MGRS to ?

articfox91

Growing up military then joining i learned to use the MGRS system and have never been shown any other system. Now that im starting to get into geo caching i looked through my gps and actually realized how many differnt units there are. Ive been looking at some of the posted caches, I know its longitude and latitude, i cant figure out which type. Ive tried the U.S. National grid and that wasnt it. Ive seen UTM but im not about to start messing with the user setting on it until i know more. Basically im asking if someone can teach me civilian maps and coordinate systems past what you tube and the internet has confused me with.

From the Glossary of Terms page:

WGS84

The most current geodetic datum used for GPS is the World Geodetic System of 1984 (WGS84). The significance of WGS84 comes about because GPS receivers rely on WGS84.

Geocaching uses the WGS84 datum by default. We also use the format HDDD MM.MM, which is a standard for GPS receivers (like the eTrex).

HDD means Hemisphere and degrees. MM.MM are minutes in decimal format. If you have any questions, you can either visit the forums or contact us directly.

It is critical that the format be correct, otherwise geocachers will be unable to find your cache!

Main Menu > Settings > Format. Set this to HDD(D)° MM.MMM setting.

It may not look quite the same on your unit (it could show something like DDD MM.mmm), but pay attention to the decimal point and character spaces. That is the key. This is decimal minutes, not seconds.

NOTE: the screen-shot shown on page 81 of your manual is EXACTLY what you want. Don't have the manual? Download it here .

Don't sweat the degree symbol (°), your unit knows what you mean without it.