Best handheld gps?

Hi,

My daughter and I are relatively new geocaching but absolutely loving it! I want to get a handheld gps as my iphone battery just doesn't last long enough. Any suggestions? Needs to be easy to use and upload geocaches on as I'm not really the best with technological gadgets!

Thanks in advance!

There is no "best"... due mostly to what people do or don't like in a GPSr.

Being fairly equal in abilities, those choices come down to price; size; button vs. joystick vs. touch-screen usage and memory capabilities.

In the European market, Garmin (1st) then Magellan (2nd) I think, are the most popular.

Magellan units are both touch-screen and button operated.

Garmin offers all three options options of types.

Budget-wise, Magellan eXplorist GC and 110 models are entry-level units. They work fine, but one soon desires "better" (that being more fancier options/abilities).

Garmin eTrex series are very popular, with the eTrex 10 being the bottom-line, most basic unit. As such, it (the '10) does have limitations and drawbacks -- most notably a lack of memory capabilities; second is the grey-scale display screen (no color).

The eTrex 20 and '30 models have color screens and expandable memory capabilities. The eTrex models are button and joystick operated.

Next (price-wise) is the Dakota 20, touch-screen operated and color display screen.

Although the GPSMAP 78 series will work for geocaching, it is geared towards boating and on-water use.

Next up the line are the GPSMAP 64 models, all button operation. Moderately priced.

Further up the line are Oregon and Montana series, all touch-screen operation and priced moderate to high.

Check out the Garmin line here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cIntoSports-c10341-p1.html

The Magellan line: http://www.magellangps.com/Store/eXploristSeries

Do note that expandable memory in the Magellan lines starts at the 510 model and up only, not in the lower numbered models.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee