A question about multi-stage caches

Philman

If I place something other than a container at a stage of a multi-stage geocache (for example, a key), is that stage physical or virtual?

A stage is only "virtual" if it makes use of something already existing on-site...landmarks, signs, etc. If you actually place any object, even just a sticker with numbers on it, it's a physical stage.

If I place something other than a container at a stage of a multi-stage geocache (for example, a key), is that stage physical or virtual?

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.17. Stages and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=72

Stages and Waypoints Updated May 2014

In May 2014, the geocache submission process was updated with a new look, feel and overall streamlining. Several key changes for stages and additional waypoints are:

Geocache stages are renamed:

Physical - You placed an item there, such as a container or a tag. This was formerly called "Stages of a Multicache". These locations must be 528 feet (161 meters) away from a physical stage of any other geocache.

Virtual - You did not place an item there. Examples: a park sign that has information needed to work out the coordinates for another stage or final container. This was formerly called "Question to Answer". These stages can be closer than 528 feet (161 meters) from another geocache.

Posted coordinates for Multi-caches, Mysteries, Letterbox Hybrid and Wherigo must be also be identified as either Physical or Virtual.

Parking, Reference Point and Trailhead are entered separately, on Additional Waypoints page.

B.

I always thought physical multi stages were supposed to be .1 mi apart but I've definitely seen stages quite close to the final. One final was only 80 feet away from the first stage. I was surprised. I wondered how that would have passed the review process.
Physical stages of a multi-cache have to be 0.1mi away from physical stages of OTHER CACHES.

Physical stages of the same multi-cache can be as close to each other as the owner wants. I've found multi-caches where I could touch the first stage with one hand while touching the final with the other hand.

For reference, see the cache saturation guidelines, which include an example with the caption: "This is acceptable because the stages of a single cache with multiple physical elements may be less than 528 feet (161 m) apart."