same family: two accounts

It's entirely up to you.

If you'll be geocaching separately, it may be easiest to keep separate accounts in case you want to look for geocaches she's already found and vice versa.

There are groups who share single accounts and log caches under the group account even when they break off as individuals. There are certainly people who don't like the idea of that, but it's a personal choice that doesn't really affect anybody else.

The sticklers will be along shortly to say all sorts of harsh things about group accounts.

Not sure which Justin is asking, if it's ok to set up an individual membership for his Mom or if he wants to have one joint team account. Either is fine of course.

To me, it makes sense to have separate accounts. Like Narcissa replied, it seems like it would be easier to keep track of your own cache statistics this way. Having one account seems counter intuitive to me since you've already stated that there will be times when you cache separately. Still, if that works for you, it's your business. The harsh comments don't usually arise when something like this is done.

If you choose to set up a new account for mom, and want to give her credit for any of the finds under your current account that she was with you at, you can do that. Your account will show you which days the two of you found the cache, and you can add those finds to her accounts on those same days. If you do that, and are going back very far in time, you may want to include a statement like "Originally found with my son Justin, now adding under my own account" or similar to explain what is going on. Sometimes COs get a little suspicious about delayed logs, and this will help show that there's nothing hinky going on. That's especially true if the cache has been archived since the time the two of you originally found it.

We have separate accounts, mostly so I didn't have to scroll through 200+ of "her" coins to log. :laughing:

Most our finds, separate or together, are on this team account.

On 4+ terrain finds we've done together the brat will she'll include on her's, giving her terrain rating almost 4.5 .

We don't cache the same day separately, thinking that's a different kinda "team" we'd not care to get into. :)

I know families where every person has his/her own account.

I know families that share a single account.

I know families where every person has his/her own account, plus there is a shared account for the whole family.

And so on.

Whatever works best for your family is fine.

My son(s) and I are a team, one has his own account, but we always cache together, so log as a team (which isn't an account proper!) to save time and room..... I highly doubt Groundspeak has any probs with this, especially when a family has multiple premium accounts.... :)