New Garmin Oregon (WebUpdater) software

Click here for the 550/550t.

Click here for the 300/400.

* Added ability to view elevation plot of upcoming active route or currently navigated track in blue.

* Added display of icons to the lists in Where To? > Waypoints and the Geocaching application.

* Added phone numbers when available to POI review pages.

* Added Compass, Stopwatch, Active Geocache, and Elevation Plot dashboard options.

* Introduced dashboard options to the Compass and Map pages.

* Improved track navigation. Visit http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/ for more information.

--Larry

I've been trying to update but keep getting a corrupt file error. Any suggestions? If it matters, encountering issue on both 32 and 64 bit Win7.

I'm getting the same error. I emailed Garmin, waiting for a response...

I was just about to do the same after trying on a WinXP machine and receiving the same error. Thanks for noting here :-)

I am running Mac OSX 10.6.2

I used WebUpdater for the Mac and I was able to update from 3.42 beta to 3.50.

However, in the process I lost all of the custom settings I made to my Oregon 300. I have since reinstalled my custom settings.

EDIT: Correction, I did not lose my custom profile settings. After the firmware update, the 300 reverted to the Garmin Recreational profile. I simply changed from the default Recreational setting to my custom profile setting.

EDIT#2: The magenta "goto" line no longer appears.

Suggestion: This is a faulty firmware update, do not upgrade to version 3.50!

Question: How does Garmin test their firmware updates? Answer: By using the Groundspeak forum!

Edited by Barrikady

However, in the process I lost all of the custom settings I made to my Oregon 300. I have since reinstalled my custom settings.

My suggestion: Hold off on the update until Garmin fixes the glitch

FWIW, none of my custom settings (at least that I can tell) were affected when I updated my 550t using WebUpdater for Windows.

Of course, this is a different file than used for the 300, so YMMV.

--Larry

Question for larryc43230 and eaparks: What was firmware version from which you upgraded?

I updated from the latest Beta version of the firmware (sorry, don't remember the version number, but it was the last one issued before this non-beta release).

--Larry

software v3.42b. see my edited post, also.

I just checked on the Oregon Wiki site: That beta version I updated from (550t here) was v2.81b.

The custom maps settings on my 550t didn't change in my Profiles because of the update. My Geocaching profile has one custom map active, and my Automotive profile has no custom maps active, and that didn't change.

Again, these are two different files we're talking about here, one for the 300/400 and a different one for the 550/550t. This might account for the different results.

--Larry

My suggestion: Hold off on the update until Garmin fixes the glitch

I think the problem may occur with devices that are being upgraded from a beta release. Question for larryc43230 and eaparks: What was firmware version from which you upgraded?

I too updated from beta 3.42 (via updater) and noticed the magenta GoTo line went missing! Tried navigating to a geocache and no line! WOW. Bad.

I went back to 3.42 beta. I also noticed the custom settings went back to default but didn't pay attention to whether it was going to 3.50 or back to 3.42.....

Custom settings and purple navigation all OK on my oregon 300 under 3.5. I also came from 3.42.

What maps are you using when the line vanishes?

Oregon 400t - so it's the factory loaded topo. In addition I have Jon Standley's NW Trails mapset and one custom image....all enabled

Custom settings and purple navigation all OK on my oregon 300 under 3.5. I also came from 3.42.

What maps are you using when the line vanishes?

No Magenta "Go To" line here either on 400t. Using CN NT v2010.1, all other maps are disabled.

I'm suddenly glad I keep getting the corrupt file error...

I updated my 400t from v3.4 to the 3.42 beta, but still just corrupt file error for me.

Hmm. This one might be tricky to figure out.

Tried with various maps, including CN NT 2010.30 and I see the line going to the geocache.

Got a good satellite fix?

Yes, good sat. fix.....The distance to destination acted as expected...dropping as I got closer...just no line. Weird. Wonder if I should try loading 3.5 again...back at 3.42 for the moment

Hmm. This one might be tricky to figure out.

Tried with various maps, including CN NT 2010.30 and I see the line going to the geocache.

Got a good satellite fix?

Do have a good sat. fix. Directional error shows properly but no Magenta line. The "Lock on Road" was changed from "yes" to "no" with the upgrade but still no Magenta line when switched back to "Yes" Lock on Road with CN NT.

I actually have the 400t base topo 2008 on my 300, so we can prob discount that map difference as the culprit. Have to see if any other 300 owner has the line.

I have the 300. Installed quickly, no magenta line. Tried to re-install, same thing. Downgraded to 3.42beta but lost all user data (waypoints/tracks/routes) in the process. Having to change a few settings (battery type/map view) back to where they were.

Very strange, after switching to all my different profiles and playing around with dashboard settings and various other settings (to many to recall all) the magenta "Go to" line is now appearing in topos, Custom Garmin Maps, US Inland Lakes, free maps, etc. (wasn't before) still not appearing in CN NT 2010.10. I did not change any settings that should have had an effect.

After more testing: turned unit off and did not change any settings in GPS and upon immediately turning unit back on magenta line no longer appears in any maps I listed above. Upon further testing: turned Marine Profile on with US Marine Detail g2i map and magenta line reappears in all maps except for CN NT 2010.10. Turn unit off and back on and magenta line no longer appears until g2i map is turned on and then disabled. Appears problem is associated with the rendering of the basemap. I've seen big map drawing problems in the past in the satellite imagery basemap of the US Marine Detail g2i (Bluecharts) that effects other maps even when the Bluecharts are disabled.

Edited by eaparks

I too updated from beta 3.42 (via updater) and noticed the magenta GoTo line went missing! Tried navigating to a geocache and no line! WOW. Bad.

The magenta Go To line still shows after the update on my 550t, FWIW.

--Larry

Magenta Go To line is gone on my 550 after the update. All else appears fine but no line to follow. I will have to find the instructions on how to downgrade back to my previous firmware.

I've been trying to update but keep getting a corrupt file error. Any suggestions? If it matters, encountering issue on both 32 and 64 bit Win7.

I was just about to do the same after trying on a WinXP machine and receiving the same error. Thanks for noting here :-)

This is probably happening because your unit is not in mass storage mode when connected to your computer.

As for the magenta goto line issue my 550t and DK 20 came up w/o any issue. My 400t did not work however I was able to get it to work.

On my 400t I had the default topo maps and the US TrailMaps Whitewater maps enabled (I had many maps disabled). When I disabled the Whitewater maps the goto line started working. Reenabling these maps didn't seem to cause the problem to happen again so it sounds like some sort of initialization problem. But if you are seeing the issue I would play around with the maps you have enabled to see if you can get it to work.

This is probably happening because your unit is not in mass storage mode when connected to your computer.

As for the magenta goto line issue my 550t and DK 20 came up w/o any issue. My 400t did not work however I was able to get it to work.

On my 400t I had the default topo maps and the US TrailMaps Whitewater maps enabled (I had many maps disabled). When I disabled the Whitewater maps the goto line started working. Reenabling these maps didn't seem to cause the problem to happen again so it sounds like some sort of initialization problem. But if you are seeing the issue I would play around with the maps you have enabled to see if you can get it to work.

I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that it shouldn't be in mass storage mode (when connected to USB and not in mass storage, it correctly identified my unit and reported updates, so figured that was correct way :P ) I did update to 3.5, just bypassed WebUpdater.

On my 400t, updating from 3.42, lost the go to line also.

I can reproduce the goto line issue with the US TrailMaps Whitewater maps. If this map is enabled in the profile that is active when I boot the GPS athe magenta line won't appear. Disabling this map set fixes the problem. If I reenable the map it still works until I reboot.

You could also see varying behavior depending on the maps you have enabled in the profile you have loaded when you boot (it'll be the active profile when you shut the unit off).

I don't believe that this is a Whitewater maps issue, but probably has more to do with the type of map this is: whitewater maps is basically a bunch of POIs and GPI routes, maybe it has a transparent map that is causing the issue?

I can reproduce the goto line issue with the US TrailMaps Whitewater maps. If this map is enabled in the profile that is active when I boot the GPS athe magenta line won't appear. Disabling this map set fixes the problem. If I reenable the map it still works until I reboot.

I'm seeing similiar type problem but in reverse scenario. GoTo line appears in various maps only when I enable Blue Charts. Disable Blue Charts - shut unit off - turn back on - no goto line until blue charts enabled again, doesn't matter if I disable blue charts, I still see goto line as long as I don't turn unit off. In no scenario, what so ever, do I see goto line in CN NT when auto-routing, but do see it when routing "Off Road", but again only when Blue Charts are enabled and then disabled.

I'm seeing similiar type problem but in reverse scenario. GoTo line appears in various maps only when I enable Blue Charts. Disable Blue Charts - shut unit off - turn back on - no goto line until blue charts enabled again, doesn't matter if I disable blue charts, I still see goto line as long as I don't turn unit off. In no scenario, what so ever, do I see goto line in CN NT when auto-routing, but do see it when routing "Off Road", but again only when Blue Charts are enabled and then disabled.

You shouldn't see the goto line in auto routing on CN, but you should see the upxoming road route in magenta. It will switch to a magenta line when going "off road" routing under CN.

Changing this post because I finally got my rollback to work and don't need help anymore.

Back to 2.7 now and all is working well. I won't upgrade again unless I see nothing but positive posts from people who have to show the new version actually works correctly.

Edited by jackrock

You could also see varying behavior depending on the maps you have enabled in the profile you have loaded when you boot (it'll be the active profile when you shut the unit off).

I don't believe that this is a Whitewater maps issue, but probably has more to do with the type of map this is: whitewater maps is basically a bunch of POIs and GPI routes, maybe it has a transparent map that is causing the issue?

I got similar results - after seeing g-o-cachers steps I repeated them on my unit which is loaded with NW Trails (a transparent trails mapset that overlays topo very nicely). Initially turning on the unit resulted in no magenta line. So I went in and disabled the NW Trails map and suddenly the magenta line appears! Great! Still there after enabling again. Rebooted unit and loss of line again.

If I disable NW Trails map, then reboot the unit will display the magenta line right off the bat. So it appears to be related to certain mapsets in the enabled mode during boot up that results in no magenta line.

Sure hope the Garmin folks are following this and looking into it!

Upgraded my Oregon 550 from 2.81 beta to 3.0 via Webupdater.

Was working fine with 2.81 beta - still working fine with 3.0!

Magenta line appears as always.

Only problem to date has been with 2.71 beta when the unit wouldn't recognise the maps, displaying only the basemap. I am in Australia running Garmin Aus Topo V2.

The issue seems to be caused by transparent maps. If you have them you can disable them, Garmin is aware of the issue and is looking into it.

-Scott

There have been increasing problems with transparent maps. They were drawing over tracklogs on the last revisions and they don't work in Basecamp.

I'm starting to worry that they are going to start making it impossible to use them.

Unfortunately "transparent" (overlay is the correct term really) maps are not an official Garmin type of map and just something that Stan at cGPSMapper figured out.

The issue seems to be caused by transparent maps. If you have them you can disable them, Garmin is aware of the issue and is looking into it.

-Scott

Is Garmin really going to support transparent third party maps?

FWIW:Using software 3.5, I have CNNANT on my OR300 along with a transparent topo of Calgary and Banff, AB, CA. When I route from where I am on the east coast of the US to Calgary, the magenta line is visible as long as the topo is off screen. As soon as I pan so the topo shows up on screen the magenta line disappears.

There have been increasing problems with transparent maps. They were drawing over tracklogs on the last revisions and they don't work in Basecamp.

I'm starting to worry that they are going to start making it impossible to use them.

Unfortunately "transparent" (overlay is the correct term really) maps are not an official Garmin type of map and just something that Stan at cGPSMapper figured out.

This would be an unfortunate development to say the least. The value of "transparent" maps has been proven time and again to be a very worthwhile development. For me at this juncture I'll stick with software version 3.42. If indeed Garmin is going to drop support for transparent maps, 3.42 will be the last upgrade I work with on my Oregon.

I reverted back to v3.42b (400t) and all is well again.

yogazoo, I feel the same as you. The ability to use my own custom transparent maps is Very High on my priority list and one of the main reasons for me and all my friends staying with Garmin handhelds. Maybe since Garmin just recently made it possible to make our own "Garmin Custom Maps" which utilize transparency they see the need for a user to make their own custom maps and won't sabotage our ability to continue to make our own third party transparent custom maps.

Edited by eaparks

-Scott

Red 90, could you elaborate about the ways transparent overlays don't work in Basecamp? I've just made a 3x5 degree semi-transparent topo in Basecamp that I can zoom and pan, but it's been crashing a lot.

Edited by seldom_sn