New guy here from Pittsburgh

Walts02GTC

Hi everyone! My name is Wallie. I signed up for geocaching last year but had forgotten about it and just recently started geocaching once I got a new phone a couple of weeks ago. I'm really enjoying this a lot. In just a couple of weeks, I have found 29 caches. I wish it was more but mother nature has NOT been kind to us here in Pittsburgh. I am still a basic member as I'm trying to get a feel for this before I were to upgrade. I can't believe how many caches are over the Pittsburgh area. I am looking forward to traveling and finding more over the course of time. Even though I am just a basic member, I was shocked to find a trackable item so quickly. I have to say this is a lot of fun and I'm happy I've found this forum. I have to get over feeling weirded out searching for caches with other people around or in public places as a lot of them here are. Just today I was searching for one in a guard rail with high traffic on the road and I felt goofy as people saw me on the side of the road searching for a cache especially since they don't know that's what I'm doing.

As for the weather... I understand it's Spring and it rains. But, why does it wait until I'm done with work to get lousy?! It'll be beautiful while I'm at work. As soon as I'm done for the day... BAM! Bring on the rest-of-the-evening rain. I'm off on weekends but that's when it has decided to get wicked cold and snow! Enough is enough! I can't take a day off during the week. I work Monday through Friday 7:30-5. I'm so excited to explore Pittsburgh and our surrounding neighborhoods finding geocaches but this weather pattern has to work with me here! Jeez! I chose to look for some caches after work today and wouldn't you know it, it decided to rain. Frustrated, while I searched for 8, I only found 4 as the rain got me irritated. Hoping to find some Wednesday after work and before my Pittsburgh Penguins begin their playoff run! Can't search tomorrow as I have a concert at Pittsburgh's Altar Bar to attend.

Anyway, nice to meet you all! Hope to run into some of y'all while I'm geocaching! I'm really hoping I won't annoy you guys and gals if I have a lot of questions as I get the hang of this. I think I'm beginning to understand this treasure hunt well. B)

-Wallie B.

Welcome from a fellow Pittsburgher who also happens to be a forum moderator here!

If you're not comfortable searching in highly exposed areas, get out to some of the local parks, most of which are jam packed with geocaches. My favorite is North Park, which has many caches along its trail system that are good for beginners.

As for the weather, yeah I hear ya! To solve for that, I flew to California and found around 80 caches there over the weekend!

Wow! Thanks for the tip about North Park. I go there quite often to fish, although I haven't yet this year. I only live about 15 minutes away from there in Bellevue. I guess I just have to let myself get used to searching for caches in high traffic areas. I just worry too much. People probably think I'm nuts searching around an intersection or side of the road in the oddest spots. Haha.

I'm glad Spring and Mother Nature has decided to be nice this week. Going to search for some caches before the Penguins game. Saturday is supposed to be beautiful. I'd like my goal to be 25 caches on Saturday alone. :)