Geocaching Pants!

user13371

Dickies, maker of very practical work clothes, has unwittingly created the perfect pair of trousers for geocaching.

Their heavyweight "Workhorse" jeans have a misnamed "Cellphone Pocket." Really much larger than most cellphones; it's bigger than needed for my Magellan SporTrak Pro and would probably hold a Meridian.

Only thing I'm not sure of is if gadgets will stay put when running or climbing or any other activity where it might get bounces around. If they fail that test, I'll probably sew a button onto the pocket. Not to button it shut, but to attach the lanyard.

There was a company called "Global Positioning" (I think) that made pants called GPS Pants. Had a small pocket in the left hip for a gps or cell phone, flap w/velcro closure. Two front thigh pockets plus the four regular pockets. On the inside right there is a hidden pocket for a passport. They are made from heavy canvas and had elastic along the back waistband. I found them in the military BX but once found them online as well.

I use the new 2003 concept Jt paintball pants for my caching needs, plenty of pockets with velcro closures, padded knees and stretch fabric crotch, ballastic nylon that stick tites just dont cling to, drawstring closures at the ankles, adjustable side belts and very roomy! They work great!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...i am where I am suppose to be...I think?

My favorite setup is military. icon_wink.gif Blows the doors off regular hiking pants. Why? The "winter" pants are thicker than normal, reinforced knee and stick-tite (liked that! icon_smile.gif ) resistant. So, what's different? Aha! Gortex. icon_smile.gif Folded and squeezed down into a 1 gallon ziploc bag I've got the Gortex "all-weather" pants. Water? Soak yer knees, but not in these! icon_biggrin.gif Pulling them on is a breeze - unzip the zippers up to the knee and they'll pull on over any shoe configuration. Then draw tite the balloonistic waist band! icon_biggrin.gif But these could be pricey to obtain for non-military folk or at least those with no connections. In that case, I'd recommend looking up a military surplus. The all-weathers don't have pockets, but rather pocket access slits to reach your camos underneath. And the cargo pockets on the military gear are undisputedly bigger than my other hiking/cargo pockets, (plus they secure with dual buttons under the flap) and I've got my share!

I don't think I'd go on many caches wearing shorts, but there's a solution for that, too. Most of ya have seen the ripstop type cargo pants that "convert" to shorts by unzipping each leg just above the knee? Nice to have shorts on but add the "leggings" if you need them on a summer trail. icon_wink.gif

I think the right pants are critical to a weekend of dedicated geocaching. Despite my multiple "warnings" to my wife, she insisted she was "okay" in her cotton pants and of course she looked like a defensive cactus when I got done taking her into the rough, and it wasn't 'cause we were having our way rolling in the hay! icon_biggrin.gif She was complaining, and if yer a smart feller in this day and age you don't say "I told you so" more than once to yer wife during certain time periods. icon_biggrin.gif This was one of 'em. I since converted her to the next best thing going: SKATEBOARDING PANTS icon_biggrin.gif Sorry ya had to read my diatribe to get to it, but these are about as rugged and comfortable as you can get. I'm a much uncelebrated icon_wink.gif old-school boarder (WSP, anybody? icon_biggrin.gif ) and I can add that a good pair of skateboarding duds makes for excellent geocaching.

Not to diminish a good pair of hiking pants, as Brian said. He's right on... any good pair of hiking pants absolutely does the trick. They can be $$ and often a military surplus can yield big-time savings on used duds, with the exception of the relatively new Gortex gear.

Great thread topic!! icon_smile.gif

Grandmaster Cache

We all have to put our pants on one leg at a time no matter what type you wear. Personally, I like camouflage pants with large cargo pockets for all of the stuff that won't fit in my pack. Little J prefers good old-fashioned blue-jeans, but she prefers to carry a backpack.

In regards to all the back and forth going on in regards to skateboarding; lighten up you guys! This is a family oriented sport and we don't need to see the demonstrative anger on the threads.

"Edison Medicine": Anything that brightens your day is a good thing!

NCFLYERS - The Double J's of Fortuna, CA icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I find Rothco BDU pants great for geocaching. They have 6 utility pockets (2 button down back pockets, 2 front slash pockets and 2 cargo pockets), an adjustable waist tabs for a secure fit, button fly, drawstring bottoms. The most comfortable pants I own and great for geocaching!

Respectfully,

Seighin

13 years, 1 month, 17 days between the last 2 posts. I'm not sure the oldest zombie thread, but this is definitely in the running.

I find Rothco BDU pants great for geocaching. They have 6 utility pockets (2 button down back pockets, 2 front slash pockets and 2 cargo pockets), an adjustable waist tabs for a secure fit, button fly, drawstring bottoms. The most comfortable pants I own and great for geocaching!

Respectfully,

Seighin

I just started wearing 5.11's. These specific ones have the slash pockets, 2 back pockets, and 2 large cargo pickets, 2 smaller pockets to fit a handgun mag. But they are perfect for a pen, or knife/leatherman, without putting them in your back pocket and sitting on something hard and pointy.