Help reading compass/getting directions.

gemmie89

Hello. I am new to Geocaching, and have found 3 so far. But am really struggling with reading the compass and getting the directions through my phone. And my finds so far seem to take ages and ages and I think it's because I don't understand the map/compass properly to take me to the proper place the cache is hidden. Any help and added tips would be great, Thanks.

I'm using a Nexus 4 and my other half has got a LG G2 and we seem to struggle reading them both with the compass on the app. We load it up, and click on the Geocache then press start which should take us to the location. It tells us it in metres, but the compass doesnt show anything, the hands are always pointing the same way and we never know which direction we should be heading in.

So how did you find the three you've found so far? Obviously you've had some success navigating to a set of coordinates. What is the compass doing or not doing that's making it difficult for you?

You say you are following the arrow and watching the distance count down in meters? I'm not understanding. The issue. As long as you keep walking in the direction the arrow is pointing, once the distance gets down to less than 10 meters or so, you're there. Put the phone away and start looking for the cache.

Some phones and GPS's get confused and get wonky when you're not moving or moving very slowly....they track better when they have a constant motion in a consistent direction. If you've stopped moving and the arrow seems to be wandering around aimlessly, try walking about 100' away from the cache site and approaching it again at a good walking pace. Sometimes that helps. C

Edited by Chief301

I was thinking I may get a better GPS gadget. I use my Iphone and also I have download the local caches to VIEWRANGER as i have the 1:25000 scale maps on it, but I know the reading can be out. (I read the maps and the land as much as the GPS)

Thank re RE advice on moving next time I will try that.

TODAY the clue said "At GZ you will likely be standing over the cache. It's at arms length." Well my iphone said I was in the middle of the River. and you need to be at the right spot. It took a while but I did find it.

It was also under some trees which can really effect the signal to.

Edited by GeoLovesGreen

I've never used the compass while caching. I just look at the map, follow tracks and/or roads and when getting closer to a WP or cache follow the general line on the map and start looking around for "obvious" spots. The more caches you find, the more obvious spots you'll recognize.