Log Honor System - A couple questions from a Newby

BabaluDaMan

Hi,

Thanks in advance for the help. I just started Geocaching about 10 days ago and have a few questions. I want to do things correctly and ethical from the start. So here goes.

1. I went caching with my wife (she is a member here at Geocaching.com); When finding a cache does one of us log it or can both of us log it as a find and sign the log sheet? (we rotated that day 1 for her than 1 for me).

2. Is the signing of logs and subsequent logging of the find on this site done on the honor system? Or does the cache hider verify the names on the log sheet somehow.

3. I've noticed on some of the few log sheets that I have seen that peoples signatures/names/dates are illegible. Is this a big deal?

4. If you find a cache and there is no log sheet or the log sheet is unable to be written on (wet/damaged/etc.) can you still log it as a find?

Thanks and enjoy the spring,

BabaluDaMan

There is a lot of leeway in this game. People play it in different ways.

1. I went caching with my wife (she is a member here at Geocaching.com); When finding a cache does one of us log it or can both of us log it as a find and sign the log sheet? (we rotated that day 1 for her than 1 for me).

Most people both log it, I think. My husband and I both cache under the one handle, so it's a moot point for us. But if he finds the cache before I do (giving away the location), I still log it. If we had two accounts, we'd log them for both of us, regardless of who did the actual 'first spot'.

You can also do the method where one person finds it, but doesn't let on. Move away from the area and after a little while, let your partner know you already found it. Then they can find it on their own, and you both can sign it as being found by both of you, separately.

2. Is the signing of logs and subsequent logging of the find on this site done on the honor system? Or does the cache hider verify the names on the log sheet somehow.

I think it's mostly honor system. I have hidden 3 caches. Unless there's a reason for me to audit the paper log (if someone has logged 100 finds in 2 hemispheres on a single day, or something else suspicious), I don't bother. But some people DO audit the logs. The game is played to sign the log (some people don't consider a cache found unless the log is signed); online logging is a bit more secondary.

3. I've noticed on some of the few log sheets that I have seen that peoples signatures/names/dates are illegible. Is this a big deal?

It'd be nice if they were legible. But if the CO (cache owner) doesn't audit the paper log, it's not a big deal. Logs also get wet, so some of the signature ink can run.

4. If you find a cache and there is no log sheet or the log sheet is unable to be written on (wet/damaged/etc.) can you still log it as a find?

Some do, some don't. We do. I snap a picture of the log (if there is one) as proof I was there, and upload it with my online log. If there's no log and if I have paper along, I'll sign my own paper and stick it in the cache, logging my find and a Needs Maintenance log.

Hope this helps!

1. You can absolutely both log the find. Do you guys have a joint account or each have your own accounts? Each member can log their find individually. Some folks prefer to keep a joint account and log all finds as a team. Up to you

2. The cache owner can verify the find by checking the signed log in the field, but most CO's will only check logs if there is reason to think that there is a problem. Most of the time it's the honor system. I've only once had to go check the paper log, when I had a found log from someone who created an account and on the same day logged finds on several continents and several US states. Sure enough it was a bogus log, so I deleted it. But other than an obvious fake log like that, no, most logs aren't going to be scrutinized that closely.

3. I've seen quite a few illegible logs. Again, unless the CO has reason to doubt the find, they're not likely to make an issue of it

4. If you found what you are absolutely certain is the cache container, but the log is missing, soaked, etc., personally I wouldn't have a problem logging the find. You did find it, it's not your fault the logbook is gone. In that case you should also log a Needs Maintenance to let the owner know their cache needs attention. If you want to be nice about it, many cachers carry spare log sheets with them and replace missing or destroyed log sheets. Most CO's appreciate the help. Up to you, though, you're under no obligation to replace log sheets, that's the owner's responsibility.

I prefer to play huckle buckle beanstalk style, where everyone gets a chance to spot the cache on their own. But when I'm with a group that plays three musketeers style, where the first person to spot the cache declares victory for everyone, I still log the find.

I have read of people playing "sudden death" style, where only the one person to spot the cache first gets to log it online, but I've never encountered them in real life, and it doesn't seem to be a very common approach.

In my experience, it's mostly on the honor system. I'll check the physical logs if something seems questionable about the online logs, but I don't make a habit of checking them. As far as I can see, few cache owners check the physical logs on a regular basis.

Well, it does indicate a problem with the waterproof seal of the container. But I doubt that many cache owners try to verify old illegible signatures on soggy physical logs.

I've always been able to sign something. I carry an assortment of pens (Sharpie, Fisher Space Pen, gel pen), and one of them has always been able to write my name, even on soaked soggy logs. I also carry extra log sheets, which help when the existing log(s) are full or in tatters.

I'm on the same boat as everyone else. As for verification- it's mostly honor system. I don't check the log against what's been logged online, unless there's a problem. Though I have done it if I happen to notice it by chance, or the person who admitted they only saw the cache, never mind getting their name in it. If someone really wants to cheat, they'll get someone else to sign it for them, so it won't really matter. There really no perfect way, so we do it they did for the first geocache.

What I HAVE found, oddly enough, when auditing paper logs is that I'll sometimes find the opposite...signatures on the paper log and no corresponding log online.
Yeah, that happens a lot when I take newbies on geocaching trips. Many of them want to sign the log, even though they don't have a geocaching.com account and don't intend to get a geocaching.com account.

Although a friend who has been on several of those newbie geocaching trips with me did recently create a geocaching.com account. I helped him backlog the caches I knew he had helped find, but his new geocaching handle wasn't on any of the logs, because he hadn't created it yet.