Garmin Dakota 20: Downloading Finds

Team Hugs

My primary GPSr is a Garmin Dakota 20. I've stumbled my way around using it for geocaching, since there really isn't anything in the "official" Garmin documentation.

I've found how to mark a loaded cache as found, and how to access all the loaded caches previously marked as found. This is fine for my logging if I've only done a "few" at a time. But if I have more than a few finds, it becomes somewhat tedious to walk through all the screens, since the master list doesn't show the GC codes.

I'm thinking about doing a powertrail run in a few weeks (something on the order of 100 caches). With that number of caches, is there an easier way to access all of the caches I mark as found during the day? A more convenient display screen? A way to download the finds to some external file on my Windows laptop? Something else?

If you are adding at least a "Found" entry on your Dakota 20, then start your trip by deleting the Garmin/geocache_visits.txt file. This is your history of all of the previous Found, DNF and notes that you have added when finding caches.

That file will be available for you to upload under the "Field Notes" section of the gc.com site, or you can review them (though somewhat awkwardly) with the text editor of your choice. It sounds as though you've never tried the 'field notes' option. See here: https://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx

You can upload the geocache_visits.txt file there and it will create a full list of your found caches on the site, ready for your commentary and official logging.

It's a bit dated, but here's how it looked and pretty much looks today >>> http://kingstongeocaching.com/articles/57-geocaching/265-field-notes-make-logging-easier