New member - looking for a handheld gps

R0ck5

I am not familiar with caching but I have heard a lot about it. I am an outdoor person and love camping, hiking and bike. I have been doing lot of researching - trying to find which handheld GPS is best, reliable and friendly user. So far I finally narrow down to Garmin eTrex 20 or eTrex 30. Like I said I am still learning. I found two place sells refurbished etrex 20 and 30. Their price seems pretty reasonable. For example etrex 20 - (I m not sure what the number mean) 010-00970-10 $145. Eurex 30 0970-20 $209. I would appreciate it if you could chime in to help me understand what the number means 010-00970-10? Im sure those member has more experience and may be able to give me an advise. Thanks again!

I am not familiar with caching but I have heard a lot about it. I am an outdoor person and love camping, hiking and bike. I have been doing lot of researching - trying to find which handheld GPS is best, reliable and friendly user. So far I finally narrow down to Garmin eTrex 20 or eTrex 30. Like I said I am still learning. I found two place sells refurbished etrex 20 and 30. Their price seems pretty reasonable. For example etrex 20 - (I m not sure what the number mean) 010-00970-10 $145. Eurex 30 0970-20 $209. I would appreciate it if you could chime in to help me understand what the number means 010-00970-10? Im sure those member has more experience and may be able to give me an advise. Thanks again!

Mrs C and I have been using Etrex 20 for a few years now, excellent, accurate, rugged units with looooong battery life. For that money go for the Etrex 30. Main benefit over the 20 is the compass.

I second colleda's endorsement of the eTrex 20 -- I started with the 10 but upgraded to the 20 after a year or so of caching when I came to understand how helpful having a unit that can hold maps would be. I've never used the 30 but the eTrex line is great I've found, and have no doubt the 30 is too.

I use the smartphone in my pocket, with offline maps, offline caches, and without cellular service.