Idle curiosity

PlantAKiss

I saw a mention today about souvenirs for Leap Day. I'm not really into the souvenir thing but do like to mark an "occasion" with a cache find sometimes. Why is a Leap Day souvenir being offered for 3 days? Why would finding a cache on the 27th and 28th be any different than any other day? The 29th is the "special day." And is there a different souvenir for attending an event AND finding a cache? Something was hinted.

Anyone have any special plans for Leap Day?

I thought the weekend thing was odd as well. Maybe because it's a Monday?

Sure. The find-a-cache souvenir can celebrate leap day without marking it, so it gets people that only go out on the weekend involved.

In my area, events don't cluster around weekends, so asking someone to attend an event on Monday is much more line with normal behavior. For hunting caches, weekends are much more popular.

Sure. The find-a-cache souvenir can celebrate leap day without marking it, so it gets people that only go out on the weekend involved.

In my area, events don't cluster around weekends, so asking someone to attend an event on Monday is much more line with normal behavior. For hunting caches, weekends are much more popular.

Our local group here in Atlanta has a regular monthly event the third Tuesday of every month...a dinner-time event at a local restaurant. For me, events are EASIER to attend on weekdays.

Yeah...they probably figured they'd receive MORE complaints if they only allowed it for Monday since people are usually working that day.

BINGO! People deserve this souvenir. :rolleyes: To keep the complaining down, GS has made it as easy as possible to get it. I'm actually surprised they didn't give us the whole month to get it. :lol:

Yeah...they probably figured they'd receive MORE complaints if they only allowed it for Monday since people are usually working that day.

BINGO! People deserve this souvenir. :rolleyes: To keep the complaining down, GS has made it as easy as possible to get it. I'm actually surprised they didn't give us the whole month to get it. :lol:

The participation trophies of geocaching.. everybody wins. :unsure:

Famous quote from Bob in the movie Incredibles..

They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity.

Probably why we'll most likely never see new challenges again.

Pandering means different things to different people -- if we're talking about catering to people who are afflicted with weekday work schedules to encourage them to greater levels of participation and be sure the minor gratification of receiving an award is open to a greater portion of the people... well, some people will think that's a bad thing and others will think it's a good thing.

So every "special occasion" that falls during a work week should get a spread of days so more people can get a souvenir for it? I'm not arguing. I've just never seen that before but then again I don't pay attention to it. Maybe it's been done lots of times. Personally I wouldn't count a Leap Day find for any other day than the 29th.

But THIS was what my other question was about (since apparently one person thought I was asking a question that I already knew the answer to...which would be rather stupid I'd say):

"(February 27-29) by getting outside and finding a geocache. (Hint: You’ll want to earn both of these…). "

The "HINT"...is that implying that there is something more than the two separate souvenirs for event attendance and a Leap Day Find? The wording seems to imply something.

I got an email that said there was a secret message in the event souvenir.

Leap Day's Secrets Revealed

Were you one of the more than 183,932 geocachers around the world to earn a Leap Day souvenir? If yes, way to go! And if no, well, you'll just have to wait another four years — no big deal!

For those of you who attended a geocaching event or CITO event on February 29, you should go back and take a second look at your Leap Day 2016 souvenir. If you furrow your brow and squint your eyes just right, you may pick up on a secret message encoded in morse code. (Hint: Visit the Geocaching Blog for the spoiler.)

Were you one of the more than 183,932 geocachers around the world to earn a Leap Day souvenir? If yes, way to go! And if no, well, you'll just have to wait another four years — no big deal!

For those of you who attended a geocaching event or CITO event on February 29, you should go back and take a second look at your Leap Day 2016 souvenir. If you furrow your brow and squint your eyes just right, you may pick up on a secret message encoded in morse code. (Hint: Visit the Geocaching Blog for the spoiler.)

OHHHH!! That must be what it was! Thank you for the info!

Ironically...my plan to go find some new caches in a new park on Leap Day went to hell in a handbag. Been planning that for weeks! But...5 days before Leap Day, after getting my oil changed, I made a fateful, spur of the moment decision to go for a couple of caches near the service center. Not only did I DNF a cache placed among debris, briars, blackberry thorns, brush and mud, but I slipped on wet grass and broke my ankle on the way back to car! ??. I was laying in the grass and mud in the rain...no one in sight. Had to call 911 to come find me. Total disaster.

I was determined to find a cache on Leap Day so I got a friend to drive me to a couple of LPCs. So I can at least say I found a cache on Leap Day! But no caching for me for a good while. I'm going NUTS imprisoned indoors!

Thanks for the info on the "surprise" for LD. Of course I didn't get to any events!! :-D

OHHHH!! That must be what it was! Thank you for the info!

Ironically...my plan to go find some new caches in a new park on Leap Day went to hell in a handbag. Been planning that for weeks! But...5 days before Leap Day, after getting my oil changed, I made a fateful, spur of the moment decision to go for a couple of caches near the service center. Not only did I DNF a cache placed among debris, briars, blackberry thorns, brush and mud, but I slipped on wet grass and broke my ankle on the way back to car! ??. I was laying in the grass and mud in the rain...no one in sight. Had to call 911 to come find me. Total disaster.

I was determined to find a cache on Leap Day so I got a friend to drive me to a couple of LPCs. So I can at least say I found a cache on Leap Day! But no caching for me for a good while. I'm going NUTS imprisoned indoors!

Thanks for the info on the "surprise" for LD. Of course I didn't get to any events!! :-D

Ouch! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.