX files. I use BaseCamp but not to install Geocaches. I always 'export to gpx' to the SD card, using the name of the list as the GPX filename. Everything particular to a location like a FP or city is all in that one gpx; caches, waypoints, tracks, etc.

I have had the same problem, all caches disappears after a power cycle on the GPSMAP 64st. Started to safely remove the GPSMAP from the computer by right-click in Explorer and unmount the drive. Then I'v had no problems. I think Garmin has a general bug in their USB-handling software if this bug exists in many GPS devices.

Aint gonna cut it for me, my software is 3.10 (newest here in Denmark)

I am having a correspondance with Garmin Support here in Denmark, still waiting for the latest answer.

To start with they said my caches was in the wrong filetype :blink: (geocaching.com)

Second they said the problem was my way to put them on the unit <_< (using Basecamp)

Then i told them several forum called it a common Garmin problem, havent heard from them since :D

It could be a hardware issue, but it's more likely a bad file somewhere.

One option is to perform a hard reset. This will erase all user data and settings and restore the device to factory state. In doing so, it may fix any system files that went bad along the way.

If that doesn't work, and your unit is still under warranty, you can probably get Garmin to replace it for you.

Just got reply from Garmin Support Denmark :)

** Do a hard reset, it is the only thing they can recomend/think off

** Until they release a software update that will fix the problem

Hmmmm.... I have my doubt about the fix since this bug has been present for a long time with multible models <_<

I cross my fingers and hope the best

A hard reset "works" as it reloads the GPX files. BUT, you lose waypoints, tracks, etc..... so it is a poor solution. The solutions stated above are much better.

It is not so much a "bug". The problem is from files that contain "bad" HTML. The HTML processing code hangs when trying to deal with it. If you remove the bad HTML first, you won't have the unit hang. I have not had a single unit lock up in years ever since GSAK added the facility to remove the bad HTML.

Edited by Red90

A hard reset "works" as it reloads the GPX files. BUT, you lose waypoints, tracks, etc..... so it is a poor solution. The solutions stated above are much better.

Waypoints, tracks, and routes are stored in GPX files on the mass storage drive and will be read in the next time you boot up. Doing a hard reset will not remove those.

Waypoints, tracks, and routes are stored in GPX files on the mass storage drive and will be read in the next time you boot up. Doing a hard reset will not remove those.

Only ones that you have put on the unit. The "active track", any manually added waypoints, recent finds and such are all lost.

[…] any manually added waypoints, recent finds […] are all lost.

Added waypoints are stored in GPX files. Those files will NOT deleted by a hard reset.

Recent finds (the recent finds are NOT stored inside the Geocache GPX file) are deleted because they are stored in the Garmin's internal Index file which will be deleted by hard reset.

Hans

[…] any manually added waypoints, recent finds […] are all lost.

Added waypoints are stored in GPX files. Those files will NOT deleted by a hard reset.

Recent finds (the recent finds are NOT stored inside the Geocache GPX file) are deleted because they are stored in the Garmin's internal Index file which will be deleted by hard reset.

Hans

The added waypoints are only put into a GPX file when the unit is connected to a computer and then placed into the current.gpx file. This is lost on a hard reset. Try it.....

[...]

The added waypoints are only put into a GPX file when the unit is connected to a computer and then placed into the current.gpx file. This is lost on a hard reset. Try it.....

You're wrong again. The highlighted GPX in the screenshot is a user created waypoint in the field. This GPX will NOT be deleted whilst a hard reset.

d4063474c460d74ed3cc1c725687552b.png

Hans

current.gpx only holds the latest tracks, before they are archived to date-named .gpx files.

Waypoints are saved as shown in the post just above.

Except the acient units Red90 is working with (Colorado and the very old Oregon xoo series acting like he described it) laugh.gif

Hans

Um, I think I know what the problem is. Had this happen to me today, for the second time. Powered up today, after battery change a couple days ago. It said I had no geocaches. Was driving my mom around, not actually caching. So, waited until I got home, hooked it up to the computer and went to look at the drive the SD card is assigned (I keep downloaded cache files on an SD Card on the 64) and said there was no disk in the drive. Light bulb went on in my head, so I pulled the back off, took out the batteries and sure enough, the locking mechanism on the SD card was loose again.

You know the batteries can be a little challenging to change in this unit, as they're in there pretty tight. I was in a hurry when I changed them the other day and I think it knocks the locking mechanism loose for the SD Card. So, I re-seated the card, made sure it was in the lock position, put the batteries back in, and voila...there were all the caches.

Now, if you are losing the file info and you keep your files in the area the original preloaded cache file was (the one with the useless 250,000 geocaches), and you don't have/use an SD card, I don't know what the problem might be. I opted to delete that original cache file and created a folder on the SD Card called Garmin and another folder UNDER that called GPX and I have about 15 .gpx files in that folder. These files are pocket query results downloaded directly from gc.com. Not created through importing into Base camp, not created using GSAK. Just 15 separate files, with about 1000 caches each. Unlike the DeLorme I had, I don't have to load each file. The 64 sees all the caches in all the files at once. Pretty nice and so much less work.

I usually consider myself ok with technology, but a few weeks ago I purchased my first Garmin, a GPSMAP 64st, and I am completely perplexed at how to use it for Geocaching. Suffice it to say the 64st is making me feel like a total n00b.

I've been using an iPad mini tethered to a Bad-Elf Pro GPS, and it is so easy to use; however, that configuration lacks the ability to deploy .gpx files. I have no problem putting together a 'Collection' of Geocaches using Basecamp, then exporting them to the 64st. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to access these when in the field. I seem to only be able to access these caches when the 64st is directly connected to my computer. I can easily view what is on the 64st using basecamp on my computer, but I can't figure out the buttons to hit on the 64st to actually access them on the device. The 64st seems to only want me to go after the preloaded caches, but most of the time (in the area I cache), the cache I am seeking is not included in the preloaded caches. As for accessing a GSAK generated .gpx file from the 64st, I can't even figure out what buttons to push to find the files on the device.

A little help pointing me in the right direction (proper forum or a good user manual) would be appreciate.

Are you using Basecamp to install the geocaches? You don't need to do that. It's best to use pocket queries and put the gpx files directly onto your device (or SD card) in the /Garmin/GPX folder.

Couple things... Check to see if you have the latest firmware. On the Geocaches list, press menu and check your filter settings. You might have an accidental filter setting that's wrong. Also try menu/Show Found. And these caches are within 100 miles of your current location, yes? On my 64s, it won't display caches more than about 150 miles away until I pan the map there.

Just wanted to bump this reply, since I had exactly the same thing. Bought a GPSMAP 64S, loaded some pocket queries to it, and then tried to search for a geocache which I knew to be a long way away, but which I am planning on visiting in a few days time. Spell Search couldn't find it. However if I search for a location nearby and look at the map, I can see all the geocaches. So like JohnCNA said, there seems to be some built in filter on the 64s which won't even let you search for distant geocaches. This is a bit annoying if you want to double check that some caches have been loaded up to your device before leaving. I'm glad this note was posted here though, as otherwise I would have gone mad trying to work out what was going on.

I know someone with a new Oregon that does this, too. My eTrex 30 was this way as well. It looks like maybe the newer models have this as a standard. On another discussion board it was a suggested possibility that this may have been done on the units that support many thousands of caches to avoid overly long sort and search times. Sure would be nice to be able to override it at times.