Oregon 650 GPS

I was geocaching this weekend with my Oregon 650 when all of the sudden I lost the top information data (the name of the cache, how far away to the cache, etc.). I have not been able to figure out how to retrieve this information. It is too hard to cache when all you have is the map showing the cache, and you don't know how close you are to it. Does anyone know how to get this back on the screen?

I did not see an arrowhead. Everything I tried to touch did not get the information back.

First no need to double post a reply. If you hit reply it will quote the posy and let you type.

It is most likely you accidently hit that up arrow. Look for a tiny down arrow in tge center at the top.

If that isn't there go to setup and make check that you have that display enabled for the map display.

If those don't work a full reset may be in order.

I was geocaching this weekend with my Oregon 650 when all of the sudden I lost the top information data (the name of the cache, how far away to the cache, etc.). I have not been able to figure out how to retrieve this information. It is too hard to cache when all you have is the map showing the cache, and you don't know how close you are to it. Does anyone know how to get this back on the screen?

You may get a factory default "Profile" file from Garmin Support. Here's mine:

http://kunarion.com/Geocache/Geocaching2.gpf

Place it into the "Profiles" folder on your Garmin 650, and there will be a new Profile called "Geocaching2". I added the "2" so that files don't get over-written while you test this, but you may rename it as you like.

See if any of these screens help describe what you're asking about: http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/garmin_oregon600_en.html

There's a little arrow icon at the top of the Map screen, to pull the "Dashboard" into view:

e2fc51f1-c46e-40ce-8385-978601ba5b24_l.jpg

Use the Compass screen to hunt Geocaches:

c7a5db0c-04d3-429d-ba63-fe37ca3996e7.jpg

I have a Small Dashboard like that, but set to "Waypoint at Next" (shows the current cache name), "Distance To Next", "Location" (shows coords where I'm at), and Time Of Day. If that seems too busy, you may use a Large Data Field, and have "Distance To Next", for a nice readable distance display. I have a separate Geocaching Profile named "CachingCar", since the all screens are quite different when I'm driving to a cache. Note that Garmin's default "Geocaching" Profile doesn't necessarily have the ideal Geocaching selections. I've change most everything to suit.

Inadvertently activating the touch screen can change things. When you get your Profiles set up as you prefer, backup the "Profiles" folder onto a computer disk, so you can load a Profile later if it gets scrambled.

Edited by kunarion

In response to luvvinbird. If I had to rely on my 650 we wouldn't have found anything like as many caches as we have. Why? When compared to my wife's Garmin 62s it is inaccurate and sluggish. I would say that on 95% of our finds the 62s goes straight to the cache whilst the 650 is anything from 30 to 60 feet away. If you wait long enough the error will reduce but by that time my wife has signed the log and is on her way to the next.

It is rare that I have a day's caching without having to remove the batteries because the unit has locked up. Screen sensitivity can also be a problem. I have programmed the user button to lock the screen as otherwise the very fact that it is banging against your body will cause it to do all sorts of odd things. Even with the screen locked it can suddenly re-configure itself, for example change or turn off a dashboard which may have happened to looneybin. If it is cold and you are wearing gloves you need to increase the sensitivity. However if it then starts to rain the screen is useless. Give Garmin their due, they have exchanged the unit twice free of charge but all three units have exhibited exactly the same faults. The 650 does of course have its good points. It is easy to scroll the map and enter data, for example next stage coordinates, and flip between applications, but if I had to have just one device for geocaching it would be the 62s.