Another geocaching newbie

Bammc107

Hi. I am brand new to geo-caching. I live in southeastern Massachusetts and there are PLENTY of sites in my area. My question(s) are simple. I don't have a GPS device, I am using my phone, a Sumsung Galaxy III. The geo caching app I have is c:geo. I went to one nearby site but I didn't even start it because I couldn't get any type of gps/compass activity on my phone. Maybe I did something wrong. I thought satellites should pick up your location and guide you to the right area.

Thanks for your assistance!

Make sure your GPS functionality is turned on. :)
I always forget to do that lol :anicute::laughing:
Yeah, and when my phone's battery gets extremely low, it helpfully goes into power-saving mode, which (among other things) shuts off the GPS antenna. Unfortunately, charging the battery doesn't turn on the GPS antenna again; I have to remember to do that by hand.

That happened a couple days ago, and it took me a while to figure out why my reported location was jumping all over the place while I stood still, and then staying put while I walked a few hundred feet.

Hello Original Poster! Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing on my first cache hunt. My excuse was that most apps that work better with the gps turned on, usually ask if you want to turn it on before you continue. I have almost the same phone. We still had a good laugh and I have found a few more since then. And, I have moved on to a GPSr because of battery and reception problems with the phone. (I am a sucker for gadgets.) Have fun.