Geocaching for Iphone 5.1.1 Release Notes

nkroy

Geocaching v5.1.1 Bug Fixes:

・ Event Cache logging options now display correctly

・ Sending a geocaching log containing a photo is now consistently successful

・ Stopped app from crashing on the settings screen

Not sure what you mean by this.

I tried posting a note on one of my archived caches with today's date mid morning here (NZ) and it was still logged as the previous day (=American time).

I was using my iPod touch with latest iOS and latest GC app loaded.

At least with this one it does seem to open properly where as I gave up using the older version because of it's aversion to opening.

Not sure what you mean by this.

I tried posting a note on one of my archived caches with today's date mid morning here (NZ) and it was still logged as the previous day (=American time).

I was using my iPod touch with latest iOS and latest GC app loaded.

At least with this one it does seem to open properly where as I gave up using the older version because of it's aversion to opening.

It means that you can now say "Will attend", etc, whereas with 5.1 you only got the usual "Found it" type choices.

KiwiNomad is correct. All logs are still showing the wrong time when submitted from this part of the world (New Zealand).

I've just created two test logs from here.

1. Field Note. Created at 2013-03-12 16:51 UTC+13. Shows in Field Notes on website as 12 March 2013 08:51:04 - somewhere a whole 8 hours got lost. This method at least gets the day correct, but the field note timestamp on the website is out by eight hours. Hence early morning logs will get posted to the incorrect day. I've now published this log as well. http://coord.info/GLADC9VR

2. Found Log. Created a few minutes later. Shows as 2013-03-11 on the website - a whole DAY out, it should be logging as 2013-03-12. http://coord.info/GLADC9JB

My account settings on the website are: Time Zone: New Zealand : Auckland, Wellington and Show Daylight Savings Time

The iPhone application + website combination are still showing this timezone bug, which has been reported many times in the past, and continues to remain unfixed. This is very frustrating for Australian and New Zealand users of the application. Please fix it.

I also use CacheSense on Android, and it log as found, and creates fieldnotes with correct dates and times, so it is definitely the iPhone (and apparently Android) versions of the app where the issue lies.

Edited by rediguana

KiwiNomad is correct. All logs are still showing the wrong time when submitted from this part of the world (New Zealand).

I've just created two test logs from here.

1. Field Note. Created at 2013-03-12 16:51 UTC+13. Shows in Field Notes on website as 12 March 2013 08:51:04 - somewhere a whole 8 hours got lost. This method at least gets the day correct, but the field note timestamp on the website is out by eight hours. Hence early morning logs will get posted to the incorrect day. I've now published this log as well. http://coord.info/GLADC9VR

2. Found Log. Created a few minutes later. Shows as 2013-03-11 on the website - a whole DAY out, it should be logging as 2013-03-12. http://coord.info/GLADC9JB

My account settings on the website are: Time Zone: New Zealand : Auckland, Wellington and Show Daylight Savings Time

The iPhone application + website combination are still showing this timezone bug, which has been reported many times in the past, and continues to remain unfixed. This is very frustrating for Australian and New Zealand users of the application. Please fix it.

Both iphones AND Androids do this, we then have to log into GC.COM to alter the dates on a PC, which kinda defies the point of using the phone in the first place.

I use a rival app for my iPhone 5 and will continue to do so until Groundspeak correct this time issue.

The app I use creates Field Notes with the local time so there is never an issue with logs appearing as "yesterday" or "tomorrow" or whatever.

I will consider using Geocaching app if those of us that live in the future are treated fairly by Groundspeak.

Apty, from South Australia.

I echo the comments by the previous commenters. I moved from Canada to New Zealand about 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed that every cache I've logged on my iPhone since then - both before the 5.1.1 release, as well as after - have this date issue. I've also changed my location and time zone details on my GC.com profile and had no improvement.

The app either needs to utilize the time zone setting specified in a user's GC.com profile, needs a setting within the app to set the time zone, or needs to refer to the local time zone in the area where a cache is hidden. Thanks for continuing to work to improve the app.

This is a fairly i portant issue for those of us who want their logs to show the correct date and time. It is also of value to a cache owner trying to establish which cacher last visited a cache in orderr to check details such as who has a travel bug.

If this can be corected it would mean so much to us here in NZ and Oz.

Chris

As a software developer myself, I cannot believe this bug has existed for so long, it is a standard part of iOS to provide functions that give the localised time (that's localised, not localized for those that don't live in the US). I appreciate that in the past Aus and NZ geocaching communities were relatively small, but that is changing very rapidly and issues like this really impose on the games growth on the other side of the IDL.

As I understand it, the timezone problem isn't limited to the iPhone app. It's the API and the database that can't handle timezones properly, and all the official apps are affected. If there are some third-party apps that do handle timezones, they're probably using some workaround to fudge it.

I just logged twenty caches through this app on my iPad and then when I got home had to edit them all to get the correct date. I won't be using this app again to log caches.

Time issues aren't just associated with this app though. I found a cache at 12:15 am the other night and had to wait until 1am before the Geocaching.com website would allow me to make the find.

How hard is it to add 'select date' functionality for the app? It is a real pain not being able to record the correct date. It has been a problem for years and posted about for years. Not doubt a lackey will arrive on this thread sooner or later (if past form continues) and ask your where you're from, your version, your settings, ask you to try logging at different times, ask you your mothers favourite ice cream flavour, suggest you change your log dates on gc.com(!) and then quietly disappear......NONE OF IT WORKS AND IT HAS BEEN MORE THAN THREE YEARS, FIX IT PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

When I leave the geocaching app to use another app (such as the camera to take a photo of the cache container or use the phone to phone-a-friend), when I return to the geocaching app, it starts over at the opening screen. It used to return to the same spot in the app that I was previously at (the cache page, the map, the hint, etc.). This is very frustrating as it takes several button pushes to get back to the cache that I was searching for (wasting critical battery life). Any ideas on a fix for this?

When I leave the geocaching app to use another app (such as the camera to take a photo of the cache container or use the phone to phone-a-friend), when I return to the geocaching app, it starts over at the opening screen. It used to return to the same spot in the app that I was previously at (the cache page, the map, the hint, etc.). This is very frustrating as it takes several button pushes to get back to the cache that I was searching for (wasting critical battery life). Any ideas on a fix for this?

To add a little more information... I now realize this problem of restarting only applies if I was on the "Navigate to Geocache" screen when I switch to a different app. If I am on any other page (search, a cache's "Description", a cache's "Recent Logs", etc), then when I switch to a different app and return to the Geocaching app, the Geocaching app returns to the location I was previously at. It's only if I'm at the "Navigate to Geocache" screen (the map, compass, etc) of a cache that when I leave the app and return does the app start over. The obvious workaround is to come out of the map page and return to the cache's main page before switching to a different app. I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm using the latest version of the Geocaching app on an iPhone 4S using iOS 5.1.1.