Souvenir for an event on 2/29/16

Event? Really??? On a winter Monday?

I could get a cache on lunch break. That would make a good souvenir. But I don't drive at night, so I could not get to any of the events listed so far. Nearest is thirty-five miles away.

Poor idea that discriminates against the visually impaired and senior citizens.

Suggestion: Allow a cache find as an alternate. I could do that on lunch. Otherwise, I'm out of luck. Sad that TPTB come up with these discriminatory ideas.

Suggestion: Allow a cache find as an alternate. I could do that on lunch. Otherwise, I'm out of luck. Sad that TPTB come up with these discriminatory ideas.

There are two souvenirs available, one for attending an event on the 29th, and another for finding any cache over the weekend.

If you really want the event souvenir then organise one of your own....

I bet the Leap Weekend souvenir was added as a concession for those in a situation like yours.

Personally, I don't see why there needed to be two souvenirs. Finding a cache on February 27th or 28th has no connection to the leap day. Those days happen every year and have no particular meaning. There only needs to be one souvenir: for finding a cache or attending an event on the actual leap day. That's how it worked for Leap Day 2012 which fell on a Wednesday, and I don't see a reason for changing that. Heck, I can't even figure out why the announcement was made in secret to only Premium Members. These souvenirs don't seem any more special than the many dozens in the past that have been announced to everyone at the same time in the newsletter and blog.

So far, the only event that's been published in my area for that day is at 12:30 pm, which I (and most working folks) won't be able to attend. I'll organize my own in the evening if I have to, and I expect there'll be a lot of small events held for the same reason around the world.

But I don't drive at night... Nearest is thirty-five miles away.

...discriminates against the visually impaired and senior citizens.

Really? Did you want them to change it to a weekend in July?

Souvenirs discriminate??? I hope you were being sarcastic, because I am LMAO.

This is not a website feature suggestion or bug report, so I am moving the thread to the general discussions section.

I'll refrain from archiving the OP's highly regarded puzzle cache hides, which discriminate against stupid people, because the fact that I cannot solve them presents a conflict of interest. :anicute:

We never go to events that are created just for getting a souvenir.

Events are supposed to get together to share stories etc. on geocaching. Going to a parking lot for "an event" where the organizers are there for a half an hour (and that's just because of the guidelines, otherwise the duration would have been 15 minutes ) so everyone can drive by and claim a souvenir is an event according to the guidelines, but is it really?

But I guess if you must have all souvenirs that's the best solution, and if you can't drive you just organize your own drive by.

Luckily we only collect country souvenirs and have a lot of patience.

I could get a cache on lunch break. That would make a good souvenir. But I don't drive at night, so I could not get to any of the events listed so far. Nearest is thirty-five miles away.

Poor idea that discriminates against the visually impaired and senior citizens.

You could always organise your own lunchtime event? There is one here in the North West (UK) http://coord.info/GC69BXR - too far for me at lunchtime, so I will have to go to one of the evening events if I want the souvenir.. either that, or take my own advice.

Why has Groundspeak lately been pushing event attendance to get a Souvenir? Didn't both the New Years Eve and New Years Day souvenirs require attending an event, not just finding a cache?

No. Any cache find would have scored the 12/31 and 1/1 souvenirs. Slightly different, the Leap Day souvenir is earned by attending a 2/29 event whereas a separate souvenir is available for finding ANY cache over the weekend.

Yes...the Alaska souvenir discriminates against me because I can't make the trip out there.

And the 12/12/12 souvenir was certainly far too difficult to for all those people in northern Canada to obtain.

And how could they expect people in the middle of Montana to get all 31 of the 31 Days of August caches back in 2013?

They really should just give everyone every souvenir automatically.

Yes...the Alaska souvenir discriminates against me because I can't make the trip out there.

And the 12/12/12 souvenir was certainly far too difficult to for all those people in northern Canada to obtain.

And how could they expect people in the middle of Montana to get all 31 of the 31 Days of August caches back in 2013?

They really should just give everyone every souvenir automatically.

This would sure make sense to those entitled people out there.

While we're at it, all caches should be loggable as found. Don't even have to visit ground zero. As long as you know the gc number, log it.

Trackables, whether you've seen/touched in person or not, log it if you have its tracking number.

Those pesky multicaches, log find on the first stage and call it good. Oh wait, refer back to my statement above,, no need to go to the first stage.

Puzzle caches,, fahget about solving anything,,, log them all found.

Challenge caches, well we all know there are those who want to log them as found even though they haven't met the challenge.

Earthcaches, look up the info on the net, submit answers, log it found. No, no,, that might be too difficult. Forget all that work of looking up answers, just log it..

Let's see, what else? :rolleyes:

Honestly, i think HD is is messing with us. Doubt he would whine about this on porpoise. :lol:

Edited by Mudfrog

This would sure make sense to those entitled whiners out there.

While we're at it, all caches should be loggable as found. Don't even have to visit ground zero. As long as you know the gc number, log it.

Trackables, whether you've seen/touched in person or not, log it if you have its tracking number.

Those pesky multicaches, log find on the first stage and call it good. Oh wait, refer back to my statement above,, no need to go to the first stage.

Puzzle caches,, fahget about solving anything,,, log them all found.

Challenge caches, well we all know there are those who want to log them as found even though they haven't met the challenge.

Earthcaches, look up the info on the net, submit answers, log it found. No, no,, that might be too difficult. Forget all that work of looking up answers, just log it..

Let's see, what else? :rolleyes:

Too much trouble, let someone else log it all for you :ph34r:

This whole thing is totally ridiculous . In fact, over the past few weeks there has been a number of criticisms of what Groundspeak HQ has been doing or not doing, that you wonder why anyone even wants to work there.

Let's give them some credit and respect. Not everything they do, or don't do, is going to please everyone. If you don't like something they are organizing, then don't do it, or organize your own. If they don't make a change to the geocache program, then use something else like GSAK to obtain the results you like.

Keep in mind - THIS IS A GAME!

So funny, I've never gone out to earn a souvenir, I've almost never been aware a souvenir would be available for something. I just notice there's a new one on my list every once in a while. The one's I don't care for, I hide.

Once again...if you don't care about souvenirs, why do you even bother going to the trouble of hiding them?

You don't know or care what you have, but you do care enough to bother hiding them...from who, I have no earthly idea.

We never go to events that are created just for getting a souvenir.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I fully expect there to be several events scheduled for 2/29/2016 in my area specifically so people can get the souvenir. But most if not all of them will be normal events where people get together to share stories, etc. Around here, that part's as integral to an event as a container is to a cache. Scheduling an event on a specific day for a specific reason doesn't change that.

:antenna: Opportunity ... Yes, opportunity. A set of circumstances that make it possible to do something. Really.

It is your choice to do something. Which shall you choose?

I may or my not attend an event since that day marks my 8th Anniversary as in being married 32 years. Most likely I'll not attend.

Will it hurt my feelings not to acquire a souvenir? Nope.

Each day you make decisions to do something that brings a smile to yourself. Why complain about it?

You make your own choices not Groundspeak.

Good Luck on your Quest for Fulfillment. B)

It's only a game.

Wrong. It's a business with paying customers. When you pay for a service you're entitled to criticize (especially if there's no valid alternative).

Wrong. The website is a business with paying customers. Geocaching is a game supported by that web site. Souvenirs are a part of the game.

Wrong. The website is a business with paying customers. Geocaching is a game supported by that web site. Souvenirs are a part of the game.

Well, It's about souvenirs and thus website related. So, it's a business.

I would agree with on4bam, IMO the souvenirs were dreamed up to encourage people to keep playing, get more involved (so more likely to buy/renew PM), keep visiting the site (so more hits to their advertisers), so yes the Souvenirs are more part of the business side than the game side.

I would agree with on4bam, IMO the souvenirs were dreamed up to encourage people to keep playing, get more involved (so more likely to buy/renew PM), keep visiting the site (so more hits to their advertisers), so yes the Souvenirs are more part of the business side than the game side.

So if I pay for a Minnesota Vikings ticket, I have a right to have them win?

Nonsense. It's a game. It does not matter if you paid, it's still a game.

Maybe this logic would work with Powerball...

I'm struggling to see the logic there, but sticking with your analogy: If you buy a ticket for the Vikings game then you have a right to complain that the seats in the stadium are uncomfortable.

Although I've seen posts from lackeys in the past reference some of the souvenirs as "promotions" this latest announcement makes in clear that they're using souvenirs as a marketing tool. They're telling premium members that one of the benefits of being a premium member is that we get early notification of a new souvenir (with this thread, thought, that didn't last very long).

The thing about promotions and marketing is that it's typically for the benefit of the business and not necessarily for the benefit of it's customers.

Once again...if you don't care about souvenirs, why do you even bother going to the trouble of hiding them?

You don't know or care what you have, but you do care enough to bother hiding them...from who, I have no earthly idea.

Souvenirs are normally something that I choose to get in the course of a trip -- the mug I am using now for coffee came from a petroglyph location that also had a virtual. But what Groundspeak gives out is more of an unwanted gift that would not otherwise even make it into my drawer had someone left it on my car's windshield while I was there.

I could almost see the logic when they were primarily based on location - but a "souvenir" for caching on January 1, February 29? I did not cache the former and have no particular plans to cache the latter. I did find a cache on December 31 when taking an "end of the year" hike and decided that it was as good of a time as any to find a cache that was just off the trail. But I also immediately hid the souvenir. I would be just as glad if I could opt out but hiding is the only option.

From whom do I hide them? I have no idea. My daughter once asked me if people paid attention to the trackable icons on another person's cache page. I said that I hoped not. But I hide what stats I can and every souvenir that I notice -j ust because its nobody's business that I have completed a grid or found a cache on a particular day. If I could hide more or prevent third party sites from using my data, I would do that as well. Its not that I care about the souvenirs enough to hide them, I care about what is shown on my profile.

I bet the Leap Weekend souvenir was added as a concession for those in a situation like yours.

Personally, I don't see why there needed to be two souvenirs. Finding a cache on February 27th or 28th has no connection to the leap day. Those days happen every year and have no particular meaning. There only needs to be one souvenir: for finding a cache or attending an event on the actual leap day. That's how it worked for Leap Day 2012 which fell on a Wednesday, and I don't see a reason for changing that. Heck, I can't even figure out why the announcement made in secret to only Premium Members. These souvenirs don't seem any more special than the many dozens in the past that have been announced to everyone at the same time in the newsletter and blog.

So far, the only event that's been published in my area for that day is at 12:30 pm, which I (and most working folks) won't be able to attend. I'll organize my own in the evening if I have to, and I expect there'll be a lot of small events held for the same reason around the world.

Not to all of them (and yes, I did check my spam folder)

Heck, I can't even figure out why the announcement made in secret to only Premium Members. These souvenirs don't seem any more special than the many dozens in the past that have been announced to everyone at the same time in the newsletter and blog.

Not to all of them (and yes, I did check my spam folder)

Do you have your email preferences set to receive "Tips & Tricks

Send me occasional tips, tricks, geocaching videos and other emails."?

B.

I started work on a listing for a Leap Day event, just for fun, back in October. Remembered to submit it at the end of November. Now I see it qualifies for a Souvenir - well, I guess that's just a little plus.

Anyone know if there's a Pi Day one this year?

Do you have your email preferences set to receive "Tips & Tricks

Send me occasional tips, tricks, geocaching videos and other emails."?

B.

I get these, but may have lost one due to an email error - does Geocaching.com have anywhere you can find these on the site? I've looked around but the blog and news are mostly fluff and nothing covering these sort of announcements.

Edited by DragonsWest

Or as Juvenalis said:

"Iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli uendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses."

(Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses)

I'm not saying that geocaching should be some elitist and impenetrable to the 'riffraff', but a certain level of standard of quality would be fine.

IMO this whole souvenir and (to some extent) leap day circus is not gonna help.

I've seen this with the EC souvenir where people are doing really everything - and (forced to) forget what ECs are all about - to gain this in their profile. And as an EC CO, I got forced to handle a lot of crap when that souvenir was launched.

All these souvenir thing is nothing more than a worth- and meaningless gif, which is a cheap and classic application of the hooked (marketing) model. You're not going to be a better cacher if you have them, but it is just a method for a company to have/gain (advertisement) revenue.

And yes, I do have also have souvenirs, but look never at them nor let them determine my 'agenda'. An opt out option as cacher and CO would be a welcome. As an already paying - thus the company has revenue from me - customer, I should have the right.

Wrong. It's a business with paying customers. When you pay for a service you're entitled to criticize (especially if there's no valid alternative).

It is a game, for those who don't get caught up in all the hype.

Souvenirs are part of a business strategy. Groundspeak knows that people clamor for things like this. They're pixels on a screen that cost next to nothing, which makes them good for business. If for some reason they had ended up not being coveted by people, they could be taken away in a heartbeat with minimal cost or effort.

I'm struggling to see the logic there, but sticking with your analogy: If you buy a ticket for the Vikings game then you have a right to complain that the seats in the stadium are uncomfortable.

This would be like buying a Vikings ticket on free t-shirt day, and complaining that the place to get your free shirt is on the opposite side of the stadium from the gate that you came in.

This would be like buying a Vikings ticket on free t-shirt day, and complaining that the place to get your free shirt is on the opposite side of the stadium from the gate that you came in.

I probably would complain about that, especially if the free tee shirt offer induced me to attend. That said, I still couldn't care less about geocaching souvenirs (other than needing them for certain challenges).

I was told by a reviewer no less then 15 miles. But I found 3 leap day events within 10 miles of each other for the same time period.

But doesn't that refer to the minimum distance and not the maximum distance? You asked about how far and not how close two events can be to each other.

My caching experience of more than 13 years did not help me at all to understand your question in the way you apparently meant it before you wrote what I cited above.

Edited by cezanne

How far apart can two events be?

Well, I guess I'll let all you guys off the hook. jellis is annoyed with me because I questioned her Event submission, which I eventually Published after she provided some further explanation (isn't that what the Note to the Reviewer is for?). jellis is a great asset to me and the Community, sometimes letting me know when I've overlooked something on the initial Review of a Listing (usually private property issues that I can't necessarily see on the maps) and I love and respect her dearly for it, but she can be a stickler on the Guidelines at times. I thought it was odd that she submitted an Event that overlaps with a nearby one (~15 miles) without explanation, even though the Guidelines directly address this sort of issue.

On to the "happy ending" part; "j" responded back with an explanation that was pretty much aligned with my thinking on the subject, and the Event was Published (i.e. weekday Event when most people are on their way to work, quick stop to grab coffee and Attend, a unique Souvenir that has limited availability).

Just to summarize...it's very helpful when people use the Note to the Reviewer. It saves a great deal of time. If you suspect there might be an issue, put it in the Note. Otherwise, describing the hiding location, container, or a "thank you" is appreciated.

Well, I guess I'll let all you guys off the hook.

I'm much more curious about where the approximately 15 miles comes from which you apparently seem to use. I have never encountered that number in anything on event stacking, neither in the knowledge book nor in the guidelines. Is this a number which is chosen individually by each reviewer?

Edited by cezanne