GSAK NAMES NOT CODES

lancs-sue

I have used GSAK a few times to upload pocket queries to my Garmin 62st. For some strange reason, the caches have loaded into my GPS with the codes rather than the names. I must have done something wrong but I prefer to be looking at the names, especially when the hint is in the title!

Geocache Settings

From the main menu, select

Setup

>

Geocaches

Geocache List

—allows you to

show the geocache list by names

or codes.

With GSAK we send in such a way that the gps shows the GC code without the GC, the first letter of the size and the name of the cache. So the Micro cache GCABC23 called Same Old Cache would appear as follows in the gps

ABC23 M Same Old Cache

If you then change the dashboard on the compass page to GEOCACHING, the above would appear at the top of your screen while looking for the cache. It is very helpful.

In order to accomplish that, we put the following code in the name field when sending to the gps.

%drop2 %con1 %name

PAul

BTW we are not GSAK experts but we use GSAK a lot and we got the code from a geocaching friend

Edited by Ma & Pa

test

Geocache Settings

From the main menu, select

Setup

>

Geocaches

Geocache List

—allows you to

show the geocache list by names

or codes.

With GSAK we send in such a way that the gps shows the GC code without the GC, the first letter of the size and the name of the cache. So the Micro cache GCABC23 called Same Old Cache would appear as follows in the gps

ABC23 M Same Old Cache

If you then change the dashboard on the compass page to GEOCACHING, the above would appear at the top of your screen while looking for the cache. It is very helpful.

In order to accomplish that, we put the following code in the name field when sending to the gps.

%drop2 %con1 %name

PAul

BTW we are not GSAK experts but we use GSAK a lot and we got the code from a geocaching friend

If your unit is showing caches by code it could be that the geocache function in the gpsr is setup to list them that way. From the setup menu, check to see how caches are listed.

I think the first reply also covered that. Since lancs-sue was mentioning GSAK, I indicated how to include the GC code plus the Name in the name field with GSAK.

I now wonder if lancs-sue was having trouble quickly accessing the cache details page on the 62. I solved this problem by adding GEOCACHING to the items that run across the screen when repeatedly pressing the Page button. Items can be added or deleted by going to SETUP and then PAGE SEQUENCE.

Edited by Ma & Pa

%drop2 %con1 %name

I use a very similar code

%drop2 %typ1%con1 %dif-%ter %smart

When you are on the trail it is a lot easier to look up additional information on your smartphone using the GC code.