My first geocaching experience

Granpappa

I set a modest goal for my first time out. I had about an hour of free time last evening, so I downloaded coordinates for 2 "level 1" caches that were within 5 miles of my home (I live in a rural area). I found the first one easily. The large plastic bottle that contains the cache is weathered to the point that it cracked when I took the top off, and the log book was slightly damp. I signed the log book, and when I got home I went online and logged it as "Needs Maintenance". The second one was cleverly hidden in a spot that I wasn't expecting it to be, and I almost missed it. It took me a few minutes and a bit of head scratching to realize where it was. I signed the log sheet, and went online when I got home and logged it as "Found It". Thankfully, no blood was shed like the other guy mentioned, but I did get a little mud on my shoes!

All in all it was a fun first experience. I can't wait to try it again! I can't quite decide, but I may try a couple of "level 2 or level 3" caches next time to increase the challenge.

By the way, I think it's quite appropriate that I happen to live in "Cache Valley" in Northern Utah. Kind of poetic, don't you think? It was named that because of the mountain men who cached their furs here during the 1800's.

Edited by Granpappa

I set a modest goal for my first time out. I had about an hour of free time last evening, so I downloaded coordinates for 2 "level 1" caches that were within 5 miles of my home (I live in a rural area). I found the first one easily. The large plastic bottle that contains the cache is weathered to the point that it cracked when I took the top off, and the log book was slightly damp. I signed the log book, and when I got home I went online and logged it as "Needs Maintenance". The second one was cleverly hidden in a spot that I wasn't expecting it to be, and I almost missed it. It took me a few minutes and a bit of head scratching to realize where it was. I signed the log sheet, and went online when I got home and logged it as "Found It". Thankfully, no blood was shed like the other guy mentioned, but I did get a little mud on my shoes!

All in all it was a fun first experience. I can't wait to try it again! I can't quite decide, but I may try a couple of "level 2 or level 3" caches next time to increase the challenge.

By the way, I think it's quite appropriate that I happen to live in "Cache Valley" in Northern Utah. Kind of poetic, don't you think? It was named that because of the mountain men who cached their furs here during the 1800's.

Don't neglect to log a "Found It" on your first cache also. "Found" and "Needs Maintenance" are two separate actions.

Thanks for the tip, Nancy. I didn't know that.

I forgot to ask a question that occurred to me: When I sign the log book, am I supposed to use my user name, or my real name?

Going by the rules, it doesn't much matter. (I even had a cache where I encouraged people to draw pictures instead)

But it's best to use your geocaching name. That way if you get a cache owner who checks the logbook, and they see don't see the name Granpappa they could delete the log.