Battery Setting on GPSmap64s

Essential is you want the battery meter to work.

Yes, I'm aware of the battery meter/guage at all times while using a gps. I suppose what I really should have asked is why are there different settings for different batteries? Why does the gps care what type of battery it's getting the power from?

The different batteries have different voltage profiles and the GPS needs to know in order to provide a correct battery meter reading.

I see. Thank you.

Since I use rechargeable NiMH batteries I suppose that I should choose Traditional NiMH rather than Precharged NiMH?

Also if you set the GPS for NiMH and put alkaline batteries in, they might Go into recharge if you plug it in with the batteries installed. Not good.

The charging is activated by a switch in the battery compartment, not the battery setting. When the switch is depressed the option to select battery type is not available.

Edited by Red90
  • Upvote 1

Also if you set the GPS for NiMH and put alkaline batteries in, they might Go into recharge if you plug it in with the batteries installed. Not good.

The charging is activated by a switch in the battery compartment, not the battery setting. When the switch is depressed the option to select battery type is not available.

Nice safety feature. Didn't realize it as I have a standalone charger.

The switch in the battery setting is only activated if you use the expensive Garmin battery pack which is constructed to press down on the switch. Ordinary batteries, rechargeable or otherwise, won't activate the switch unless you place a thin piece of plastic in the compartment beforehand.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Rechargeable-Battery-GPSMAP-Oregon/dp/B00B1QUF8O

Yes, I'm aware of the battery meter/guage at all times while using a gps. I suppose what I really should have asked is why are there different settings for different batteries? Why does the gps care what type of battery it's getting the power from?

Different battery types have different discharge rates. Some types have a fairly linear discharge rate over time, while others hold a more consistent voltage level and then drop more suddenly when they get close to depletion. In order for the battery meter to accurately reflect the remaining battery life, it needs to know what to expect. It won't effect the actual performance of the unit, but if the incorrect type is selected, the battery meter could show you with 2 bars left and then suddenly go dead or it could notify you that the batteries need to be changed when in reality they are still 50% full.

Different battery types have different discharge rates. Some types have a fairly linear discharge rate over time, while others hold a more consistent voltage level and then drop more suddenly when they get close to depletion. In order for the battery meter to accurately reflect the remaining battery life, it needs to know what to expect. It won't effect the actual performance of the unit, but if the incorrect type is selected, the battery meter could show you with 2 bars left and then suddenly go dead or it could notify you that the batteries need to be changed when in reality they are still 50% full.

I recently bought a new bundle of Eneloop AA and AAA NiMH cells w/charger. Cells were made in Japan, and looked exactly like the Sanyo white ones of ten years ago, except with the newer Panasonic branding instead of Sanyo. I may now phase the oldest ones out of my rotation, since the new ones do seem to last longer. Manufacturing dates are stamped along the wrapper seams, just like the originals.

Pre-charged seems to mean partially charged to about 70% if I remember correctly, so I would just use the normal NiMH setting if I had a Garmin 64s.

NiMH battery meters are nearly impossible to be accurate as the batteries have a very flat discharge profile.

So what have you set your 64s to, Rob. Traditional NiMH or Precharged?

I haven't done any extensive testing with my 64s, but I wasn't able to see any difference between the Traditional or Precharged settings so I just leave mine on Traditional even though I'm actually using the precharged Panasonic Pro.

Not quite correct there. The switch is only used when using Garmins own double battery. If using 2 separate batteries the switch is inactive because it is not depressed. Unless you do a modification. i.e use a bit of plastic under the batteries that holds the switch down and then the batteries can be charged through the gps unit. Although the said method is a bit iffy.

I have made up two pairs of eneloop batteries using shrink tubing and small triangular wooden inserts to press on the switch.

I bought some garmin precharged Barts but their capacity is not as good as the bats I have now

I have contacted garmin to say their metering of the precharged is not accurate

This has worked ok for over a year

I have accepted the naff metering, I get well over 8 hrs

The bonus is the usb charging and not having to take it all apart every time, especially as I use a soft outer case

When charging eneloops in Garmin with button pressed down, does it ever stop charging? I’ve had mine plugged in for 12 hours and it still shows charging, although batteries show full if I take them out and put in smart charger.