Download from web site

Hi,

Just joined and really looking forward to starting our geocaching experience, have ordered a Garmin Etrex 10 and despite looking cannot find any info on downloading co-ordinates direct from the site onto the gps via lead, is this possible and if so how. Any pointers welcome.

Regards

Welcome. I know you'll have a lot of fun geocaching and you've selected a nice GPS receiver to get started with. The first thing I would do is download the manual from Garmin and start reading about what you can do with your new "companion". If I'm understanding your question correctly, you simply attach your eTrex to your PC via the USB cable provided. Once on the page of the cache you'd like to find, click on the tab that says "Send to my GPS". NOTE: The first time doing this may cause a pop-up asking to install the "Garmin Communicator". This should be straight forward. The manual may also mention this. Good luck! Link for manual: eTrex 10 manual

Hi,

Just joined and really looking forward to starting our geocaching experience, have ordered a Garmin Etrex 10 and despite looking cannot find any info on downloading co-ordinates direct from the site onto the gps via lead, is this possible and if so how. Any pointers welcome.

Regards

Welcome. I know you'll have a lot of fun geocaching and you've selected a nice GPS receiver to get started with. The first thing I would do is download the manual from Garmin and start reading about what you can do with your new "companion". If I'm understanding your question correctly, you simply attach your eTrex to your PC via the USB cable provided. Once on the page of the cache you'd like to find, click on the tab that says "Send to my GPS". NOTE: The first time doing this may cause a pop-up asking to install the "Garmin Communicator". This should be straight forward. The manual may also mention this. Good luck! Link for manual: eTrex 10 manual

This is exactly what I would suggest, however, some people have problems when using Internet Explorer as even when you have the communicator installed it says "cannot find communicator". I found that changing to Google or Mozilla solved the problems and others have changed the compatibility settings on Internet Explorer.

When you first go out with your GPS expect a very steep learning curve, we were ready to throw it in the nearest dustbin on more than a few occasions before we really got the idea of what to do and how it all worked. It was worth it in the end but rather frustrating to start with.

Good Luck!

I have an etrex10 and despite having had it for 18mths, I'm still learning how to use it!

I have been able to download geocaches using the USB cable, but I tried the other day and it said its couldn't detect the 'plug in' ... so I tried to install it again, but it said i already had! ... but it won't work at all with the USB now! I used it 10 days ago and it took a while to 'notice' that the cable was plugged in, it then worked fine an d i downloaded lots, but ran out of time to put all the ones i wanted on ...

I have now had to add them individually by hand! very tedious.

I did wonder if it was my USB ports, but I've been able to use other USBs in them with no problem!

Be aware.

IF you use Internet Explorer, there are 'problems' with the Garmin communicator/Internet Explorer and Grundspeaks web site..

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=457

6.15. Issues with Internet Explorer 11

If you are experiencing difficulties using the Send to GPS plugin, please take the following steps. If you are experiencing other issues in the IE 11 browser, this may be helpful to you as well.

We have identified some compatibility issues between Internet Explorer and Geocaching.com. We are working to address these, but in the meantime you can take some steps to ensure that you have the optimal view of our site through IE.

Go to your Tools menu.

Click "Compatibility View Settings" and insert geocaching.com under "Add this Website:".

Click "Add"

Click "Close".

Alternatively, you can access Geocaching.com through a different browser, such as Firefox or Chrome.

I have an etrex10 and despite having had it for 18mths, I'm still learning how to use it!

I have been able to download geocaches using the USB cable, but I tried the other day and it said its couldn't detect the 'plug in' ... so I tried to install it again, but it said i already had! ... but it won't work at all with the USB now! I used it 10 days ago and it took a while to 'notice' that the cable was plugged in, it then worked fine an d i downloaded lots, but ran out of time to put all the ones i wanted on ...

I have now had to add them individually by hand! very tedious.

I did wonder if it was my USB ports, but I've been able to use other USBs in them with no problem!

This happens annoyingly often on my eTrex 30 but never on either of my eTrex 20's. Plug your eTrex 10 into your computer using a known good cable. Allow a good couple of minutes for your computer to recognize the eTrex. If it doesn't, disconnect it. Now, while holding the thumbstick in an "up" position, plug it in again. This will "force" the computer into recognizing it as a mass storage device. I hope this helps!

Well many thanks for all your kind responses, when it arrives I will just have to try, re the downloading it is so simple when you know how, I have just looked at a couple of cache on the site that are very close to here and now found the "send to my Gps" tab, so big I could not see it doh. When we get going I will report back, for now many thanks.

Regards

Well many thanks for all your kind responses, when it arrives I will just have to try, re the downloading it is so simple when you know how, I have just looked at a couple of cache on the site that are very close to here and now found the "send to my Gps" tab, so big I could not see it doh. When we get going I will report back, for now many thanks.

Regards

With a new Garmin, you can get a FREE 30 day trial of Premium Membership.

http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx

WARNING.

IF you load ANY files as a Basic Member, DELETE them before adding any Premium Member files!