Garmin Etrex 20 white screen of death?

hi all,

I'm having issues with my Etrex 20. When I go to turn it on, I don't get the Garmin scree, or any screen for that matter, all I get is a white screen. I have taken out the batteries and put new ones in, no difference. I have taken the sd card out, and no difference. I connected it to my computer and it automatically turns on, but just to the white screen. I have even taken the batteries out and hooked it to the computer and it just automatically turns on with the white screen. I have tried to do the master reboot but nothing. Anyone have a suggestion on what I can get do to get this up and running again? I haven't dropped it either. it's been a while since I used it so I went to break it out and, well, nothing.

any help would be great.

thanks.

Dan

There may be a corrupted file on the device causing it to fail to boot all the way. Google "Hard Reset" for the eTrex 20 and give that a try. It should restore all system files to their factory default. If that doesn't work, contact Garmin because if you can't connect it to the computer and get it to mount as a mass storage device, you're probably out of luck.

Hi Dan,

Did you manage to fix the problem? I'm also getting a white screen when I turn my etrex 20 on, and I cannot make any hard reset, as it doesn't display anything, although I can hear the beeps.

I appreciate if you could let me know how to fix this.

Thanks,

Carlos

hi all,

I'm having issues with my Etrex 20. When I go to turn it on, I don't get the Garmin scree, or any screen for that matter, all I get is a white screen. I have taken out the batteries and put new ones in, no difference. I have taken the sd card out, and no difference. I connected it to my computer and it automatically turns on, but just to the white screen. I have even taken the batteries out and hooked it to the computer and it just automatically turns on with the white screen. I have tried to do the master reboot but nothing. Anyone have a suggestion on what I can get do to get this up and running again? I haven't dropped it either. it's been a while since I used it so I went to break it out and, well, nothing.

any help would be great.

thanks.

Dan

Hey Carlos,

I actually called Garmin's 1-800 line and talked to someone there and the unit was shot. I think it was because it was doing a system update and the batteries died and in the end there was nothing I could do to fix it. I send in my unit and they replaced it for a fee. I think you are probably in the same boat and you will have to call them. on the plus side, I got a refurbished unit sent back to me in no time flat. I think between me sending it to them and getting it back, it was a week tops.

good luck.

There is a way to force a "Forced USB Mass Storage Mode" from the unit's ROM software:

1. Prerequisite: Download the unit's latest firmware to disk. Rename the firmware installer to GUPDATE.GCD

2. Remove a micro SD card and the batteries. Empty the Gpx folder.

3. Connect the USB cable and simultaneously press the unit's stick upwards and push the ON button - both for at least 30 seconds.

4. When in Mass Storage Mode: copy the updater file onto the unit's Garmin folder.

5. Disconnect the cable. Insert batteries (full ones!) and start the unit.

6. The software will be installed and the unit should start as usual.

Hans

Edited by HHL