Jedi Mickey Mystery Geocoin

Mauison

Wowowow!

Given the date, I would have said that this is too good to be true. But Dresseldragons' photo of the same coin looks very realistic! And if anyone were to fool this community with something like this, they'd probably be given a pretty hard time! Right...? :)

(editing my phone's creative spelling)

Edited by mamoreb

Wondering if this should actually be merged with the copyright thread. :unsure:

Disney would be all over this.

I would have to agree!!!!

I realize that Groundspeak stays out of this kind of issue by saying it is not their artwork and in this case it is a non trackable coin but I really think any thread and artwork as blatant as this coin and a few others should be shut down. Allowing this to happen is giving implied consent. They are so stick on their own trade marks and copyrights but allow others to be used at will, not a very good corporate citizen, in my opinion.

I realize that Groundspeak stays out of this kind of issue by saying it is not their artwork and in this case it is a non trackable coin but I really think any thread and artwork as blatant as this coin and a few others should be shut down. Allowing this to happen is giving implied consent. They are so stick on their own trade marks and copyrights but allow others to be used at will, not a very good corporate citizen, in my opinion.

This thread would actually make it easier for the Disney trademark and copyright people track down the violation, wouldn't it? As mentioned in another thread, some companies hire people to do just that.

This thread would actually make it easier for the Disney trademark and copyright people track down the violation, wouldn't it? As mentioned in another thread, some companies hire people to do just that.

Yet this thread remains open. Hmm

Why should it be closed? No guidelines are violated.

It can be discussed all you want. It can't be for sale here. I have no reason to close it, there are no forum violations. I just think whoever made this coin should know that there is a trademark issue. I have sent a link to Groundspeak to bring it to their attention, along with a link to the copyright thread, since this is a current event.

Why should it be closed? No guidelines are violated.

True, but I've seen threads closed for lesser reasons. It was suggested by others that this thread could make it easier for Disney to locate the coin.

Is it really a problem as long as no money is being made off of the said coins? As they are being gifted away, how is it any different than making a friendship necklace that looks like Mickey and then giving it to a friend? I would think that the problem would begin when money is being made off of the item. Regardless... I like the dark black background with the glitter.

As a mystery coin (not-for-sale, only personal use type of thing) I think this is fine. There is nothing directly linking it to Disney. I don't think you can trademark an offset Venn diagram.

As long as it isn't sold this is just fan art. Nothing more.

(I'm not a lawyer either, nor do I play one, but I have seen one on TV. That's good enough to testify before Congress)

It can be discussed all you want. It can't be for sale here. I have no reason to close it, there are no forum violations. I just think whoever made this coin should know that there is a trademark issue. I have sent a link to Groundspeak to bring it to their attention, along with a link to the copyright thread, since this is a current event.

As I said before... "Allowing this to happen is giving implied consent."

As a mystery coin (not-for-sale, only personal use type of thing) I think this is fine. There is nothing directly linking it to Disney. I don't think you can trademark an offset Venn diagram.

As long as it isn't sold this is just fan art. Nothing more.

(I'm not a lawyer either, nor do I play one, but I have seen one on TV. That's good enough to testify before Congress)

Regardless of whether money is being made or not, is very much a trademark violation. Unlike copyright, trademarks last as long as the image is used by the owning company. And Disney is famous for protecting their trademarks.

STOP IT!!!! :anicute:

No really... You Stop it Mickey Diver, er, umm...Jedi Mickey :anicute: Yer killin me here!!! If im not totally mistaken, I think I may have saw some sort of Pyschadelic Jedi Mickey tripper mystery dude somewhere too!!!!!!!! Seriously man...yer killin me!!! :huh::anibad: