Oregon Forest Fire Lookout Challenge

WR7X

Thanks to The Navigatorz and Lookout Lisa for the motivation, I have started the Oregon Forest Fire Lookout Challenge. Time to visit the heights!

Nicely done WR7X. Have fun Oregon geocachers. To those who enjoy hiking, mountain driving, breathtaking scenery, and visiting these historical landmarks, this challenge is for you.

So when is Montana going to start one? :rolleyes: There are 639 lookout locations in Montana (mostly in the western part of the state).

I have placed two more caches at lookouts this past week but waiting for approval.

Both caches are in South Central Oregon in section 4.

One on Slide Mountain. No lookout but there is an outhouse still. As well as a great view North across Summer Lake.

One on Bald Butte. The lookout is still active and in use.

Both can be found within a couple hours of each other, depending on your risk level.

Both are around 7700 feet elevation so I am guessing mid to late June for access. Or now.

More in the works.

As of 09-19-07 there are now 124 lookouts in Oregon with caches at them.

Zone 1 - 33

Zone 2 - 29

Zone 3 - 17

Zone 4 - 9

Zone 5 - 7

Zone 6 - 7

Zone 7 - 10

Zone 8 - 12

Only zone 3 has a double that you have to decide on one or the other.

Well, I tried to make an 8th for zone 5... :huh:<_<:huh:

How about a reward for highest combined terrain ratings for the 50 lookouts visited? This could be similar to the CCIO Challenge. Thoughts??

That would be a MAJOR PAIN as well as making a large change to this cache.

It also makes for a lot more work on the cache owners part, changes how people will attempt this cache, you would have to have a time limit, etc.

From experience, I myself would have to vote for not making this suggested change.

Logscaler.

I send an e-mail whenever I have any updates as well as sending a link to any new pages.

I also update my Bookmark list as soon as possible.

There are several easy ones for you in the Vinegar Hill, Desolation Butte, Indian Rock area.

I was hoping to get to section 8 before the snow flew this year but it looks like I am going to be late.

Looks to me like a average of 7 finds per section should cover this hunt.

IF your keeping score of your lookouts, with our 30 lookouts we are over 188,000 feet elevation so far.

Averaging just below 6300 feet per lookout.

Logscaler.

There are several easy ones for you in the Vinegar Hill, Desolation Butte, Indian Rock area.

I was hoping to get to section 8 before the snow flew this year but it looks like I am going to be late.

Looks to me like a average of 7 finds per section should cover this hunt.

IF your keeping score of your lookouts, with our 30 lookouts we are over 188,000 feet elevation so far.

Logscaler.

I was going to place one on Vinegar Hill but you beat me to it. I guess that's better than both placing a cache the same weekend and having to retrieve one.

I'm at 6330 for my 11 finds/hides with a couple hides planned around the 7000 range. Are you proposing a reward for highest caches?

I went ahead and added "Triple 7" by bigeddy (GC145P5) to the bookmark list, good for Area 4. This gives two caches (Almost 8000 GC82A7 is nearby) at the same lookout site (Paulina Peak). Since you pretty much have to drive to the old lookout site to access both, you should be able to do both on the same trip. Still, you only get credit for one (one cache credit per lookout site). The addition has no impact to current participant totals.

A few more located for the challenge:

Fishing for Indian Mt - GCXQMP - Good for use in Area 1

Rockin Tom - GC176MA - Good for use in Area 1

That Shiney Thing On Top: Green Peter - GC170FC - Good for use in Area 1

Tippy Tip Top - GCN2ZJ - Good for use in Area 1

Adding another lookout cache to the challenge:

Horse Rock Adventure Series: The Mane Cave - GC17KF6 - Area 2

Horse Rock was briefly home to a Linn FPA cabin from 1939-1940s. Note: there are several caches in the vicinity of the summit, but this one appears to be closest to the top and therefore will be the qualifier....that is, unless someone can manage to squeeze in another hide at the summit!

Here's another cache that qualifies:

Chimney Rock Rocks!!! - GCRCBJ - Area 2

I was scratching my head for a bit on this one, as there is no "Chimney Rock Lookout" listed in this geographic area in Ray Kresek's 'Fire Lookouts of the Northwest'. I have determined this was the site of the 'Chandler Mountain' lookout, a Linn FPA 2-story enclosed L-4 cab from 1952-1970.

According to the "Oregon Field Guide" show I was watching last night, they went to Green Mountain near Christmas Valley, all together that there where between 800 and 900 fire lookouts in Oregon.

I wonder where they got that number from? Whatever source they used would make a good one for locating all them.

Ray Kresek's book "Fire Lookouts of the Northwest" list 849 Oregon lookouts by Section Township Range and elevations.

Thanks BeanTeam for the heads up! Looks like a good book. If it's the same Doug Newman I am aware of, he passed away some time ago. Must have been a project that was ready to go.

You're welcome.

I am sure it is the same one. According to the article Doug Newman died in 1992. He had been contracted to write the book prior to his death by the local historical society who finally got around to publishing the book.

After looking into it a bit more it may focus regionally on lookouts in Lane County specifically and while of interest in general it may not be the best resource for your challenge......unless of course you live in Lane County. :o

As a side note my affection for lookouts stems from several years when my dad worked on Flagtail, Sugarloaf, and Fall Mountains in the late 1970's,

I have a few stories that I could share about lookout tower life that are book worthy. :o

Edited by TheBeanTeam

According to the "Oregon Field Guide" show I was watching last night, they went to Green Mountain near Christmas Valley, all together that there where between 800 and 900 fire lookouts in Oregon.

I wonder where they got that number from? Whatever source they used would make a good one for locating all them.

Ray Kresek's book "Fire Lookouts of the Northwest" list 849 Oregon lookouts by Section Township Range and elevations.

I think the total now is 850 (one more located after the book was republished in 1997).

I am in the process of creating web pages for each and every lookout site in Oregon using the inventory information from Ray's book. I nearly have western Oregon completed. I am incorporating links to geocaches, benchmarks, and topo maps on the pages.

A new qualifying cache has been placed in Area 8:

7091 - Big Lookout Mtn. - GC1C3FM - by cache-n-dash

As well, I have deleted GCK269 "LOOKOUT" as a qualifier for this site due to it being much further from the lookout tower than the new hide.