Free app doesn't do trackables?

According to this Help Center article the free app does not support trackables...

So what happens when cachers using the free app find trackables? There's clearly nothing to stop them taking trackables - but no means, using the tools they have to hand, to log the fact.

And if the pro app is... a dinosaur - I think Jeremy said... and likely to be phased out - what then?

I realise this should probably be posted in the 'app' forum but there doesn't appear to be one as such - rather there appear to be three phone-type specific fora and I wanted to get views from as wide an audience as possible - without posting duplicate threads.

So what happens when cachers using the free app find trackables? There's clearly nothing to stop them taking trackables - but no means, using the tools they have to hand, to log the fact.

Using that logic, don't forget to fold GPS users into the brush you're painting with.

And if the pro app is... a dinosaur - I think Jeremy said... and likely to be phased out - what then?

Trackables will eventually be part of the Intro app.

I wanted to get views from as wide an audience as possible

You haven't made clear exactly what you want views on. Is this only about encouraging critique of the Intro app, or is there something else you'd like views on?

Using that logic, don't forget to fold GPS users into the brush you're painting with.

Good point - but I expect the vast majority of GPSr cachers are familiar with the site and with how to handle trackables and so are much less of a concern as far as I can tell.

Good news. I'll make sure I hold off buying / releasing any new trackables until that happens and I'd probably go so far as to advise others to do the same.

You haven't made clear exactly what you want views on. Is this only about encouraging critique of the Intro app, or is there something else you'd like views on?

I wasn't planning to be prescriptive on how the thread evolves.

The forum relies on discussion topics - I had one - I posted :)

GPS users generally use the website. (If they didn't, how would they get the coordinates for the caches?). So they can log the trackables.

The concern I think is app only users who don't use the website at all. If they can't see how to log a trackable, then there is more chance of it going missing.

If the intro app will support trackables in the future, that will fix it. It does seem odd that it doesn't support it today. If the intro app is designed for new users, I would think it should have a big, obvious button to log trackables - to help avoid them going missing (e.g. being accidently collected, as the finder doesn't know any better).

Does Groundspeak not encourage critiques of the Intro app? I thought they have stated that they do care what we think of it. I think this is an extremely valid point.

As pointed out, GPSr users are, by very definition, already familiar with the website. Intro app users typically are not. They get their cache pages and coordinates from the app, they log their finds from the app, and they contact other users from the app message center. I hope that dealing with trackables from the app is a top priority.

Since any finder of a TB would need to go to the webpage to find out the mission of said bug I am not sure if a button on the intro app would help. It would need to encourage the catcher go access the webpage.

With the pro app, the description and goal is easily accessible from the app. I would expect they would do something similar with the intro app.

Many Intro app users don't know what a Trackable is, much less what to do with it, because they just discovered the game/app. If the Intro App made it easier for teaching these new players about this aspect of the game, I'm sure fewer Trackables would be lost or sent opposite their stated goals.

Many Intro app users don't know what a Trackable is, much less what to do with it, because they just discovered the game/app.

A very good point :)

So many have disappeared in the field already that nice geocoins are rare in the wild - but there are still some out there and boy do they look like treasure :D

The engraving of the trackable number and any mention that these things are trackable on a website somewhere is often so tiny it's easily missed - heck it's often difficult to spot for those who know that there's something there to be seen...

Seems to me that sending people out to hunt 'hidden treasure' with a free app and no orientation whatsoever that there might be stuff in those caches that they cant just keep if they like has a fairly good chance of ending badly - at least for those that have parted with their hard-earned cash. Which is why I won't be buying or releasing any trackables of any sort for the forseeable.