high altitude balloon project from North Texas

animaltx

Hello from Texas,

We are hoping to gather some assistance from the geocaching community.

We recently launched a high altitude balloon project from North Texas. The flight went well however, the balloon travel went much farther than planned. The balloon has a payload of 2 cameras, GPS. Are hopes are to gather high altitude pictures, and a pictures of the curvature of the earth.

We have gps coordinates and are offering a reward for finding the payload.

Before posting any more details, we would like permission from either the Admins or Mods to post in this section.

Kind Regards,

David

Hello from Texas,

We are hoping to gather some assistance from the geocaching community.

We recently launched a high altitude balloon project from North Texas. The flight went well however, the balloon travel went much farther than planned. The balloon has a payload of 2 cameras, GPS. Are hopes are to gather high altitude pictures, and a pictures of the curvature of the earth.

We have gps coordinates and are offering a reward for finding the payload.

Before posting any more details, we would like permission from either the Admins or Mods to post in this section.

Kind Regards,

David

How far out of the way did it go? *Ponders driving to get it* Send me a PM if you'd rather.

Maybe just give a basic set of points around here, I'm sure a FTF hound will go for it.

Well the original post has been up for several hours now. I'd take that as OK from the site admins.

There was severe weather near TX and east the past two days. Did this balloon get carried by the stormfront? Why not just post coords for where this landed, or may have landed, and see if anyone can retrieve it for you?

If you wait too long, it may be gone.

Well the original post has been up for several hours now. I'd take that as OK from the site admins.

There was severe weather near TX and east the past two days. Did this balloon get carried by the stormfront? Why not just post coords for where this landed, or may have landed, and see if anyone can retrieve it for you?

Thanks, for the fast responses. I will post coords but, I want to make sure I don't "step on any toes" since this is an unusual request, I sent an email to contact@geocaching.com.

Once again thanks for help!

David

Thanks, for the fast responses. I will post coords but, I want to make sure I don't "step on any toes" since this is an unusual request, I sent an email to contact@geocaching.com.

Once again thanks for help!

David

Where will you be posting them?

Here or some place else?

Can you tell I'm ready to go hunting?

PS any one who finds it or goes looking let everyone know please. :)

You should have waited until you received permission from Groundspeak.

I made the post with the coordinates and links invisible and am locking the thread for now.

Once you receive permission to from Groundspeak to use their forums for this purpose, please send that information to me or to another moderator and we will happily re-open the thread and make your post with the coordinates visible again.

Thanks for your help and understanding.

Your best bet would be to go back to the ArkGeo page and post those coords and ask the group in the Hot Springs, Russelville, and Little Rock areas to help.

That's just a bit too far away from me to go after, and I know a guy who lives near Plainview that might go after it that haunts those boards....

Well, I just spent the better part of today travelling and searching for the balloon and cargo. All I found were a lot of thorns and ticks in the woods. I managed to hit the coordinates given and fanned out in each direction for at least 100' looking high and low for any signs of it. But I can call no joy.

I talked to the local gas station owner who knows a lot of things in the area and she never heard anyone talk about it before.

I figure one of two things happened. Either 1) someone already happened upon it and took with them, or 2) the balloon must have carried it further away from the last coordinates than originally thought.

After two hours of searching in 100+ heat index and I carrying a 25 lb backpack, fatigue got the better of me and I had to give up. Once I got to my car I had to pick off about 30 ticks that ignored the bug spray I applied.

I hate that I didn't find it and lost cost about $100 for the adventure, but it was great to be able to put my eye on the exact spot it said the balloon went down. Partial victory for me. HA! Now off to bed. I'm exhausted.