Maps Required?

I will be taking a Panama Canal cruise which will stop in 5 countries and pass through a 6th country that has a virtual cache that can be found from the ship. I would like to try to find a cache in each county using my Garmin Oregon 550t. Will my Garmin Oregon work in areas I do not have maps loaded for? Since they will all be easy terrain caches all I really need to find them is the arrow and line.

Maps aren't a requirement... nice, but not required. The GPSr will direct you even without mapping.

BUT... there are free downloads, just select the area(s): https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/14.307/-95.142 .

Now... if you haven't used the GPSr after traveling a looooong distance, be advised that you will need to boot it up and let it set with a clear view of the sky for a seemingly long time -- perhaps up to 1/2 hour.

It needs to do a complete sky search for satellites and build a new satellite constellation almanac.

'Tis a question that arises now and again... usually after-the-fact. You know now ahead of time. :D