Release Notes - June 25, 2013

Read the last update's Release Notes

Release Notes

This release of Geocaching.com makes the small things a little easier. We tackled a series of bug fixes, and released a new web URL to make it easy to help find help (easy right?) .

• Contacting our support team is now easier with a new redirector: http://www.geocaching.com/help
  • WYSIWYG editor for trackables is now working properly in Internet Explorer 10
  • Continued improvements to the new cache details page design
  • Event Caches are now included in the highlighted beginner geocaches on cache search results
  • Send to GPS now working for Garmin devices when using Chrome browser on Mac OS
  • Fixed an issue with the Geowoodstock XI souvenir image
  • Fixed a 500 server error when attempting to access a cache log when not logged in
  • Fixed an issue with user hide count when a cache is adopted

Surely you have done a good job, the things you have improved will be useful, but... I had hoped so much that you would also implement the feature that would show the icons of Mystery and Multi caches with corrected coordinates in the right spot on the map and in the official API. You mentioned that in November 2011 in this topic http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285926 - and after 1,5 year still nothing, although there have been multiple releases since then. How are you getting on with this feature? Is it so difficult a thing to do? Many users would find this feature the greatest addition.

Surely you have done a good job, the things you have improved will be useful, but... I had hoped so much that you would also implement the feature that would show the icons of Mystery and Multi caches with corrected coordinates in the right spot on the map and in the official API. You mentioned that in November 2011 in this topic http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285926 - and after 1,5 year still nothing, although there have been multiple releases since then. How are you getting on with this feature? Is it so difficult a thing to do? Many users would find this feature the greatest addition.

They did sneak the corrected coordinates into the API a while back, broke it for a while, and I think it is working again. Typically changes to the API are not noted in the release notes or any where else.

and please: link it to the log like it had been before.

I second that. I'm missing the link to my own found it log in the top right corner for caches with several hundreds of logs very much.

Why have you made the smiley larger, but removed the much more useful link the log? The missing links makes things more difficult not easier as claimed by the OP for the new release.

Moreover, I wonder what options like Unarchive or enable mean for archived caches, i.e. why are they shown to me (I'm not a reviewer!). Clicking on those links one ends up with the menu for writing logs which obviously does not offer these two options (unarchive and enable).

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

They did sneak the corrected coordinates into the API a while back, broke it for a while, and I think it is working again. Typically changes to the API are not noted in the release notes or any where else.

I have Windows Phone 8 and in the official API Geocaching Live I still see the symbols of Mystery and Multi caches on their original spots, not on real ones (although I have corrected the coordinates of these caches on the webpage and sent them to a Pocket Query). The same for the map on the webpage, no change with the symbols position.

Should I reinstall the application (not sure if it hepls), or it's just not working on WP8 yet? Thanks.

Edited by ovrl

My send to GPS has quit working since this last update. I have a Garmin and Windows XP. Anyone else having problems?

Yes, and it has been mentioned in the BUGS forum

I hadn't read the BUGS forum but we did report the problem to the Help desk and got a reply today that they were aware of it and it had been fixed. Yeah, I had some new caches to add to the GPS and it was fixed just in time.

Edited by Slow&Velvet

I generally like the new cache page design, but please remove the text "Geocache Description:".

A lot of descriptions are made with their own headings, which doesn't look good when they get this added to them.

+1 !! We don't need this "title".

And in the "Personal Cache Note" Area, please add a break line before and in our notes... I don't want my notes after the ":". I often align informations with multiples lines but it's shifted now...

Example:

zxOLQXG.png

Edited by Surfoo

and please: link it to the log like it had been before.

I second that. I'm missing the link to my own found it log in the top right corner for caches with several hundreds of logs very much.

Why have you made the smiley larger, but removed the much more useful link the log? The missing links makes things more difficult not easier as claimed by the OP for the new release.

Just noticed today, the "found" or "did not find" date in the corner of the cache page does link to the log now. I don't know if that was just changed or not. I don't get the new page on my computer, but I'm on my brother's computer now, and it shows the new design.

I like how it shows, not only if you found it on xx/xx/xxxx, but also if you didn't find it.