Garmin GPSr won't update location

Spring is here, and I have started caching again. I went to load some new caches into my Garminc GPSmap 62s. No problem at the GC website, but Garmin Base Camp told me that I needed a system upgrade.

Did that. Here is the problem: when I search for geocaches "near current location," it keeps defaulting to my home location (the last used), not where I am right now, 300 miles away.

I re-updated the system software three times. Base Camp shows that caches near my current location are in the memory. Yet the Garmin is not finding them.

What do I do next?

Thanks in advance to any wizards with the answer.

It's just when I search for nearby caches that it defaults to my home location.

Why would you use 'Search near my current location'? If you just go to the geocache list screen, it always lists in order of what's closest to you. If you go to the map screen, you can see where you are and all the caches near you are displayed around your location. No need to use the search function for that. I don't know why it won't do what you want, but you don't need to do it that way. smile.gif

Let's step back. List out exactly what you are doing on the GPS.

1) Press "Page" until you get to the "Geocaches" screen

2) You should see a list of geocaches.

3) Press "Menu". "Search near". "My current location". Press "Enter".

Edited by Red90

Let's step back. List out exactly what you are doing on the GPS.

1) Press "Page" until you get to the "Geocaches" screen

2) You should see a list of geocaches.

3) Press "Menu". "Search near". "My current location". Press "Enter".

Yes, I was doing that, and it would search a previous location, even though I had a good satellite lock where I was.

I figured there had to be a corrupted file, so I deleted all saved caches, waypoints, etc., but I am still not sure that the problem was fixed.

I've had this GPSr for three or four years, so I am pretty used to how it is supposed to work. The problem began with the last system upgrade pushed by Garmin, I think.

Edited by chasclifton