Type of cacher

Mikos88

After being a cacher for 4 years now, having found almost 1,000 caches, I'm at a certain turning point when it comes to Geocaching. In the beginning I wanted to find every single cache in the area, no matter what kind of cache, who the CO is, how difficult the cache is, I've turned into a cacher that just doesn't like those simple pick ups any more. I'm looking for caches that are well favoured, have enthusiastic logs and interesting stories to tell. Original, creative, nice surroundings; those are the things I'm looking for nowadays.

After watching around, talking to others and reading messages on forums and logs, I think we can divide cachers into a few categories:

I - The podium seekers: No matter what cache is published, you'll visit them immediately to seek a FTF, STF or TTF.

II - The sweepers: All the available caches in your area, no matter what type of cache, must turn into a smiley.

III- The favourites: You'll visit a cache if the logs are positive and there's a lot of favourite points given.

IV - The passers-by: Every once in a while you'll visit a cache that you're passing by anyway.

It's not a bad or good thing to be one kind of cacher; it's your way of geocaching! And you don't necessarily need to fit one of those categories; there's a little bit of every category in you!

For example, I'm a type III-cacher, with a little bit of IV as well. I'm done with the simple pick ups behind a road sign, I like to visit caches that are well favoured, that'll show me a nice place and are hidden in a original way. And when I'm in that area and there's some other cache that I'm passing by on my way home or to the other cache, I will pick it up.

Which category fits you?

After being a cacher for 4 years now, having found almost 1,000 caches, I'm at a certain turning point when it comes to Geocaching. In the beginning I wanted to find every single cache in the area, no matter what kind of cache, who the CO is, how difficult the cache is, I've turned into a cacher that just doesn't like those simple pick ups any more. I'm looking for caches that are well favoured, have enthusiastic logs and interesting stories to tell. Original, creative, nice surroundings; those are the things I'm looking for nowadays.

After watching around, talking to others and reading messages on forums and logs, I think we can divide cachers into a few categories:

I - The podium seekers: No matter what cache is published, you'll visit them immediately to seek a FTF, STF or TTF.

II - The sweepers: All the available caches in your area, no matter what type of cache, must turn into a smiley.

III- The favourites: You'll visit a cache if the logs are positive and there's a lot of favourite points given.

IV - The passers-by: Every once in a while you'll visit a cache that you're passing by anyway.

It's not a bad or good thing to be one kind of cacher; it's your way of geocaching! And you don't necessarily need to fit one of those categories; there's a little bit of every category in you!

For example, I'm a type III-cacher, with a little bit of IV as well. I'm done with the simple pick ups behind a road sign, I like to visit caches that are well favoured, that'll show me a nice place and are hidden in a original way. And when I'm in that area and there's some other cache that I'm passing by on my way home or to the other cache, I will pick it up.

Which category fits you?

I am a IV with a twist. When I am near home I will occasionally stop for a cache if it's on my way to some place where I am already going. When I"m traveling, usually for business, I will try to make some time specifically to do some geocaching, especially if it's a country or state in which I have not previously found a cache.

Which category fits you?

Category V :lol:

Definitely NOT I as we plan where we go and I would have to "run out" to get a FTF. NOT II as there will always be high T caches or insolvable mysteries. I don't care about the map. NOT IV, I've passed enough caches I don't even want to log, even found and noted WP info while doing a multi with a micro just centimeters from my feet.

III comes close. Favorites will attract my attention, logs will help decide but as we prefer to have a full day walking/cycling along quiet paths we will set out a route around a longer multi + detours for solved mysteries, a combination of multis + solved mysteries or series with "special" caches.

As for "against the guidelines".. I don't care about that, that's between the CO and landowner. (but let's not open that can of worms).

Perhaps category III could be expanded to simply bring choosy. At one time I might have cached just to cache, these days I'm choosy. As a wise friend once said, "Despite what they say about beggars, if you are not choosy you end up with a pile of crap."

My choices have nothing to do with favorites. I never look at them. I have enough smileys so it takes more than a container to get me to stop. There has to be something else to get my attention. So I look at the location or title (Category V?). If it is a place I want to kayak I will probably stop for a cache. If it is a place I want to hike or bike, I might stop for a cache along the way. If it is a place I want to visit for other reasons - a photo op, a Roadside America listing, a historical or cultural site, an abandoned building, a petroglyph - I will usually see if there is a cache nearby. Sometimes a title points me to such places. If I think it might be fun to log a cache based on its title or theme, I might stop. The type of cache also plays a role. I'll pay more attention to letterboxes or wherigos, although I do not necessarily stop for them. I'll detour for virtuals or earthcaches.

I am not any of those. I cache often, but I prefer caches off the beaten path and I don't care about favourite points (high points usually just means a cache is gimmicky or against the guidelines).

That's one thing I'm learning. I've found caches with many favorite points that were unoriginal "fad" caches, and I've found ones with no favorite points and asked myself, "How does this one have no favorites?" It really is a shame limiting your finds based on favorite points.

Category VI - I seek an outdoor experience in someplace interesting or scenic. Since caching originally had this in mind, you use it by seeking out caches that are older, have the scenic view attribute, and/or have been logged with photos of interesting scenery. Sometimes, I don't even look for or log the cache.

Which category fits you?

I used to be I until I reached 100 and now I only go after a FTF to keep my monthly streak alive. Once I've got one, I'm done for the month unless I happen to come across one while I'm out, which isn't very often.

Used to be II as well but not so much anymore, unless it's a multi in my area.

Not really III or IV either.

I used to focus on traditional caches my first couple of years but these last 3 years I've really enjoyed finding non-traditionals of all types. I believe my non-traditional finds now make up 40% of my finds but in my first two years they made up less than 10%. I also had a personal challenge to get my D/T rating to a 2/2 and it took me 1 1/2 years to get there and that has changed my caching as well. I'll still find the lower D/T combinations, but not nearly as frequently as I used to.

I am not any of those. I cache often, but I prefer caches off the beaten path and I don't care about favourite points (high points usually just means a cache is gimmicky or against the guidelines).

That's one thing I'm learning. I've found caches with many favorite points that were unoriginal "fad" caches, and I've found ones with no favorite points and asked myself, "How does this one have no favorites?" It really is a shame limiting your finds based on favorite points.

I generally always have a target cache, and then the rest of the caching excursion, whether it's 3 caches or 30 caches, centres around that.

I usually cache outside of the city because caches inside the city are less interesting. My strategy is to look at the map, find a cache that's on an island or in a cool place or on a deserted trail, and then centre the PQ on that. For caching in town, I keep a list of puzzles and multis and older caches that I'd like to strike off my to-do list.

I'm not very picky about finding the other caches around a target cache, but I would never pick a target cache based on favourite points. I guess that strategy works if you know your taste in caches aligns with the mainstream. I know mine doesn't, and I pity the unsuspecting fool who uses my favourite points to select a cache to find. Enjoy the 3-hour bushwhack to a moldy 12-year old peanut butter jar, suckers.

As long as I find at least one cache in a cool place, or one cache that somehow feels like a personal accomplishment, the rest of the caches don't need to be stellar and I will still feel like the day has been a success.

I'd say a "Sweeper" (Type II)...but mostly out of necessity.

I cache when I can. I cannot make special trips just to cache, so I am generally limited to areas close to home or work unless I have a few free hours to expand out. I also will dip into the Type IV category if I'm out and about...in which case I often find myself either taking small detours or convincing (bribing) my kids into going to find nearby caches.

Like most cachers, I don't fit into any one category. In my immediate home area (my small city), I'm a sweeper; I'll try anything (within 3 or 4 miles from home). Outside of that - when I'm home, I tend to choose where/how I cache based on either:

1. A specific cache which I think I will enjoy (based on recommendation, or the cache owner, etc).

2. Location. A cache or set of caches which look to be a nice walk (Based on looking at the terrain on the map, and/or my knowledge or reputation of the area).

Then I will look at nearby caches.

But sometimes, I will choose based on other things, such as

- Criteria for a challenge cache I'm working on

- A specific series of caches I like (e.g. there is a "little bridges" series with caches near footbridges, I like to "collect" these.)

What I have been trying to do is focus less on the numbers. This year I think I've spent as much time caching and walked as far as last year, but only found half the number of caches. This is because I've made a greater effort to favor quality over quantity.

When I'm travelling; it is different. If I'm on business I'm more likely to look for caches which are convenient; e.g. near my hotel. Though if I have time I'll try to find caches near places of interest. If combining with a vacation, my priority is location - caches near places I want to visit anyway. Though I will lookout for "must do" caches. I do find favourite points (and percentage) useful in this regard, but only in conjunction with reading the cache description and logs.

Edited by redsox_mark

I occasionally refer to this article "Understanding Geocaching Practices and Motivations; Kenton O’Hara" and as Mikos88 points out "it's not a bad or good thing to be one kind of cacher; it's your way of geocaching! And you don't necessarily need to fit one of those categories; there's a little bit of every category in you!"

What the motivations noted in the article can do is highlight the often polarizing perspectives (and even conflict) found in the forums from cachers with different prime motivations. My anecdotal observations indicate that "collectors" are quite prevalent in geocaching. Whether it be total finds, trackables, souvenirs, countries, cache types, FTFs, etc they want to be able to find anything and everything. This brings them into conflict with those who subscribe to other motivations namely "challenges" where not every cache is for everyone. As a challenge oriented cacher it's unfortunate Groundspeak has chosen to favour the collectors over the challenge focused cachers (whether self-imposed challenges or cache based) with the moratorium and systemic "dumbing down" of so called challenge caches. Further, there are sub groups who find motivation and identity through specifically NOT collecting (be it puzzles, power trails, urban caches, micros, souvenirs, anti-collectors as it were.

Social Walking

One of the primary motivations for doing a geocache was because it created an opportunity to get out and walk. In this respect it is important to think about the activity not simply as a destination or a find. Rather, an integral part of the experience is the getting there. An important question then is why people simply didn’t just go on a walk. What is significant is how caching was used by people to give a walk a sense of purpose. This sense of purpose helped motivate participants to walk and engage in physical activity and without which they would be less inclined to go.

Discovering and Exploring Places

A key motivation underlying participation was its use as away of discovering new places to go. In this respect, it was not so much the finding of a cache that was primary motivation but where it led to as a consequence of doing this treasure hunt.

Collecting

As an activity, geocaching was more than just the sum of the individual caching experiences. For many of the participants, there was a “collecting” ethos that was a significant part of the experience. The geocaching web site keeps a record of all the different caches a particular cacher or caching team have done. Their “collection” of cache finds as a whole was a demonstrable record of what they have achieved. Building this up was an important and ongoing driver for continued participation. Participants mentioned that they would not want to give this up visible sense of achievement. In this respect we cannot look for motivational and behavioural factors simply within the context of an isolated geocache experience. The significance and meaning of the next cache is dependent upon the context of what they have already collected and achieved.

Profile and statistics

Part of the value of these collecting practices within geocaching comes from being immersed within the social context of the geocaching community. As discussed in the social psychology literature on collecting, a person’s collection becomes bound up with doing identity work [15]. Consequently, there was value not simply in these collecting achievements per se but how they came to be represented to others. With this in mind, it is important to consider the ways this was enabled through the on-line environment and how this inextricably tied the location-based experience with accompanying on-line behaviour.

Challenge: individual and social aspects

For many participants, one of the key driving factors for ongoing participation was that geocaching provided a number of sources of challenge. “I mean it’s a terrific challenge to be able to find it. I suppose that is it – it’s a challenge. I don’t like to be beaten. The longest we have spent looking is about an hour and a half and I don’t like to give up until I have found it.”

This is in line with the claims made in [18] about the location-based technologies providing value not simply by making it easy to get information at the right place and time but also by making it difficult. As we can see from the above quote, there was a sense that participants did not want to be beaten and will spend what on the face of it seems rather an irrational amount of time trying to locate the cache. But this gives a sense of the commitment to the challenge and level of motivation. Others spoke of how they would reluctantly give up on a particular occasion, but would often revisit the site again in an attempt to try again.

For the Puzzle Caches there was also the additional challenge of solving problems to discover the particular coordinates for the cache. What was significant about these puzzles was they required a large amount of time investment to solve them and much of this work occurs away from the cache site. Because of this distribution of the experience away from the actual cache location, participants would sometimes email the cache owners to confirm that they had correctly solved the puzzle before embarking on a long journey to actually find the cache. This extension of the experience beyond the cache site was also an important part of how people maintained participation in the activity even when not convenient to be out and about.

I'm not focused on the caches. I'm focused on walking. I pick a place to walk based on an interesting route where I can find some caches, then I look for whatever caches are along that route.

I do end up sweeping up all the caches in my area, but only because I've walked everywhere within a certain distance, not to get the caches off the map.

I occasionally refer to this article "Understanding Geocaching Practices and Motivations; Kenton O’Hara" ]

Looked for this but could only find an abstract. Do you have a link to the full text?

As an aside, it's very interesting how many scholarly articles are out there on geocaching.

Our first two or three years, with quite a few FTFs, I'd say a I.

Later, guess I'm now a V, or VI.

I only go after caches that look fun for me, and think nothing of passing the nondescript parking lot/trailhead pill bottles to get there.

- The emails finally stopped, so I guess those COs are now okay with that. :D

I only go after caches that look fun for me, and think nothing of passing the nondescript parking lot/trailhead pill bottles to get there.

Did you get emails from COs asking why you didn't look for their caches?

Yep.

Yep.

That's fascinating. Did you tell them why?

Yep.

Yep. :laughing:

Yep.

Yep. :laughing:

Sometimes I will find a decent cache and then skip a PT or some other silliness by the same cache owner. I always sort of hope they will notice but so far no emails.

Sometimes I will find a decent cache and then skip a PT or some other silliness by the same cache owner. I always sort of hope they will notice but so far no emails.

Off-topic, but CO emails is why I haven't done a PMO since '09 (though the other 2/3rds did a couple of/with friends).

Got tired of emails from micro-managing, anal-retentive cos from out of my area asking when I'm finally gonna hit it, when I simply look at it more than once.

One accusing me of theft (turns out it was muggled) was the clincher.

Said something on a local site about it, a local CO thought I was speaking of them ... and everything kinda went downhill real quick.

Even though it's easy to skip that audit today, easier on me to not do them at all. :)

Off-topic, but CO emails is why I haven't done a PMO since '09 (though the other 2/3rds did a couple of/with friends).

Got tired of emails from micro-managing, anal-retentive cos from out of my area asking when I'm finally gonna hit it, when I simply look at it more than once.

Said something on a local site about it, a local CO thought I was speaking of them ... and everything kinda went downhill real quick.

Even though it's easy to skip that audit today, easier on me to not do them at all. :)

So bringing it back on topic, I guess we need to expand/revise type III or add a category for highly selective cachers (individual criteria may vary).

Odd, I've looked at lots of far off (and nearby) PM caches, sometimes multiple times, and have never received an email from an owner.

So bringing it back on topic, I guess we need to expand/revise type III or add a category for highly selective cachers (individual criteria may vary).

That's my category. I am (currently) a highly selective cacher. I once drove 1600 miles (round trip) for a single cache (Potter's Pond) to fill in Aug 2000. I did pick up about a dozen other caches on the trip, but they were spur of the moment caches.

I'm highly selective based upon personal goals. Jasmer, Well-travelled, 306 degrees, GeoTours, Placed Date, 365/366 days, and other personal goals.

Just one of any of the four does not fit me. One, Two and Four for would be a good description of me. .

So, after reading all your replies, I think the 4 categories are mostly good, but I should add two more categories and rewrite the description of III :)

III- The quality cachers: You'll visit a cache if the logs are positive, and/or has a lot of favourite points, and/or is highly regarded. You're looking for wheat among the chaff

V - The nature lovers: You seek an outdoor experience in some place interesting or scenic, sometimes you pick up a geocache that's along the route.

VI - The NOTAs: None Of The Above fits you.

I don't think the sixth category is an existing one, since there's a bit of any on the other categories in anybody, but alright; I think this is the better formation. You guys agree?

So, after reading all your replies, I think the 4 categories are mostly good, but I should add two more categories and rewrite the description of III :)

III- The quality cachers: You'll visit a cache if the logs are positive, and/or has a lot of favourite points, and/or is highly regarded. You're looking for wheat among the chaff

V - The nature lovers: You seek an outdoor experience in some place interesting or scenic, sometimes you pick up a geocache that's along the route.

I don't think the sixth category is an existing one, since there's a bit of any on the other categories in anybody, but alright; I think this is the better formation. You guys agree?

Nope.

You have missed an important type: the challenge seeker. That's a cacher who seeks out hard puzzles, difficult hikes, or other physical or mental challenges to make their caching experiences memorable. Everyday caches bore them.

Nope.

You have missed an important type: the challenge seeker. That's a cacher who seeks out hard puzzles, difficult hikes, or other physical or mental challenges to make their caching experiences memorable. Everyday caches bore them.

I think that narcissa's suggestion to modify III to "Selective Cacher" (based on whatever criteria a cacher prefers) would cover that.

I think that a category is missing for those whose main motivation is the physical activity. I rather go for a cache on a mountain summit which as a cache does not interest me than for a very nicely set up drive in cache at a nice location.

I would not say that I'm pretty selective - if the choice of caches that provide me with what I look for is not large I go for almost any cache and I'm more selective where I can afford it. The main target is the physical activity, everything else comes afterwards.

I also do not agree that there is a bit of any of I-V in anybody. For example, I never cared about about being first at a cache.

Edited by cezanne

I'd say motivation would create subcategories under Type II. For some, it's about "clearing a map" without really having an interest in the actual caches themselves. For others - myself included - there is at least some small value in every location and every cache. Honestly, I will always appreciate being taken to a place I've never been. There is enjoyment in knowing you are exploring places you've never been to in a town you've lived in most of your life. Even if there is nothing inherently special about those places, I get some small satisfaction in knowing I'm going somewhere I've never been before in over 30 years of living in Atlanta. Maybe people think that is weird or crazy, but personally I think it's weird to ignore 98% of the city you live your whole life in.

I generally always have a target cache, and then the rest of the caching excursion, whether it's 3 caches or 30 caches, centres around that.

I usually cache outside of the city because caches inside the city are less interesting. My strategy is to look at the map, find a cache that's on an island or in a cool place or on a deserted trail, and then centre the PQ on that. For caching in town, I keep a list of puzzles and multis and older caches that I'd like to strike off my to-do list.

I'm not very picky about finding the other caches around a target cache, but I would never pick a target cache based on favourite points. I guess that strategy works if you know your taste in caches aligns with the mainstream. I know mine doesn't, and I pity the unsuspecting fool who uses my favourite points to select a cache to find. Enjoy the 3-hour bushwhack to a moldy 12-year old peanut butter jar, suckers.

As long as I find at least one cache in a cool place, or one cache that somehow feels like a personal accomplishment, the rest of the caches don't need to be stellar and I will still feel like the day has been a success.

That's me -- target cache, and surrounding ones. Which doesn't preclude that I tend to be a Type 2 sweeper for whatever area I might be in. I used to go out more for FTF, but now I'll get to them when I get to them.

I think that narcissa's suggestion to modify III to "Selective Cacher" (based on whatever criteria a cacher prefers) would cover that.

Well, that suggests a much simpler division: those that pick caches in order to determine where to go and those that pick locations in order to determine which caches to look for. After all, getting FTF is just another criteria, so if you're going to wrap fizzymagic's category into III, you should also wrap I in there, too. Then a third group would be incidental cachers that live their lives and find caches when they run into them.

I think that's closer to a reasonable division. The original list and its enhanced version list a bunch of motivations, but I think most cachers have all of those motivations to one degree or another from time to time, so it feels more like pigeonholing that categorization. Although, at the same time, I don't think my divisions are much better, they just, in my opinion, better capture what people are saying in this thread.

That's me -- target cache, and surrounding ones. Which doesn't preclude that I tend to be a Type 2 sweeper for whatever area I might be in. I used to go out more for FTF, but now I'll get to them when I get to them.

Yeah, I'm not above sweeping an area around a target if the caching is good.

I had suggested "location" as a Category V because I am not necessarily looking for nature. While I love outdoor experiences and plan vacations around that, I also will stop for Muffler Men, Uniroyal Women, folk art, abandoned places, historical sites, urban art, rust, UFO landing or crash sites, and a host of other things. If a cache brings me to these type of places or allows me to memorialize my visit, I appreciate that even as I appreciate a granite-lined lake or a hike to an earthcache.

But as I also wrote, being choosy for whatever reason works for me as Category III. Some people like favorite points. I like favorite places.

Well, that suggests a much simpler division: those that pick caches in order to determine where to go and those that pick locations in order to determine which caches to look for. After all, getting FTF is just another criteria, so if you're going to wrap fizzymagic's category into III, you should also wrap I in there, too. Then a third group would be incidental cachers that live their lives and find caches when they run into them.

I don't see FTF as another criteria. I still see it as a side game.

A category III cacher might prefer high difficulty or high terrain caches and a bonus if container size is bigger than a small. If they also enjoy the FTF game are they going to forgo those preferences if a D1.5 micro cache is published and has not yet been found? Are they going to revert back to being selective once the D1.5 micro is found? Someone not into the FTF game isn't going to go after a D1.5 micro but will spend the amount of time they devote to finding caches seeking caches with high D/T ratings if that's their preference.

Which category fits you?

To a greater or lesser degree, all except I. Also the stats freak--I'll go out to get a cache next Friday just because I've never found one on an Aug 19th before. I'll go out of my way for a cache hidden in Feb 2003 just to fill up that square of the grid. (Hope to get this one in October.) I'll take a trip to cache in a state or county where I don't have a find yet. (Just did this to get my 100th county.)

Thanks for replying, people! It's something interesting to see that there are so many ways of getting involved in our hobby!

I read that category III should better be named 'Selective cacher', with an extended description. Something like "You'll visit a cache if the logs are positive and there's a lot of favourite points given, or if a cache description fits your criteria (e.g. attributes, difficulty or terrain)."

And change V to "The location lovers: You seek an outdoor experience in some place interesting or scenic, sometimes you pick up a geocache that's along the route."

The original list and its enhanced version list a bunch of motivations, but I think most cachers have all of those motivations to one degree or another from time to time, so it feels more like pigeonholing that categorization. Although, at the same time, I don't think my divisions are much better, they just, in my opinion, better capture what people are saying in this thread.

True; but that's exactly why I started off by saying

^_^ It's all just a way to see how big these groups are. Even though I'm not a podium seeker, I did enjoy to find a cache as the first once, but I'm not going after it. Some like this, some like that!

Which category fits you?

We've only been caching since January, so have only so far found about 300, and we are still in the first group...eager to find everything in our area...and because we are on a small island....the choice is limited. Nanos certainly aren't our favourites, and as time progresses, I'm sure we will become more selective. Because we are both seniors, there are limits to our ability, but it's an amazing hobby.

I'm becoming a much more selective cacher now. My current pace means 2016 promises to be my lowest year in terms of Finds in a decade.

What kind of caches do I select now? Typically they fall into one or more of these categories:

- Some sort of hike involved

- Old caches / first caches in various jurisdictions

- Caches which allow me to clean out my radius around home

If there is a nice day outside and my meeting schedule allows it, I'll also try and pick off a cache or two if they are conveniently located near my office, but that's about it. I used to always be checking "Hey, is there a cache near here?" while out and about during my daily life, but that seldom happens now. Like VP said, too much chaff.

I think the main difference between Type 1 and 2 is timing or a sense of urgency but they are both omnivores as they will "eat anything" and eventually their finds will match up in the same area. Everyone is a Type 4 from time to time but if it's your full time way of caching you probably don't cache often. Type 3 "the favorites" points out a limitation of the listing site as favorite points are the only "shortcut" to possible "cache quality" but the basic dichotomy is: do you find "everything" or do you choose what to find? In other words are you an omnivore or more selective. If you are more selective, how do you select what to do? My interests are hiking, kayaking, and exploring the countryside. If a cache doesn't involve those aspects, I'm unlikely to do it these days. Since the majority of unfound caches involve an hour long drive (one way) I don't leave home without a clear destination and several caches in mind. The tough part is identifying the caches I think might be "worth it". Since the listing service doesn't pursue any way to easily identify a cache with the qualities I want, the process can become tedious (to know what is out there you have to look at every cache). So I look at a geographic area I haven't been too, peruse the map (and pocket queries) looking for cache with a difficulty terrain combo of at least 2/2.5, multis preferred, find a couple I want to do and head out. Other caches in the area might get done "along the way".

I realize this taps into the quality/quantity argument and I think it's fine if folks prefer to do "everything". But here's the rub: I want to go hiking and half the caches are P&Gs, only one in 7 is more than a quarter mile round trip and maybe 1 in 20 is worth driving a couple of hours to do. I sure wish there was a way to "sort" through the P&Gs and identify the stuff I want. I do it for my 50 mile radius but wish the listing service made it easier to identify the "good stuff in the woods" more easily.

dexter

Edited by edexter

Of the four types listed, I'd say I'm none of them. I've only found one FTF so far, have certainly not swept my local area, and don't tend to be the 'passer-by' since I use a GPSr exclusively and so to some extent need to plan in advance and run a PQ / upload caches. I'd be in some sense closest to the favourites-seeker though I have my own criteria rather than just favourite points.

I prefer, when I'm spending a few hours or even a full day caching, to hike far and spend as little of my time driving as possible. I usually cache along nature paths or in conservation areas, where there is plenty of good hiking and, ideally, a nice assortment of caches -- I like earthcaches, puzzles, traditionals, and even multis although I've successfully found just a few. I'll try any terrain rating provided I have the equipment (I'm generally not going to swim a 'boat required' cache though it happened once) and as long as I think I can do it safely. I especially like when a cluster of caches on the geocaching map alerts me to a conservation area or trail loop I never would've known existed otherwise. I will also say I do especially like puzzle caches so I will go a bit out of my way to log a find on an unknown that I've already solved from home.

Well I'll consider myself a sweeper and passers-by.

I would like to clear out my area before going to any other other close by areas. I know there will be caches that no longer will be there. I know there will be puzzles I won't be avle to solve. But as I try or even look at the puzzles, still give them a go. My plan is one city at a time in my state.

And also consider myself a passers-by. As I'm traveling in my state in another city. I will grab a few of those caches down the street. Or sometimes even go a little outta the way to grab one, no more than like 2 miles outta the way.

I even would even like to try to clear my state before traveking to other states just to geocache.

Can I be a "multi-cacher?"

It depends who I am with! My good friend is purely a numbers girl. I often find myself standing in a busy intersection looking ridiculous and out of place while looking for a nano on a fire hydrant when I'm with her! I prefer the woods but when I go with her, we need to pick out power trails to convince her the hike is "worth it."

My husband and I love to hike to exercise ourselves and the dogs. When we are in the woods, we often only get one cache. We love a terrain four or so with a difficulty of 1-3 where the accomplishment is mostly in having gotten to the cache!

I'm mostly Type IV - 7.5 years into this, with ~2500 finds, for urban/drivable finds, I rarely go driving around to get caches strictly for their own sake in my own area. But if I'm killing time ahead of a meeting, appointment, or running errands, I'll grab a cache or two. I certainly still look for hikes to do where I can get several caches and do those as much as I can. And, lastly, if I'm away from home -- with a chance to pick up new counties/states/countries/DeLorme Grid Squares/Quads, etc. then I certainly make a point of getting some.

I certainly have long given up on trying to keep my area clear of unfound caches.

I'm mostly Type IV - 7.5 years into this, with ~2500 finds, for urban/drivable finds, I rarely go driving around to get caches strictly for their own sake in my own area. But if I'm killing time ahead of a meeting, appointment, or running errands, I'll grab a cache or two. I certainly still look for hikes to do where I can get several caches and do those as much as I can. And, lastly, if I'm away from home -- with a chance to pick up new counties/states/countries/DeLorme Grid Squares/Quads, etc. then I certainly make a point of getting some.

I certainly have long given up on trying to keep my area clear of unfound caches.

That's pretty much exactly how I am, except that I've got about half as many finds (and two more years caching) and I don't do Challenge caches. I think I cleared a 15 mile radius in my second year and pretty much stopped trying after that.

We are in group V, and because we can't get all the caches a we explore, we have traits of III.....

I'm a bit of a "II" for about a 10 mile radius from home, but turn into a "V" once I'm traveling.