Photo guidelines

Swopeti123

Not sure what you mean. You carry a phone, but not a pen, or three? By the guidelines, you find the cache, SIGN the log, and log it on-line. Photo-logs are not approved by the guidelines, although SOME cache owners will allow that as proof of a find, but you should ask their permission before claiming a find. On the photo, don't show how/where the cache is hidden. If the a photo of the container will give away the hide, don't photo it either.

In general, photos are not considered a substitute for signing the logbook/sheet, as previously stated. Aside from that, I believe most cache owners appreciate folks including photos with their Log Entries. The general consensus seems to be that photos of cache containers/hiding spots (aka spoilers), are considered "bad form", and may provoke some cache owners to delete your Log Entry (currently the only way to remove the "offensive" photos, I'm afraid).

Other than that, and keeping within the spirit of the Terms of Use, snap away and have fun!

Welcome!

You should always carry pens while caching. Taking a photo of the container is not a substitute for signing the log. A cache owner has the right to delete any finds where the log was not signed.

Now, having said that, there have been a couple of times when I couldn't get a container open because it was rusted shut, etc., and maybe even once or twice when I legitimately did forget my pen. In those cases I have taken a picture of the cache in hand, but not posted the picture. I'll claim the find but state in my log that I couldn't get the container open or whatever, and let the CO know that I can provide a photo as proof, if requested. I've never been asked to provide the photo.

But yeah, get in the habit of carrying some kind of writing utensil whenever you are going caching. You stated that "sometimes the pens disappear" but not every cache had a pen to begin with....micros and nanos certainly won't have one.

Edited by Chief301

Holy cow, folks. Quit beating up on him for not having a pen! It happens! Get over it. There are many times when a pen doesn't or can't write, or I forgot it in the car, or dropped it along the way.

Don't sweat it. If you can't sign it for whatever reason, just write that and offer photo proof of the log sheet and/or cache container. Don't post a spoiler image.

Holy cow, folks. Quit beating up on him for not having a pen! It happens! Get over it. There are many times when a pen doesn't or can't write, or I forgot it in the car, or dropped it along the way.

Don't sweat it. If you can't sign it for whatever reason, just write that and offer photo proof of the log sheet and/or cache container. Don't post a spoiler image.

We're not beating up on him....OP made the statement that "sometimes the pens disappear" from the cache. We're just educating him to the fact that although some CO's do include a pen in the cache, one shouldn't go out expecting all caches will contain a pen....it's incumbent upon the well-prepared cacher to bring his own.

Recently I've been buying pencils at the dollar store (12 for $1), then cut them into 3 little sharpened pencils (comes out to 3 cents per pencil stub). I leave them in caches that don't have one. I especially like leaving them in micro caches where the CO says "too small for a pencil, byo".

ac42fd9a-c5e6-4592-9553-ba3e19960aef.jpg

well i am all stocked up on pens now and some nice fine point sharpies. I seem to always start the hike with one my problem was losing the one i left with. I appreciate the feedback and am learning to carry a few so i can sign away. I could always dab some blood from the fine texas thorn maze :) i seem to go through on so many but the legs wound are more badges of honor and memories for a while as they heal.

In general, photos are not considered a substitute for signing the logbook/sheet, as previously stated. Aside from that, I believe most cache owners appreciate folks including photos with their Log Entries. The general consensus seems to be that photos of cache containers/hiding spots (aka spoilers), are considered "bad form", and may provoke some cache owners to delete your Log Entry (currently the only way to remove the "offensive" photos, I'm afraid).

Other than that, and keeping within the spirit of the Terms of Use, snap away and have fun!

Welcome!

Actually, you can indeed delete a photo from a log without deleting the log, so long as you're the cache owner. I've done this a few times more to spoiler photos posted in logs by other cachers. It will ask you if you're sure you'd like to delete the photo and then prompt you for a reason as to why it's being deleted. An excellent site feature if I do say so myself.