I know I'm a bit green, but....

Green...Bean

Having gone back to Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) I cannot use the "send to GPS" feature as Garmin do not support open-source OS.

The easiest option for me is to use (some of) the money I would have otherwise have blown on windows anti-virus updates to get a premium account and download the full GPX files to HDD. No problem....

But...

I am very confused by this whole "pocket query" & "bookmark" business.

The blurb is less than clear and does not help, nor is there any way of experimenting with them before parting with the cash (a couple of days free trial of the features would have been the ideal!) What I need to know is basically this....

Can I search a pocket query by selecting an area (preferably on a map)?

How are the results delivered - i.e. are they emailed to me or do I have to download them?

What file type are they in? Is it a simple GPX that I can cut & paste without the Garmin plugin (see above)?

Do they come as one single file or as separate files for each cache?

Also; how do bookmarks work?

Can I select a group by bookmarking & download them all together?

Any & all help gratefully received. :huh:

Can I search a pocket query by selecting an area (preferably on a map)?

How are the results delivered - i.e. are they emailed to me or do I have to download them?

What file type are they in? Is it a simple GPX that I can cut & paste without the Garmin plugin (see above)?

Do they come as one single file or as separate files for each cache?

Will run from a map - use the one available from your profile page, or from any cache page.

You can also select a cache as the centre point, or coordinates.

PQs are downloaded from the second tab "Pocket Queries Ready to Download" from this page >http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ (You will get an email to say the PQ has run and is ready...

Supplied as a GPX file - usually as a zip file, which contains 2 files with all the caches in (1 file xxxx.gpx the other xxxx.wpts.gpx, the second contains any 'additional waypoints' for the caches, eg parking, stages of a multi, trail path etc.)

Also; how do bookmarks work?

Can I select a group by bookmarking & download them all together?

Caches can be added to a Bookmark.

The Bookmark can then have a PQ run from it.

If the caches are in the same area a PQ should cover it.

A Bookmark is more for selected caches, eg by the same cache owner, or specific caches you want to do in an area, or along a route.

Worth a read:

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk (written by one of the UK Reviewers)

Or Markwell's guide http://markwell.us/pq.htm

Edited by Bear and Ragged

First off, a big thanks to you both for your help!

Bear and Ragged: Great info. Sounds like it's actually not as difficult as I was imagining. Just one small point, if I may: Is that one zip file per cache or multi caches in one .GPX & one .WPTS.GPX file? I've only tried files with a single cache in so far so perhaps this is something I didn't even know the unit could do... (Only had it a couple of weeks so still learning).

RuideAlmeida: I joined just under a month ago as a basic member - just to try it out - and immediately got hooked. At first I was caching without a GPS but now that I have one I would really like to be able to load caches in rather than messing about with paper and entering them by hand... A free month's trial sounds absolutely fantastic & the perfect thing to tune up my searches. What would I need to do to arrange this??

Thanks again folks. happy caching!

:D

However many caches are in the area covered by the PQ, up to a maximum of 1,000 caches, will be in the PQ as the two files.

Handy thing about PQs is, depending on your GPS, the limits applied to caches/files.

Sometimes you can hit a 'limit' on your GPS with the maximum number of caches loaded as single GPX files, where-as the PQ can be ONE GPX file with 1,000 caches.

TIP.

When setting up a PQ, check/select as few boxes as possible.*

You can 'run' the PQ without selecting a Day To Run, and view the results on a page.

IF they are what you expect, EDIT and select Day To Run.

If the are NOT what you expect, you can EDIT and change things, and re-run.

With the date to run NOT selected these DO NOT count as one of your daily quota.

However, you wont be sent a PQ! That only happens when Day To Run is selected.

* The common fault is selecting boxes that cancel each other out.

eg selecting Caches I Have Found, AND Caches I Have Not Found.